Author Topic: Yealands Classic Fighters Omaka 2017  (Read 3185 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Yealands Classic Fighters Omaka 2017
« on: April 21, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »
Hi all,
Last weekend was the big biennial show at Blenheim in NZ's South Island, home to the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre. I won't bore with photos of the Yaks, Spitfires and P-40s, instead I'll stick with this forum's bread and butter.  ;D

Cyclonic weather had dumped huge amounts of rain on the region over the prior fortnight so there was a lot of mud underfoot on the all-grass field - one of the commentators said it was their Somme re-enactment! This meant "gates open" was delayed by an hour, so I took that time to visit the AHC for the umpteenth time, this time wanting to take a closer look at some of the memorabilia (as well as newer aircraft I'd not seen).

Eddie Rickenbacker's "teddy bear suit" and, at bottom right, uniform tunic.

One of four Curtiss MFs still in existence, a fairly recent addition to the display. What a pretty aircraft! Paging WNW...you have one to use as a pattern, after all!

Crockery from the Dornier Do.X and, at lower left, items belonging to Ferdinand von Zeppelin. In the same cabinet were airframe parts from one or two Zeppelins.

Items belonging to Ernst Udet including, at centre, his replacement Blue Max. My jaw literally dropped when I saw it!

One of Hermann Goering's WW2 jackets and hats.

Appropriate given today's date: items belonging to Manfred von Richtofen, including a goblet given to him on the occasion of his being awarded the Pour le Merite.

I always enjoy seeing the Bellamy Pfalz. Trust me - there's a big smile on my face! They have a cinema screen above and behind, on which is projected the first dogfight scene from The Blue Max.

The original DH.4.

Next, the flyers on the field. Well...some of them!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:37:16 PM by KiwiZac »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Yealands Classic Fighters Omaka 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 01:36:47 PM »
I'll be honest: I've been to so many shows here that I don't take pictures of many regulars unless I have a particular soft spot. Hopefully Jamo was there and can share pics of the rest!

Two of the seven Dr.Is which flew over the weekend. An eighth is based onsite but had some technical issues which prevented it flying.

Whoops, these aren't Great War types! Although I guess the Bucker Jungmann fuse is at least in the spirit of the era...

A feature of the last two shows has been the pioneer race: a relay of three teams from running, to pennyfarthings, to very veteran cars, to Edwardian-era aircraft. This year the aircraft were an Airdrome Aeroplanes Bleriot XI replica (left), the Malborough Aero Club's 1960s taxiable Bleriot XI-2, and the Bicyclette de Pischoff-inspired McNair Mynah.

Ground theatre, as always, featured the two Weta-built British tanks.

Kermit Weeks came over to fly the TVAL-built Snipe with TVAL-built Bentley.

The Rousseau-build D.VII replica, one of three built for The Blue Max, which was recently restored and lightened by TVAL.

The PPS Pfalz, a third Blue Max machine, leads the Jasta 11 lineup of triplanes.

Apologies for the lack of photos but the other WW1 types which flew were:
Nieuport XI (Le Rhone)
Airco DH.5 replica (Lycoming flat)
Sopwith Camel replica (rotary)

Also on the field was a Nieuport 16/17 replica with Le Prieurs. There's another Nieuport based on the field but I don't know if it came out at all (it's owned by the same guy as the sadly-absent black Dr.I).

Offline Bluesman

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 05:19:38 PM »
I have watched a lot of videos coming out of NZ about WW1 planes. Sure would be nice to see them in person! Thanks for posting these pics.  :)

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
Thank you for posting, looks like a great event.  Will have to add to bucket list.   ;)

Offline Alpha Delta 210

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »
Looks like a great museum, an excellent show and beautiful surroundings. Thanks for posting.