Author Topic: Hansa-Brandenburg CC flying boat  (Read 10336 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Hansa-Brandenburg CC flying boat
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 06:37:38 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments.  Alan: I push moulded the fuselage/hull for the Phoenix as an experiment and I wanted to try a different method for this model. It happens that this hull is more amenable to the card construction method because the top does not have any double curves on it. Therefore it was straightforward to sand the nose section to shape rather than mould it. The underside of the hull is slightly curved upwards but that was achieved in the usual way by bending the card in hot water.

Just as I thought that I was getting somewhere quickly I had to go away again and I seem to be back at the snail's pace as usual! Well I have put the lower wings on to the fuselage - these are butt joints as the wings are so thin (30 thou card) that putting pins in was not really practical. The ribs were made from 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip sanded down to a smooth cross-profile.

Then I added the engine platform - made from 30 x 40 thou strip sanded to aerofoil section for the 4 main supports, and 20 x 30 thou strip for the remainder.

The small curved supports were shaped from 20 thou card.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:53:24 AM by lone modeller »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »
This is taking shape beautifully Stephen, the wings look excellent and the engine support frame really looks great.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 02:49:18 AM »
Sensational work, Stephen!  She's shaping up brilliantly.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 06:40:19 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Des and Bud for your kind comments.

I have completed most of the painting and markings: the national markings were home printed but the numeral on the hull was from Letraset dry rub down transfers. Before anyone comments I know that the numeral is too large but I did not have any alternatives and did not want to hand paint them as the hull is painted with oils and would be difficult to touch in. Apart form a few sharp-eyed and knowledgeable modellers I doubt whether anyone will notice.

The engine and radiator have also been made - the engine was a bit of a problem because there were so many small parts which I found very difficult to replicate so some were added as representative parts. I also carved the propellor from wood.

Now I have got to mount the engine and rig the frame before I attempt those star struts!

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:58:17 AM by lone modeller »

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 06:45:16 AM »
Moving along nicely !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 07:00:58 AM »
Really looking terrific! Lovely work all around!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 07:45:20 AM »
The painting looks great as do the decals and the numbers, nice work on the engine as well, this is shaping up to be a really nice looking model.

Des.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 05:49:22 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Ed, Rick and Des for the kind remarks, they are as always much appreciated.

I fixed the engine to the mounting and added the frame which will hold the radiator at the front of the engine support. I also fixed a small piece of wire to represent the fuel pipe from the top of the hull to the engine, and rigged the engine supports with copper wire.

Now the fun began: I had got to put on the struts. I started by making the centre pieces of the struts from 30 x 40 thou strip - the corners were cut off and the rest filed to shape.

8 of these were made. Struts were made from 20 x 30 thou strip which were filed to aerofoil section. The distance between the ends of the struts where they were to be attached to the wings had been measured using a pair of dividers and the distances marked on a piece of paper. Then one end of the struts could be placed on the points which I had marked on the paper and the other ends attached to the centre pieces. I started with the lower struts. I made a simple jig from card and glued one of the lower struts to the location holes on the lower wing and rested the top end against the card jig which had been placed at the half-way point. While the strut was still flexible I glued the other strut and allowed this to rest against the card jig.

Then I gently withdrew the jig and allowed the two struts to come together, adjusting them so that they were correctly placed. A drop of liquid glue fixed them in place and they were allowed to dry.

The other pair were glued and set into place in the same way.

To put on the upper struts the top wing had to be held in place, also with jigs. I have seen these made from pieces of card with a photocopy of the side elevation glued on to them and then slits cut so that the wings could be inserted and held. This seemed too complex for me - I am not very good at cutting thin slits and getting the two sides exactly aligned,  and I thought that there must be another way. I made two jigs from card: the height of the uprights were the exact distance between the top and bottom wings. Then I glued two pieces of card to extend above and below the wing leading and trailing edges - this would lock the wings in the correct position while I was placing the upper struts.

The pairs of tweezers (Bo please note: not the jewel encrusted ones), were used to hold the model steady while I inserted the upper struts. I made the two centre section struts from wire and glued these on to the front of the engine supports and the underside of the top wing. This helped to hold the top wing in place while I fixed the outer upper pairs of struts. One pair was fitted to the port wing first.

The starboard side was added.

These were allowed to dry completely and then the jigs could be carefully taken away.

Finally I now had the space to place the last pairs of upper struts and the top wing was complete (and I was able to breathe freely for the first time for two days).

The "n" struts between the engine mounting frame and the top wing finished the strut work.

Now I have to paint the struts and make and add the gravity tank on the top wing - that will be the topic of the next post.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:16:43 AM by lone modeller »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »
Stephen,
   That's absolutely brilliant use of jigs, I would be completely lost in attempting the star strut arrangement you have completed beautifully! This work of yours, particularly on this subject, is a fine example of true modelling, masterful to say the least. Just outstanding work all round!
    Congratulations on a very unique and successful Build!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 07:54:13 AM »
Amazing work on the struts Stephen, your brilliant design of the jigs made fitting the struts a lot easier for you even though the strut arrangement is quite intricate. This is a beautiful looking model and I look forward to seeing more soon.

Des.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 11:04:12 PM »
Excellent flying boat , Stephen
a little colorful jewel

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 11:14:30 PM »
Amazing work on the struts Stephen, your brilliant design of the jigs made fitting the struts a lot easier for you even though the strut arrangement is quite intricate. This is a beautiful looking model and I look forward to seeing more soon.

Des.

Stephen,
I can't say it any better than Des has! Brilliant work on the jigs and such a beauty!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 02:48:57 AM »

Des.

Stephen,
I can't say it any better than Des has! Brilliant work on the jigs and such a beauty!
RAGIII
I couldn't agree more, Stephen!  Brilliant!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 02:38:50 AM »
Evening All,
Thanks to Lance, Des, Ermio, Rick and Bud for your kind remarks which I always appreciate and find encouraging.

I have finished this one - painted the struts, (which incidentally were steel rod coved in a metal sheath but painted to look like wood), and added the mg (from Aeroclub), and windscreen, radiator, propellor and the header tank on the top wing. I also made a small trolley which was based on photos found on the net.

There are more pictures and information on the type in the completed models section.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:23:18 AM by lone modeller »

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2016, 03:13:06 AM »
AS usual brilliant
I like the innovative use of make shift jigs for the wing assembly.
A joy to follows
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!