Author Topic: Morane-Saulnier L  (Read 9692 times)

Offline Edo

Morane-Saulnier L
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:38:33 PM »
Hi all!
It has been high time for me to post something... as I have been mostly passive since my joining the forum, (to tell the truth I was engaged in another build: a Male tank diorama, but that's another story...).

Now here I am with a new plane build.
When I first saw this model built by a brazilian fellow modeller I fell in love with it immediately: I never saw such a fancy desing... it had to be mine!

More easy to say than doing, as the kit is rather old (1995, I guess) and way out of production... Fortunately I was well directed to a brazilian ebay-like site where I found it, at last, at an undisclosed and wooping price (never know who ever read this post, and if it happens to be SWMBO, I could find myself to sleep in the doorway! ;) ).

Well, a long story short, here is the start:

On opening the box, I was a little disappointed: the plastic sprue is very poorly modeled and there is a lot of etched parts to deal with  :-\...
Now: being a clumsy modeller I have still not found a way to come to a deal with etched parts... I hate to cut them out of the fret (somehow they always twist in the process), I hate to bend them (they always happen to break), I hate to glue them (to my fingers, mean  :o)...

Anyway,I am not to give up! And, what the hell, let's also bring the plastic up a bit! Who ever wants an easy life, stay away of modelling!!  ;)

So, with this new determination of mine, I decided to rebiuld the fusolage:

I also added something I saw on Des's builds (ehm, don't call it copycat, it's called inspiration!), but it seems to me out way of scale and, francly, are really needed?

Anyway, the fusolage build continues...

Next I focused on the sturts 'problem'. They are etched brass ( >:() and, above that, bi-dimesional... Trying to find a way to give them more depth, I come out with the sandwich idea  ::), which is to say, cut them out and glue them to a sheet of styrene, than file it to shape (this is a pic of the first stage of the process, not very clear indeed, but more to follow...)

Well, that's all for now...
ciao
Edo
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:43:51 PM by Edo »

Offline Whiteknuckles

Re: Morane-Saulnier L
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »
Some interesting progress there Edo ;)

Looking great so far!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:41:19 PM »
Great to see you building this model Edo, it will be a very interesting build and one I will be watching. Thanks for using the idea I used on my Taube for the fuselage frame rigging attachments, my build is 1:32 scale so the size is more appropriate for the scale, for your 1"48 scale the quarter circles would have to be a lot smaller, but you achieved a fine result, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Edo

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:15:27 AM »
Thank you Andrew an Des!
Yes, this build is bringing back my mojo...
As far as the rigging attachment: well, they seemed not to be glued all that well, so when I satrted drilling they came off one after the other, if they did't want to stay there who am I to oblige them? So I decided against them after all  ;)

Wht I am now doing is to drill through the structure and insert an eyelet... You'll see...
Ciao
Edo

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:48 AM »
Excellent job, so far, Edo.  As Andrew said, interesting approach to the framing.
Cheers
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »
A cool little model Edo. Keep it up!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
Edo,
   Really great to see you active again, I always enjoy your projects! Nice work so far; wish I'd known you were looking for this Kit, I have one in my old stash from the 1:48 Scale era of my aging process. I've no idea of what it's worth but would have let it go to an old I'Net Buddy for less then the going rate for sure.
Keep those updates coming :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Edo

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
Hallo and thank you guys!
as i promised you here are some new pics.
(I know, I know... WNW annuncement today is distracting, but I am sure my build will capture your attention back!  ;))
so here are the sandwich sturts:

while here is the fusolage... it is taking shape, isn't it?

here is the cockpit (I rebiuld the throttle as the photohetched part  is very poor to me...)

Lasly I want to show you a couple of pics of the wing... what do you think? I am not completely satisfied with its look... do you think it rapresents well the translucency of the CDL? Any suggestion?

Oopss... I almost forget... here is the engine (still work in progress...)

ciao
Edo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »
Very nice, Edo.

Offline Adam

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »
Fuselage looks very well,  :D abut wing, it need better picture, it is to dark  :(

Adam.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 12:58:01 AM »
  Edo,
Love your work on the the airframe my old friend. Looking forward to more outstanding work to come.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Edo

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 02:40:20 AM »
Hi guys!
thank you for the kind comments!
Adam: I'll try to get some better pictures!

ciao
Edo

Offline xmald

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 10:51:23 PM »
Very nace looking fusselage frame!!! I like your idea of coping with struts. I`m going to use it since the same model is in my stash.

About the wing I have to say that I don`t like the effect. On the top wing surfaces normally as far as I have noticed only the rib tapes are visible. Just make them lighter than the rest of the wing. At the same time on the bottom part of the wing the elements of wing construction are visible. You can use one of techniques described on the homepage. Also you can use yellow, ochre and umber chalks to make CDL look more vivid and stained.
Best regards
Filip

Offline Edo

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 02:44:14 PM »
Hi Xmald!
I don't like the effect, too... :-\
Usually my ribs are lighter then the wing, but I wanted to simulate the transparency of it so I tried a dark version.
What you say makes sense... But at what home page are you referring?
Thank you
Ciao
Edo

Offline Adam

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
Edo.
I suggest compromise.  ;D
Leave lover side of wing as it is. Dark shadow of rips in this case will be OK. Change upper side, because from top is no shadow than paint rips lighter color.

Adam.