Author Topic: Old Warden - August 2016  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Suffolk Lad

Old Warden - August 2016
« on: August 15, 2016, 08:26:05 AM »
Hi Guys -

These pics were taken last week at Old Warden. As mentioned elsewhere the wind was too high for any of the WWI aircraft to fly though several of them were out on the grass when we arrived. Obviously a decision was made as suddenly 'men in white coats' appeared and very quickly had them back in the hangars. These were just 'snaps' hastily taken with a Nikon Coolpix but I hope they serve to show what a great day out we had despite the lack of WWI types in the air

There were some stunning vintage cars too - I fell in love with this pair at first sight - Sue in 1974 that is ;)

Hope they are of interest for some

Regards - Tug

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:40:02 AM by Suffolk Lad »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Old Warden - August 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:06:10 AM »
 Tug,
Thank you very much for the outstanding photographs my old friend. It's a crying shame the wind prevented the WWI kites from flying though.A few questions for you. Is the aircraft in the first photograph a Blackburn Monoplane? The second concerns G-EAGA , is she a Sopwith Dove? Those are the only two I wasn't certain of their type. As for the vintage vehicles and Sue,great eye for beauty my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 12:24:38 PM »
   Great photos Tug, and what a line up! Although they didn't get off the ground I'd have loved to wander around in that gaggle!
   Thanks for sharing these.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 06:10:54 PM »
Thanks for sharing these wonderful pics, Tug!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 06:19:08 PM »
Thanks for the great pictures Tug!  Must have been like dying
and going to heaven to wander around amongst those jewels. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 06:23:57 PM »
I never get tired of seeing pictures taken from Old Warden - Cheers!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 06:30:41 PM »
Thanks very much Tug for posting these amazing photos.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline boggie

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »
Great photos Tug!

And great definition too. They look very professional on my monitor.

Thank you for sharing  :)

Whoever did the streaking paint job on the DR1 certainly got it right.

I would be happy to buy him a few beers to learn his technique! 

Cheers and I hope you had a very happy Unbirthday.   ;D

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 09:01:16 PM »
Hi Tig

Thanks for posting the photos. Like so many others, I never tire of seeing such material.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 09:08:30 PM »
Hi Guys - glad you like them - only too pleased to post them for you  :)

Gregory, I believe it is the Blackburn Monoplane and indeed the Sopwith Dove - just wish they would repaint it  ::)

Sue and I have visited OW on so many occasions over the years but mainly for the aeromodelling event days/weekends there. At those times virtually all the time was spent out on the field flying free flight models so visits to the museum itself was a very infrequent event. We have been to several shows as well however but nowhere in the same proportion.

Memorable events were seeing the SE5a flying for the first time and once, when camping for a model weekend the all red Fokker Triplane sat by the gate throughout. We decided to stay over on the Sunday night then, when virtually everyone was gone and around seven in the evening, we heard this engine start up. The Triplane was taken off and really put through its paces quite literally right in front of us and a few others gathered at the gate - what a treat that was  :) Sadly the Triplane was written off in a fire some time later.

Another that is firmly etched in the memory banks was on leaving late in the day we saw the DH Puss Moth coming back from somewhere. The evening sun was low and reflecting off it's dark blue surfaces as it seemingly skimmed the golden corn fields on approach - truly an iconic moment and one where a decent camera really was needed.

Talking of cameras - Boggie, I was surrounded by guys and one or two women who had some pretty professional looking camera gear. I felt quite inferior with my little old pocket Nikon Coolpix but I guess it's the result that counts  ;)

Glad you enjoyed them guys - here's to next year  :)

Regards - Tug

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »
Thank you for sharing your photos. I wish i could have been there, too.

S.

Offline boggie

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 10:37:19 PM »
"Talking of cameras - Boggie, I was surrounded by guys and one or two women who had some pretty professional looking camera gear. I felt quite inferior with my little old pocket Nikon Coolpix but I guess it's the result that counts"

Hahaha  ;D.  Definately nothing inferior with your results! Clearly your weapon of choice was most suitable for the task  ;).  I would be curious to see the quality achieved by those with the "superior technology". Perhaps not as "cool" as your Coolpix I suspect.   8)

Please take it with you next year. I am greedy for more.  :D       

Offline hsmed

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 05:56:36 AM »
Like Tug I also visited Old Warden the 7th of august and I had a great day - even if the oldest aeroplanes were not able to fly.

But a few days later - just before I was going to Stansted airport to catch my plane back to Denmark - I decided to drive by Old Warden again. Just to wave goodbye. But lucky me! Outside the hangars was the Albatros being prepared for takeoff. So as an addition to Tug's wonderful pictures from the airshow, I have a few shots of the Albatros in the air.

Cheers
Henning

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 08:15:30 AM »
Wow Henning that was a well judged good bit of luck  :) Much like when we saw the Triplane that time.

Stunning pics of a cracking looking aircraft caught in perfect weather too - love the way that it sits in the sunlight.

Thanks very much indeed for adding these to the post  :)

Regards - Tug