Author Topic: Lindberg 1911 Avro Biplane 1/48th  (Read 35459 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Lindberg 1911 Avro Biplane 1/48th
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 07:21:21 AM »
I too remember building these kits under the Inpact label more years ago than I care to remember! In fact I enjoyed the Avro biplane so much I decided to scratch build one in God's Own Scale (see scotch build section of this site). You are correct in assuming that some aircraft had the rear covered in fabric - it seems that 12 machines were eventually built but as each one was built separately they varied in individual details. The floatplane you referred to made the first take off by an aeroplane from water in the UK: it would make a most interesting variation and would not be too difficult to model (certainly not for a modeller with your skills).

Stephen.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 04:50:24 AM »
...beautiful project Dan, I'll follow you !

Offline xmald

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 07:35:04 AM »
Nice start on this one! I can`t wait till next update!
Best regards
Filip

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 06:46:34 AM »
Thanks for the support, folks!  It is a really well engineered kit and it is all square and nice so far.  The only thing I've done is cut new spaces for where the cabanes attach to the fuselage.  As is, the struts would slant too much.  I don't know if that was my fault or not, but all is well now.  Otherwise...pretty much falls together.  ;D

You'll see that I have the basic CDL scheme on though there will be some tweaking soon.  The top wing fits (so far) like a WNW kit so it's just sitting on top for show at this point.  I also painted the other general colors and wood etc.  Next I'll start putting a few pieces in the cockpit, a seat for my pilot and begin basic rigging with control surfaces first.  It will be fun to detail the engine a bit and I've made a hole for a fuel line to come from the wing tank.  The old photos of this plane are pretty handy.

After putting this together, I am still unsure if parts of the landing struts should be metal rather than wood like the skids.  Some of the Avro triplane shots seem to suggest there is tubing, while others could be wrapped wood.  Not sure but if I find something more definitive, it's an easy fix.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 07:40:05 AM »
Wow Dan, she's coming together beautifully, the colours you are using look superb, looking forward to seeing more of this great build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 12:51:51 PM »
Very nice work, Dan!  I really like it!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline AROTH

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 01:16:04 PM »
Foolishly, while in High School back in 1970, I took all of the engines from all of these Inpact/Pyro kits and assembled and painted the engines and props in hopes that I would eventually start assembling these kits.

Dues to my grades at the time, Dad, prohibited any model work until these grades were brought up to the required expectations
These kits have been stored away (unseen) since then and I am certain that every one of them would require total rebuilds.

Anyone have a clue on how to disassemble engines glued together from 1970?  :o

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 11:19:21 PM »
    Great work Dan, it`s going to be a really unique and beautiful addition to your shelves. For such an aged and basic Kit it has turned out to be a very accurate and appealing model, I`m anxious to see it completed, it`ll look spectacular when the rigging is added.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 05:20:35 AM »

Dues to my grades at the time, Dad, prohibited any model work until these grades were brought up to the required expectations

That's nothing but torture! There must be an international law against such cruelty!
Recovered yet?
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline AROTH

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 12:28:06 PM »
Actually, I had kind of forgotten about the incident until this build came up on the Avro - then the sad memories started coming back to me.  :'(

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »
Hi All,

Such trauma!  The worst that happened to me was my Mom throwing out my Monogram B-24 and B-25 when we moved...

I did some work on the kit engine.  It really is just fine, but I decided to add the separate parts to new upper scratch pieces since it would look neater.
The kit part:

A shot during the transition:

Almost done except for plug wires:

It looks cool in the machine and gives the illusion of more working detail than there really is.  I basically made the rocker arms, the water cooling, the cylinders, exhaust manifold and some fuel mixture odds and bobs. 

More soon!

Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 03:05:07 PM »
Even though the kit engine is not bad, what you have created is just superb, once painted and sitting in the aircraft it will look excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 08:49:31 AM »
Beautiful painting and the construction looks excellent! Your work on the engine is brilliant!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 06:05:01 AM »
Thanks, Des and RAGIII.  It's a really fun kit so far!

Here you can see I've done some more painting and highlighting the ribs a bit.  It's eye catching if a little over-done, but it breaks up all that CDL.  I also painted the engine a bit.  Tonight I'll work on my fuel line, radiator and adding the "AVRO" on the bottom wing.

Cheers,

Dan
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:07:42 AM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 06:56:54 AM »
Oooo!  Lovely!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence