Author Topic: Lindberg 1911 Avro Biplane 1/48th  (Read 35384 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Lindberg 1911 Avro Biplane 1/48th
« on: June 20, 2016, 10:22:17 AM »
Hello All,

My son got this for me as a Father's Day gift (this morning, actually) and I'm so pleased with it, I'd like to start it ASAP.  So here is the box shot.  The plastic looks really nice and it will be fun to detail.  Looks like the only major things will be making a new rear "open" fuselage and some spoke wheels.  I think the other parts look dang good and painting it to look like see-through CDL will be a challenge too.

Or...I could make floats for it and I think leave the rear fuselage covered...not sure what I'll do yet.

Watch this space!

Cheers,

Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Lindberg 1911 Avro Biplane 1/48th
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
What a great Fathers Day present, I look forward to following along with this build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »
Dan,
    That is really neat! Is Lindberg still manufacturing or was this a "relic' from the past? The Lindberg line goes back a very long time; I recall finally getting a JU-87b of theirs in the late 50's, I thought I had "died and gone to heaven" as the old expression goes!
    Hope you do a Build Log on this beauty, it's a classic! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 01:18:09 PM »
That Lindberg kit is a reincarnation of the old Pyro pre-WW1 aircraft kits from the 60s. They were ahead of their time and still a good buy. For most of the range they are still the only game in town.

A great gift!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online macsporran

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 01:48:38 PM »
If I recall correctly, they were originally created by a company called Inpact as six kits of subjects supposedly from the film Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They also did four nice inter-war biplanes. For their time they were excellent kits.
Then Pyro bought the moulds, I believe.
S

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »
Quite true. The kits were originally Inpact brand before that company sold the moulds to Pyro. The kits went through various incarnations and today have the Lindberg badge, but at heart they are the Inpact models.I said Pyro because that's the brand many would remember them from.

The old Inpact boxings can still be had on Ebay and from pre-owned kit businesses. The inter war kits were very nice too. The Fairey Flycatcher and Hawker Fury were especially nice and can still be had for a fair price. I scored an Inpact Fury recently for $8 and a Bleriot monoplane for $10.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »
A great present of a great plane. Have fun with it!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 01:23:25 PM »
These are great kits, Dan.  I have the entire series in my stash, so I'm really looking forward to watching you work your magic on this one.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 03:28:40 PM »
Thanks, Guys  ;D

I started putting the basic fuselage together.  Went together with ease.  It's so open that I can add some interior things even at this point. 

I like the fabric they have on this guy and the lacing etc. so it seems a shame to get rid of it.  Hence...I'm building it as is and not making an open tail area.  If the internet is correct, there were examples of this beast covered so I think I'm ok.

Thanks for looking!  Painting this guy will be the most fun.

Dan

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 02:51:23 AM »
Thanks, Folks!  So far, this has been a trouble-free build.  Just tiny amounts of flash and good fitting.  I put the bottom wing together and added it to the fuselage in prep for painting.  I also will be putting in the pilot who is well-molded, but mezmerized by the propeller so I cut him up and re-animated him a bit.  He's just sitting in there to get a feeling for the final product.  Here it is so far...

Fun stuff!!!  More soon,

Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 07:39:27 AM »
Looking better each day Dan, the pilot figure really adds to the model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 08:21:50 AM »
 Dan,
Man it's great to see this old Classic being built. Outstanding progress my old friend.Keep up the excellence! Ditto Des the pilot does add to the kits appeal.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 08:26:39 AM »
Nice work on the pilot, Dan.  Good progress on the Avro, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 08:36:31 PM »
I remember building this kit way back in the Dark Ages. You are doing a great job on the aircraft and pilot!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 03:16:17 AM »
Looks good so far.I like these old pyro kits. I was looking at you repositioned pilot. He looks good .maybe one thing to add could be a scarf perhaps flowing in the airstream stiffened with a hidden piece of wire