Author Topic: Rumpler C IV 1917  (Read 7467 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Rumpler C IV 1917
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:38:36 AM »
These photos were sent to me by Gunther, he took the photos at the Deutsches Museum, Munich - many thanks to Gunther for allowing me to post the images on the forum.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Rumpler C IV 1917
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
Des,
   Thanks for forwarding these and special Thanks to Gunther for sharing them. Great coverage and super quality all round.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Jose Chaica

• Jose "Von Muttley" Chaica
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »
These pictures are great reference. Thanks for sharing.  :)
Jose Chaica, from Portugal.

Offline James

Rumpler C IV 1917
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:31:38 PM »
These photos are amazing! Thanks to Gunther for taking them and allowing Des to share them. Is it just me, but does the lozenge looks to be original.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:45:43 AM by James »
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 12:34:02 AM »
Great pics, thanks! Especially interesting to note the extra wrap of lozenge fabric along the wing and tail edges...

Ian

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 06:34:35 AM »
  Des,
Many thanks to you and Gunther for sharing these excellent reference photos with us my old friend. I was quite surprised to notice all the details known to be there but seldom seen like the wrapping of the internal structures. I'd be totally remiss if I failed to mention the excellent quality of the photography as well. Again many thanks to you both.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline MammaAiuto

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 08:34:40 AM »
Hello all,

I am curious is this museum airplane is in it's original finish or was restored !!! .
The fabric look strange only one kind of  color fabric, it's like all the wing and fuselage
was covered by the under surface 4 color !!!.

Like all other members.... a huge  ''Thanks '' to place those picture available here they are greats and
will be very welcome for my 1/72 Joystick Rumpler C,IV if my memory is good

Thanks

Marc P

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »
Yes, thanks Des and Gunther for making these available. These complement those on the WNW site of the same machine nicely.

Incidentally the captions on the WNW site caution us to be skeptical of specific details on this machine, apparently there are discrepancies...

Offline James

Rumpler C IV 1917
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:57 PM »
Yes, thanks Des and Gunther for making these available. These complement those on the WNW site of the same machine nicely.

Incidentally the captions on the WNW site caution us to be skeptical of specific details on this machine, apparently there are discrepancies...
UncleTony, do you know what these discrepancies might be?

Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 12:04:30 AM »
James, all I know at the present is what the WNW captions say. I hope to build the Rumpler one day and when I do I will do my homework...

Offline GHE

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 01:37:54 AM »
Dear friends of WW 1 Aviation !
Through WingnutWings and the search for modelling information I came into contact with Des and marvelled at his beautifully built  aeroplanes.
I myself returned to the hobby some 10 years ago , being a 1/35 tanker from childhood days. But nevertheless I always had a knack for aircraft kits, 1/72 in former days, but now I prefer the 1/32 gauge due to detailing etc. .
Though the market is full of WW 2 models I always longed for WW 1 items, not only aircraft kits. Finally we got at least aircraft
models from Roden and WNW.
In the course of talking to one another I sent Des frames that I took at Oberschleißheim (spoken: obashlyzhyme) Aerodrome, now part of the Deutsches Museum, Munich .
Personally I think that we all would enjoy to have money and time to travel all the museums around the world, but this is not
possible.
Books often do not show enough although nowadays the printed photos are much better.
Therefore I thought it a good idea to do it DIY, digital imaging allows to take as much frames as the SD-card will deliver!
Those photos should be shared with other enthusiasts.
With the Rumpler I couldn't get closer* (still lack a tele lens) and due to very bad lighting conditions had to go into the high ISO
numbers 800-1000. * + due to museum barriers;
The Rumpler C IV  does not carry the apropriate engine being a Daimler D III instead of a D IV.
The Rumpler was restored in 1977 by Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm (MBB) and in those days I think restorations weren't always
as good - information wise - as nowadays ( there is no further info on the museum placard; I'll send the text to Des)
Interesting as it is in a Natural Science Museum: cutaways are a horror to me unless you do not have several items of the same kind. I think nowadys you won't do that any longer to unicates.
The Lozenge pattern is faded ; I had to redo all frames in Lightroom (mixed lighting conditions) and pushed up dynamics a little
bit.
kind regards, Gunther
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 06:22:10 AM »
Thanks for the great information, Gunther!!!

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »
All I'll say after doing some research for my Rumpler Early build is this **DO NOT USE THIS PICS AS DEFINITIVE REFERERANCE** when building. Many details are correct but I read somewnere it isn't typical may be a mix and match of other C variants too.

The power plant is a good pointer *Wrong model of Merc*,  The clear wing covering also isnt period correct. some of the interior arrangement is suspect to. So please take care if using any replica/restored examples for refererance.

That said there really are some lovely detail points in these pics and I thank Gunther for sharing them

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline mikeceleskey

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »
Thanks a bunch. The CIV is my current WNW build (back in the box while I try to finish something else). However, it WILL get finished. I was recently at the IPMS Nats and was sorta disappointed at the lack of WWI entries.
Mike

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »
I think with a lot of museum specimens, they are not totally correct. Sourcing further information is a must and a comparison of notes will show any errors. In most cases the aircraft on display show what that particular aircraft 'looked' like, it gives the visitors a general feel and to most people it appears to be correct, I suppose  - near enough is good enough - except for the die hard purists.

Mike, the last model show I went to had no WW1 models on display, it was very disappointing, maybe this shows just how small our little corner of the market is. Wingnuts have done a tremendous job in rejuvenating the WW1 model aircraft genre, but it will take a lot of work to convert modelers into building two wings with rigging, it scares a lot of people.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com