Author Topic: Featured modeller James Fahey  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Featured modeller James Fahey
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:14:35 AM »
Jamo - it's wonderful to see you as the latest Featured Modeller, a well deserved accolade, and your models are jaw-droppingly inspiring. Just magnificent work.

As a fellow brush painter I also want to applaud you for flying the flag for brushwork. Your models and your finishes are the best of the best.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Featured modeller James Fahey
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »
Jamo,
   Wonderful to see you recognized.............and your models are inspiring to say the very least!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:42:53 PM »
I owe a great deal to Mr Fahey for his excellent series of photos of the Beardmore engine.  I use these as references for detailing the engine in my WNW Fe2b, however my skills don't quite match the real thing!!!

Couldn't have done any of it without James's photo sharing though.  Many thanks!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:05:41 AM by Ian from Doncaster »

Offline James

Featured modeller James Fahey
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:28:51 PM »
Amazing work, James. I especially love the Gotha. Did you do a build log for that Gotha?
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Maxfinn

• MaxModels
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 12:18:42 AM »
Add me to the list of admirers!  Wonderful work James.  And add me to the list of modelers indebted to you for all the photo's you make available of the TVAL planes.  Your photos of the Fee have been of particular help to me in building my Fee, especially the Beardmore!

On another note, any other pictures of the Felixstowe you can share?  I love the setting and the appearance of just taking off!

Mike
Mike Moore
I just love building models!

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 01:20:38 AM »
James,

I'm also glad to see another brush painter - starting to realise there are more of us out there than I first thought!

Your models are great.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 07:46:52 AM »
Thank you all for your positive feedback, I really appreciate it. Mike: I wrote a build thread of the Felixstowe years ago on The Aerodrome here:
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/models/31274-roden-felixstowe-f2a-early-build.html

A few more photos:

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

WarrenD

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 01:58:04 AM »
James, congrats on being the featured modeler! It sure is nice and refreshing to see someone who still has a passion for 1/72nd amidst all of the current 1/32nd scale madness.  ;) ;) :) :)

I wish I could brush paint as well as you. Seems back in the day (1970's) I didn't have much of a problem with it, but I can't seem to get a handle on brushing the current crop of acryllics, nor can I achieve a satisfactory finish with enamels.
Your builds are an inspiration for me to get some dormant projects off of the shelf and make another attempt.

Warren

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »
Awesome looking seaplane and display! Inspiring to say the least!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:05:44 AM »
Okay, I'll bite. When I read James' profile and saw that he has been suffering from AMS, I immediately turned to that oh-so credible source of information, Wikipedia. I admit I was really saddened to hear that you had Ablepharon Macrostomia Syndrome, but thought your picture looked pretty good, considering that symptoms include abnormalities of the face, fingers, and, well, other areas. I was also surprised that you would share your affliction with such a disease so openly. But all the power to you. 

When no-one else seemed to think it was a big deal, then I started to cotton on...

Glad to see you're recovering, my good man. I'd hate to see such a fine person succumb to such a rare "disorder [that] may be inherited as an autosomal recessive genetic trait."  ;D

LT

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 05:32:43 AM »
Hi Lyndsay
That sounds rather scary, no I am pleased to report my AMS is 'Advanced Modelling Syndrome' where by the simple pleasure of building out of the box is lost and every build has to include all the after-market resin & PE, replacement of inaccurate parts, additional details added etc to the point where the build takes longer than the modeller has energy to complete it. A reasonable rate of completion provides the satisfaction needed to continue on. Hopefully the sap will rise again before too long.
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »
"A" stands for "Advanced?"  Hmmmmmm. I thought it was *ahem* something else...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Me too. ANALysis.

I am very pleased that someone cleared this up before I made a complete fool of myself; I always thought it was "Altruistic Modelling Syndrome". Whatever it is I suspect most of us have it, I believe it is a good thing and good for the Hobby, and you have to be afflicted with it to understand it. Scarey indeed, ain't it??!?
Cheers,
Lance ;) :)