Author Topic: HB W 29 Lifting points  (Read 1676 times)

Offline malaula

HB W 29 Lifting points
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:36:37 PM »
Even WNW missed that detail-where were the hooks for lifting by crane attached to?Must have been at least 3 eyelets or whatever inside the observers pit and the engine compartment...any ideas or photos ?

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: HB W 29 Lifting points
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 01:31:05 AM »
   The W.12 had two "eyelets" for this on the leading edge of the upper wing. I'm about to add them to my Build as they too are missing.The only photo I have seen of a W.29 on the lifting harness is Photo 47 in the Data File, and unfortunately the details are covered by a fellow standing on the wing. Have you checked the Wingnut Wings Photo Gallery?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:27:32 AM »
what's logical to me based on photos on WNW site:

Front: rear motor mount, both sides
Rear: front cockpit, both sides where spar meets floor

Offline malaula

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:57:28 AM »
 Bo,īthat is what I thought about,too,but is there enough space between the engine and the cowling cut out to allow the cables running straight in an angle to join those from the observers pit ?

Offline malaula

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 07:19:22 PM »
Thank you Steve,I know were the cables go on Biplanes like the HB W12 .According to Idflieg directive minimum 2 lifting points ( W 12,W19 ,FF49,= 2 ; Alb W4=4 )for lifting by crane were mandatory for seaplanes.The question is were do they go on the  W29 without damaging the cowling/observers pit cutout when moved ?

Offline malaula

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »
Should have listened to Lance's advice!WNW archive features two pics of a dismantled W29 post war at Wilhelmshaven showing the lifting cables fixed somewhere to the upper longeron in the observers pit and at about the middle of the engine compartment.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 12:19:03 AM »
Should have listened to Lance's advice!WNW archive features two pics of a dismantled W29 post war at Wilhelmshaven showing the lifting cables fixed somewhere to the upper longeron in the observers pit and at about the middle of the engine compartment.

There's actually about half a dozen good shots there showing the cable routings; I always miss the wealth of info in these archives as well. Big bold note to self!!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 12:21:08 AM »

If we are talking about this photo:

To me it looks like the front lifting cables are attached to the rear motor mounts; the rear lifting cables surely appear to be going into the pilot's cockpit (not observer's) -- maybe attached to longeron, but to me it makes more sense that they would be tied to the main spar.

Offline malaula

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 12:30:52 AM »
You're absolutely right ,Bo, I don't know why I confused that :-[!