Author Topic: Caudron GIV 1/72 scratch build  (Read 21309 times)

Offline lone modeller

Caudron GIV 1/72 scratch build
« on: July 17, 2016, 04:23:05 AM »
Evening All,

Normally I do not do either GB's or dioramas, but last year I did join a GB on this site and got such positive feedback that I am going to try again. The long build time should allow me to be able to finish the model comfortably: the dio may be a little more of a problem so I will keep that very simple indeed.

The subject which I have chosen is this:

The machine which I will model will not be the subject in the painting but a Royal Naval Air Service machine from No 5 Wing in 1916. I want to make the model with one engine exposed so I intend to use a resin kit from Small Stuff to represent the Le Rhone which will be uncowled. This will be my first attempt with resin so will be a new experience for me. More to follow when I get some plastic cut.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:35:05 AM by lone modeller »

Offline Borsos

Re: Caudron GIV 1/72 scratch build
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 05:56:41 AM »
Great subject, the Caudron G IV is one of my all time favoured. I am sure that you'll make a great model and I will follow this post closely.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 06:29:03 AM »
"Giddey up" Stephen! Great choice, and a project I'm looking forward to following! Given the response thus far this is going to be a barn burner of a GB!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 07:38:19 AM »
A great subject Stephen, looking forward to seeing how working with resin works out for you.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »
I am looking forward to following the Caudron build, Stephen...
your work is always a joy to behold, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline ermeio

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 10:52:08 PM »
great choice Stephen!

Offline Edo

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 09:55:15 PM »
wow!
a very interesting subject! Will it be a seaplane?
ciao
edo

Offline IanB

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 11:59:52 PM »
I will definitely be following this.
The G.IV is also one of my favourites and I spent a long time hunting down a vac kit of it on evilbay. I'll be watching for tips!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 04:40:46 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you gentlemen for your warm comments of support which I greatly appreciate.

Edo: no this one will not be a floatplane - it will have a conventional set of wheels. I do not know if these machines were ever mounted on floats although I could see how it could be done and it would certainly make an interesting and unusual subject.

Thank you Edgar for your suggestions: there is a small problem however i.e. I do not have the skill or patience to model all of the details which you suggest! I suspect that like the Ago this one is going to take longer than usual for me - adding all of those extra details would mean that I would probably never get it finished!

Stephen.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 04:50:27 AM »
Evening All,

Here are my kit parts: the usual collection of card, strip, rod and wood for the propellors, a Small Stuff kit of the le Rhone rotary engine which I will use, and a pack of WD Models Royal Flying Corps figures which will be in the proposed diorama.

I had cut some plastic for the Caudron: more correctly I have moulded some plastic first and then cut and shaped it. I decided to start on the cowlings and to do this I shaped the end of a piece of dowel from an old chair leg support. The female was simply a hole drilled into a piece of plywood and 30 thou card was used to make the mouldings. I had to try four times before i could get two decent cowls but I managed. The photo shows the stages of manufacture from mould on the left. cut out mould in the centre and finished article on the right. The edges of the cowl have been sanded very fine as the metal was thin on the originals.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:38:29 AM by lone modeller »

Offline IanB

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 05:35:37 AM »
Good way to start - the easy bits!  ;)

Ian

Offline Borsos

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
Great cowlings! They make the 'face' of the Caudron imho and you gave her a smile...
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 04:27:13 PM »
A great start Stephen, nice work with the cowls.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Eugeny Knupfer

• Small Stuff Models
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 07:20:15 PM »
Good luck with your project, Stephen! I hope the engines will help.

Caudron G.IV was actually my first attempt at scratch building. Apparently, years ago I had translated the lengthy article detailing the whole process into English, and it's still available on some long dead site. Maybe you'll find something useful there.

http://scaleclub.org/blog/props/23.html

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 08:05:56 AM »
Thanks Ian, Borsos , Des and Eugeny for the encouraging remarks. I greatly appreciate the fact that you have dropped by and made such positive comments.

Eugeny: I bought some of your engines some time ago and can honestly write that I was totally dumbstruck at the amount of detail that you have managed to get into such tiny pieces! This was my first experience of studying a resin kit and I simply could not believe that it was possible to do what you have done. I had already found your exceptional model, (for those reading this and who do not know of the article referred to, the model illustrated is 1/72 and cast in resin), and it was one of the reasons why I had chosen to try my hand at one, albeit in plastic. I have a feeling that the best part of my build when it is finished will be your engine! It is my intention that your resin engine will be shown uncowled and will be the focus of the diorama: I just hope that the remainder of the model will do it justice.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:02:53 AM by lone modeller »