Author Topic: Morane-Saulnier L  (Read 9693 times)

Offline xmald

Re: Morane-Saulnier L
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 03:51:04 AM »
I agree with Adam. Leave the lower surfaces of the wing darker. The homepage I`m reffering to is ww1aircraftmodels.com
There you go: http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page9.html
The know how of shading wings are described here.
I can`t wait till I see some more photos of your Morane  :D
Best regards
Filip

Offline Edo

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »
Hi guys!
Great tips here!
Thank you very much!
I'll do what you say: upper wing lighter ribs, lower wing darker ribs.
I'll show you the results and we'll see how it goes.

The picture of that morane L is stunning. Is it a flying model?
Thank you again
Ciao
Edo

Offline Edo

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 11:41:57 PM »
hi all!
I have some update for you...
first of all I redid the wing, now only the underside is painted, and I feel defetely better about it... but I am not sure for the upper side... I think that also there the ribs should be darker.... what do you think? Anyway, here are some pics...

Then I continued the fusolage... I used very thin paper for the wrapping and I am very happy with it... My problem is if I have to leave a side uncovered to view the inside...

That's all for now...
Hope you enjoy...

ciao
Edo

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 01:12:31 AM »
Lovely work Edo my old friend, I'm not a fan of the MS so missed your posts, I'm glad I stopped by and peeked at it.

Great work with the fuselage formers, as for CDL... theres so many opinions far more knowledgeable than mine I won't comment except to say it looks really nice  so far.

Happy modelling my friend

Keith.
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline xmald

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 03:57:35 AM »
Hi! You`re going in the right direction with the bottom of the wing. It could look more regular in my opinion (sharp). Just like I said ribs in majority of cases won`t cast a shadow on the upper surfaces Just paint the rib tapes with a different shade of the base colour and it`ll be enough.. I`ve made that   mistake (reproducing the wing structure on the upper surface) on my Morane N, but the bottom is fine take a look if you want:
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=148.0
Best regards
Filip

Offline Edo

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 11:35:21 PM »
Thank you very much for the kind comments!
Keith, I hope I'd succede to bring you over the MS side!  ;) I'd love to se you tackle such a subject!

Filip: thank you very much for the info. Your MS i superb! I did the ribs with a sepia pencil and the lines resulted a little blurred, but enough for you to spot it... what did you use for yours?

thank you again
ciao
edo

Offline xmald

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 02:56:05 AM »
I was so focused on the wings that I`ve forgotten to mention that the fusselage is a piece of art in my opinion. It looks fantastic and it really would be a shame to cover it!
When it comes to the wing in my Morane, I just used the paint - (some light brown) I don`t remember which one on the bottom of the wings and I`ve added some white to the CDL base to produce rib tapes on the bottom of the wing.
Best regards
Filip

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »
Edo,
   I've been away and just opened this; really impressive work, nice to see you back into the WWI topics! Your have really "nailed" the translucency of the CDL and the effect is very real. Looking forward to more...
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Edo

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 03:03:57 PM »
Hi Filip and Lance!
Thank you very much for your kind worlds!
I think too that the fusolage has turned out very good... Even if there are mistakes.... So maybe I'll leave a side uncovered after all....

By the way, I just noticed I mounted the rocker arms of the engine sideways while it should be frontways....  :-\ Of course too late to improve it, as the superglue has completely set and ther is no way to emove the brass without breaking it.... Did I mention I hate PE?

Also the engine plus rocker arms is too big for the coil...  :-[.... So again, removing the rocker arms could be a possibility: if I break no more than 3 of them in the process it should be ok, as the cylinders without rocker arms will go under the coil... Mmmmm don't really know... What do you suggest?

Thank you my friends!
Ciao
Edo
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:05:41 PM by Edo »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »
Your fuselage turned out very well Edo, leaving one side uncovered is a great idea, at least you won't be hiding all the detail work you have put into it.

CA is a great glue, it is super strong but it has one flaw, it does not have good shear strength, I have used CA to hold brass bracing rods on my tail booms while doing the rigging, then all I do is hold the rod with a pair of pliers and give it a twist, it pops off no problems, I don't know if you will be able to do the same with your rocker assembly but I think with a little gentle persuasion they will come off without causing too much damage. Like you said, three of them will be hidden under the cowl so this gives you a little latitude, good luck.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Adam

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
I agree with above opinions, live one side of fuselage opened.
Adam.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 08:39:49 AM »
Beautiful build Edo, indeed it would be a pity hiding that superb interior works...
Ciao
Antonio

Offline Edo

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 06:06:51 PM »
Hi guys!
Thank you very much for the kind comments and the tips!
Don't have any picture for you, yet, but I just wanted to update you on the work in progress...
I happly moved the rocker arms of the engine! As Des said it was not that difficult, after all: a twist did the trick!
Not all went well, nevertheless as only 4 of them were reusable, but that was enought.

I decided to paint the cockarde on the wings: it was my very first attempt but I set to it with no particular stress as if something went wrong, I still had the decals...  ;D
Tell you that I am quite happy with the results. I'll post some pics soon so you can judge for yourselves... ok, maybe the shadows of the ribs is a little overdone in my firs cockarde, but I had 3 more to improve! and I think I got better as I climbed the learning curve ;D 

In fact that decision tourned out to be a particularly blessed one because when I tried to use the provided decals for the tail makings they simply dissolved in water !!  >:( Never seen such a mess before... completely unusable.... now imagine my stress level if I had not painted the cockarde...

Fortunately those early planes did not have a lot of markings but I now face the problem of how to replace the beautiful "356" number on the fusolage... if you have any clue, please tell me: any advice is warmly welcomed!

That is all for now!
ciao
Edo
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:10:51 PM by Edo »

Offline Edo

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 05:36:05 PM »
Hi guys!
Here I am with an update!
The build went very fast in the last fiew days: maybe one single wings helps in speeding up the process...

This is all for now!
thank you for watching!!

ciao
Edo