Author Topic: Rumpler C IV 1917  (Read 7472 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Rumpler C IV 1917
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »
nice photos thanks to gunther and des for posting. my question. this looks like a diii mercedes engine. i thought the rumpler civ had the div engine. was this original to the aircraft?

Offline GHE

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 02:58:27 AM »
Dear all !

Personally I think museums are not always the apropriate address for a perfect, in-deep restoration.
Sometimes it is more a refurbishment...
Furthermore some machines went through many hands before, every owner changing something on his machine.
The next step is the exact reference material, and so on...

I think the Rumpler CIV is a nice exhibit but not a perfect all original artifact.
Is it the sole survivor so far ? I think so.

Gunther

LZeppelin rocks!

Offline GHE

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 03:08:31 AM »
Dear all!

Short note: the Rumpler carries a Daimler D. III instead of a D. IV. The Museum mentions it .
I assume that 1977 a D. IV wasn't at hand,
I think: indicates, that the machine came without an engine at all.
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline Beto

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
I think the Rumpler CIV is a nice exhibit but not a perfect all original artifact.
Is it the sole survivor so far ? I think so.

Gunther

Hi Gunther,

Fortunately this is not the only survivor. A number of original pieces collected by Marco Sommerau years ago in Belgium are being assembled into a complete airframe by Koloman Mayrhofer (builder of several top class austrian Albatros D.III replicas). See here:

http://www.jasta11.co.uk/page5.htm

Also Achim Engels was building several C.IV wings for some unknown clients in New Zealand when he decided to stop building WWI aircraft (a sad loss for all his fans, I must say), so I must assume we'll see a few new Rumplers flying in a future.

Offline GHE

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 05:20:34 AM »
Thanks! Beto!
for your fine Info; the Albatross shown at Oberschleißheim is a Mayrhofer-built , too (see photo page)

Gunther
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 10:54:53 AM »
I am going to be in Munich in a few weeks and I am set on seeing this Rumpler! (Warts and all) I am curious if I just ask my hotel concierge for directions to the Deutches Museum I will end up in the right place? Somewhere I got the idea that the aircraft are in some kind of annex. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

--Bo

Offline IvotB

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »
Bo,

I think you will get there. I googled for Deutsches Museum in München and got this. Somehow I think you have found this too already  ;)

It seems to be on the second floor in the middle of the Museum.

I would trust this information as in my experience in Germany these sites are up to date. Information not only available in german but also in english.

regards,
Ivo

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 07:26:21 AM »
Hi Bo,
I grew up in Munich and as a child I spend many holidays in the Deutsches Museum, especially the Flugzeughalle (plane's hall), to visit the Me Bf 109 (one of th kind, my my uncle used to fly during WW2). You will find the impressive Rumpler C.IV in the Flugzeughalle of the main building of the Museum (adress: Museumsinsel), which is on a little isle in the River Isar (with a very distinctive towe, see the pic here: http://www.deutsches-museum.de/information/), and only a very short walk from the town's historical centre. EVERYONE in Munich will be able to show you the way to the museum! And: No, this Flugzeughalle with the Rumpler C.IV is NOT in the Flugwerft Schleißheim, as well as it's NOT in the Verkehrszentrum, which are dependences of the Deutsches Museum - and both worth a visit. Here's some more infos: http://www.deutsches-museum.de/fileadmin/Content/010_DM/010_Information/010_Allgemein/2_2013_engl.pdf
Regards
Richard
P.S: I love Munich, please say "hello" to the town from me, when you're there...

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 04:51:17 AM »
Bo, when you plan your visit to Munich?

Servus
Bertl

Offline GHE

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 02:35:34 AM »
Hello Bo !

Yep, unfortunately the aircraft shown in the Deutsches Museum are sited at two different places !
To get to the main building is no problem, because the museum is sited amidst town.You won't miss it.
To get to the Flugwerft Oberschleißheim, the 1912 nucleus of the Royal Bavarian Fliegertruppe, is a little tricky and
to get there without a car from Munich either. A cab will be expensive... - ask  Bertl: it seems that he lives close to
MUC and wants to lend a helping hand. Myself I live 100 km north to it.
The ancient machines you will to 98% find in the main museum site; the post-war planes at Oberschleißheim- but some
pre 1914 relics, too.
If you can afford the time, visit both! but that will take some time and I think , you'd like to contemplate in front of the planes.
If you manage to afford extra time, visit Ingolstadt with the Bavarian Armay Museum and its WW I exhibit !- see my pics.
Ingolstadt is 75km north to MUC and the trip will take a 1,5 hour drive when traffic runs smooth and depending on your hotel
location.
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 04:14:54 AM »
A few detail shots of the Rumpler from when I was there last March / April (sorry Richard, Gunther & Bertl -- I did not see your replies to me on this thread as I was already traveling and too busy to keep up with the forum at the time! )

Not sure if these add anything to what G has presented; as he mentioned the plane is very hard to photograph as it is poorly lit. It was also Easter when I was there and the place was packed!

As has been noted numerous times the motor is incorrect however it still may be of interest to those modeling an aircraft powered by a D.IIIa

Offline Profa

Re: Rumpler C.IV 1917, Deutsches Museum München
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »
As an apology for being absent from the forum for quite some time (because of new job and more of family obligations), here are pics of the same bird I've taken a month ago when travelling from Nürnberg back to Serbia. I had only 4 hours to stay in München, and naturally all of it was spent in the Flugzeughalle...

Since the camera I have is not a state-of-the-art, I had hard time trying to zoom and catch all the details, at the same time avoiding to use flash.
Luckily, there was one guy from museum staff who kindly offered to follow him over the rope and get the details I want (needless to say I was ).
So, here are close-up shots:

It showed up that he is also a modeller and fan of WWI, so we started talking about Roden, WnW, rigging, paintbrush techniques...
My best regards to him

p.s. I have also pics in higher resolution, if anybody needs it please PM me...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 09:38:21 PM by Profa »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 07:20:37 AM »
Many thanks to Bo and to Profa for adding all the additional photos, these are an invaluable reference source for anyone wanting to super detail their model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
Many thanks to Bo and to Profa for adding all the additional photos, these are an invaluable reference source for anyone wanting to super detail their model.

Des.

Hear, hear!  Thanks fellows. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »
Thanks for the Photos guys! They are not only terrific in their own right but made me aware of this older thread I had missed!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler