Author Topic: Rigging For Everyone  (Read 56425 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Rigging For Everyone
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2017, 06:49:07 AM »
I've just printed out the PDF version for guidance during my WNW RFC Pup build. Thanks a lot gents!

Offline Ginger Weir

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »
Such a useful thread. Thanks everyone for the huge labours of love here.
You got wires, going in.......

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:58 AM »
Evidently, the older I get the slower I get. I've just come across this tutorial and found it most useful. With seven WNW kits in the cache and one more on the bench, this information is first rate for me. Thanks to all who put it together!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline KirkH

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2018, 04:25:00 AM »
I found the tutorial interesting, but in many ways frustrating.  I want to tackle rigging, but there are simply far too many options.  turnbuckles, no turnbuckles, EZ Line, fishing line, stretched sprue, eyelets, no eyelets, drill through the wings, don't drill through the wings, etc.  I don't know where to start.  I have a couple Wingnut Wings models and I want to rig them, but their instructions tell me not to use turnbuckles and to just drill out the rigging holes and use EZ-Line.  Is that what I should do?  Is that the best way for a beginner to start rigging?  To me it seems like the best way to go because it appears to offer the least number of chances for frustration.  Using the tutorial here I need to buy wire somewhere to make eyelets and then find a female willing to give me her used pantyhose.  I could try asking some women at work, but fear it'll lead to a restraining order or two.  I just want someone to tell me which method will produce good results for the first timer.  Is the method suggested by Wingnut Wings difficult?

This is like when my wife sends me to the store and asks me to get feta cheese.  Then when I get there I see 12,000 different kinds of feta.  Rigging is probably not that difficult, but it's daunting simply because everywhere a newbie like me looks, somebody suggests a different way of doing it.

Sorry for the rant,

Kirk

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2018, 05:29:37 AM »
In short there are 2 rigging options, functiional and non-functional.

the first is when you need the strength of a (fishing) line to help hold the wings together or prvent them from bending onder their own weight (resin kits for instance).
Then you use the eye-let/turnbuckle or eyelet/brass tube as a turnbuckle or the 'trough the wing' options, your choice.

The second option is with a stretchy wire, EZ line or similar. That does not provide strenght but also does not distort the plastic (WnW Taube comes to mind there). There the most used method is drill shallow holes and simply glue a lenght or stretchy wire (a little shorter then the actual distance so that it is slightly stretched).

Whether you NEED sytrenght is up to you/the kit in question, but if you do not need the strenght, EZ line is by for the simplest methode, all you need is thin CA glue, a small drill bit and some EZ line.

If want to go the other routes, Bob still does his eyelets http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/index.html
and does brass tube sections as well or you go the more expensive Gaspatch way http://www.gaspatchmodels.com/turnbuckles/

I personnaly think most if not all kits don't need structural rigging if you build the model good and strong (pinning the wings with brass wire where necessary), but I still use the gaspatch way because I think it is the best looking.

So it half a choice about strenth and have about looks. Why not try a version on a plane and then an other option on the next? That is what I did and those early versions are not ugly or strange as you can hardly see the differance from a distance

Offline KirkH

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2018, 06:36:07 AM »
It's just that I read the guide here and think I need to order brass tubing, wire for eyelets, etc. and then I read the guide at WnW and they say all I need is EZ-Line and some CA glue.  Then I go somewhere else and it suggests a third option, and so on, and so on.  I'm thinking for the models I'm working on right now (a 1/48th Eduard Nieuport 16 and a DML/Dragon 1/48th Fokker DVII) the EZ-Line method would probably be best.  Plus it just seems to be simpler for a beginner.

Also, I'll see many times where people mention painting their rigging.  Can EZ-Line be painted or is it usually left as is?

Thanks for the help,

Kirk

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2018, 06:46:17 AM »
Kirk,   
    I use MR. Metal Color #213 "Stainless" to paint EZ Line, just did some on my Camel interior frame rigging earlier today. Works quite well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2018, 07:36:04 AM »
I tend to disagree with WNW suggesting EZ line for beginners. For me it is difficult to try to attach the second end of the line holding it with tweezers, aiming at the hole and waiting for CA glue to get hold.
For any WNW kit for a beginner I suggest using the basic version of structural rigging with two eyelets, two tubes and monofilament line. When you master it, one or two kits should be enough, then you may wish to try turnbuckles.
For practice you may also try to rig an empty plastic sprue. Drill two holes at opposite corners of a rectangular space, embed two eyelets and then try to pass a line through it with two tubes as if it was a biplane wing bay, as in pages 17 to 26 of the tutorial.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline rayb24

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2018, 08:57:02 AM »

This is like when my wife sends me to the store and asks me to get feta cheese.  Then when I get there I see 12,000 different kinds of feta.  Rigging is probably not that difficult, but it's daunting simply because everywhere a newbie like me looks, somebody suggests a different way of doing it.

