Author Topic: Brumowski Camo in 1/32?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline rhallinger

Brumowski Camo in 1/32?
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:11:26 AM »
Hi everyone! Now that CSM has released it's A-D engines in 1/32, I want to do an Alby D.III,OEFFAG in Brumowski's color scheme with the dark yellow curly-Qs over red, from a conversion of the 1/32 Roden kit, after I finish up some other matters.  Filip (Xmald) did this scheme here in 1/48:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3733.msg65360#msg65360

The problem is that decals for the "Brumowski Camoflage"seem to be available only in 1/48 and 1/72 from Printscale and Pheon, not in 1/32.  Does anyone have an idea where I might be able to get some custom sheets made for this camo?  Hand painting it would be quite taxing and difficult, IMHO.  Your thoughts or sourcing would be appreciated.  Bear in mind that this camo was also applied over green on the upper surfaces of many other A-H D.III OEFFAGs, so the sheets would have other uses as well. Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Bob

Offline rowan broadbent

Re: Brumowski Camo in 1/32?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 02:29:45 AM »
Bob,

Drop me an email at [email protected] (not a PM please), Let's see what I can do for you.

Rowan
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline ondra

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 03:02:10 AM »
Hi Bob,

a few years ago we had a long discussion with other WWI fans at our local forum and the camo on Brumowski's plane. The actual look is questionable, of course, but I am rather convinced that the interpretation of dark yellow curly Qs on red is wrong.

Looking at the attached photo it rather looks like red colour mottled on the fuselage with round brush, thus leaving the yelowish wood beneath showing through.

I agree that hand painting the curly Qs would be very difficult in any scale. But if you decide to go for the red mottled on wood, you could probaly use the same method as on the original aircraft - mottling red oil colour on wood surface with a round brush.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 04:40:24 AM »
Thanks Rowan and Ondra!  Points well taken.

I do realize that there is some real question about the squiggles over red on Brumowski's Alby, but I like the look so will go with it if I can get decals.  In any event, I believe that there were other A-H Albys that used the yellow squiggles, and I would like to eventually do a few of those as well (if I last that long!).  Thanks for your input! ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:36:15 AM »
Thanks Ondra.  When I get around to this one in a couple of years, I may have to experiment with the mottled oil method to see if I can achieve that look, particularly if decals do not work out.  Something to look forward to! ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 04:28:43 PM »
just a suggestion but perhaps you could find a fine tip mustardy yellow paint pen at a fine art supply store i have found many varieties of art level paint type marker pens locally .and have used them to great effect on a a-h berg d.1 scheme (284.13)

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 12:20:53 AM »
Thanks Alby!  The same thought had occurred to me.  I plan to do some experimenting first, and your suggestion will definitely be among the alternatives I try out. 

Regards,

Bob