Author Topic: Staaken R.VI (Aviatik) R52/17 night lozenge questions  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Starfire94C

Staaken R.VI (Aviatik) R52/17 night lozenge questions
« on: April 29, 2016, 06:41:40 PM »
I'm researching my next build, though it will be a while before I get to it, of Staaken R.VI Aviatik R52/17, as I have the Roden kit. I am confused as to the proper lozenge to use, as the only picture I can find in Windsock Data File 95 is from the front left and I can't determine what type of lozenge or polygon is used. So here goes my dilemma:

1. Roden's decals and profiles show a repeating, printed lozenge that matches their decals, which I prefer not to use.
2. An online profile of 52/17 shows a different type of repeating, printed lozenge. http://flyingmachines.ru/Images7/02-Bombers/18-Zeppelin-s-2.jpg
3. While most R.VIs were painted large, irregular polygons, some pictures show a much smaller, repeating lozenge pattern.
4. Aviatik-built R.VI R33/16 is finished in large, irregular polygons. Should I assume Aviatik finished the rest of their R.VIs as such?

I have access to the Orion Miniatures Staaken decals, but before I spend that much money I'd like to know if I'm going in the right direction. Their Staaken decals look good online, and are irregular polygons, but I can't tell how large they are.  http://www.hyperscale.com/images/orion72001reviewrb_1.jpg

My best guess with my limited knowledge would be, without a good picture of 52/17, to go with large irregular hand-painted polygons.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!
Don Hinton

Offline IanB

Re: Staaken R.VI (Aviatik) R52/17 night lozenge questions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:44:47 PM »
 I have the Orion decals, they are very nice indeed! Hopefully this will help you gauge the size.....

I will definitely be using them on my build!

Ian

Offline Starfire94C

Re: Staaken R.VI (Aviatik) R52/17 night lozenge questions
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 05:45:49 PM »
Thank you, Ian!  Your picture absolutely helps :)

Don