Kirk
I think you have to just pick one method try it, could be on a new model or better still it could be on some shelf of doom carcass. It’s just play first few times so who cares... Also the model can be anything it’s just scrap to practise the new skill on.   Keroburner with wing rigging to fuselage or tail
Once you are ok with the easiest method try another.. but unless your anal about it how many use more than one oR two methods.
Also structural rigging why is it needed if everything is pinned?

I loved the comment about feta.  I thought it was just me trying to figure out which one to get and always getting it wrong
Ray

Online Dave Brewer

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
I usually pin but still worry that wings may sag over time, so I always  use structural  rigging.It also makes a model much stronger.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2018, 10:18:34 AM »
Kirk,
    I understand your frustration, there are so many options! I completely agree with Przemol, a little practice with the eyelets and tubes using monofil Fishing line is the best way to start. You can "graduate" to the other methods as you gain experience and competence.
    I would recommend you order an assortment of tubes and eyelets from Bob's Buckles, they come in different scales for the eyelets. A short PM to Bob will get you a recommendation for what you need along with a spool of monofilament fishing line. I prefer 0.12 mm or .005 inch line for 1;32 and used to use 0.10 in 1:48 Scale.     
    Later on you can start working with Gas Patch buckles, EZ Line, and/or Modelkasten elastic thread. If you use the tubes and eyelet method with the tutorial you'll master it in no time. It ain't "rocket science' but like anything it just takes a little practice!
   Good Luck!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KirkH

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2018, 04:20:25 AM »
Wingnut Wings says to use a CA accelerator to speed up the drying process, so maybe that's the best way to do the CA/EZ-Line method.  I'm tempted by Bob and his buckles, but I have a question: do most people make/cut their own eyelets/tubes or do you buy them?  I ask because I'd be tempted to make my own if I could get my hands on the right wire and tubing.  From the front page of this site it doesn't look like it would be too difficult.  Still, if I only have to go to one place for eyelets, tubes, and line, that's sort of hard to pass up.

Thanks,

Kirk 

Offline KirkH

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2018, 05:23:07 AM »
Also, I assume different techniques are used for different lines.  In other words, if I'm putting in a control line that comes out of the fuselage and attaches to a control horn, I wouldn't be using eyelets/turnbuckles for where the line emanates from the fuselage.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2018, 05:34:59 AM »
Wingnut Wings says to use a CA accelerator to speed up the drying process, so maybe that's the best way to do the CA/EZ-Line method.  I'm tempted by Bob and his buckles, but I have a question: do most people make/cut their own eyelets/tubes or do you buy them?  I ask because I'd be tempted to make my own if I could get my hands on the right wire and tubing.  From the front page of this site it doesn't look like it would be too difficult.  Still, if I only have to go to one place for eyelets, tubes, and line, that's sort of hard to pass up.

Thanks,

Kirk

Making you own eyelets and cutting brass tube is absolutely feasible. Me, I am too lazy with eyelets and prefer buying Bob's stuff, except for those which I combine with Gaspatch turnbuckles. With tube I prefer the polyimide amber tubing. It is easy to cut with razor and when glued it "disappears'  thanks to its transparency, contrary to brass ones which stand out strongly if not painted.
But you can start with what Bob offers - it is very fine material for the starters.

Also, I assume different techniques are used for different lines.  In other words, if I'm putting in a control line that comes out of the fuselage and attaches to a control horn, I wouldn't be using eyelets/turnbuckles for where the line emanates from the fuselage.
Absolutely right. There are also some rigging lines which anchor points are inside, under linen or metal panels, then it is more realistic to drill a hole and glue the line into it.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2018, 05:37:49 AM »
Kirk,
 Making eyelets is easy. Making eyelets that are consistent within a batch takes a little practice, but If I can do it, anyone can  ;)
I would encourage you to have a go. What's the worse that can happen?

Good luck and happy buckling!

von B   ;) :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith