Author Topic: 1/72 Phoenix Type A flying boat  (Read 7301 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 1/72 Phoenix Type A flying boat
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 07:01:23 AM »
You are doing excellent work with this build Stephen.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 07:35:32 AM »
More exceptional moulding! That is a very odd design, with a concave underside!

Ian

Offline radio

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 10:33:14 PM »
Outstanding work Stephen.
Cheers
Martin

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 05:13:42 AM »
Evening All,

Many thanks again to all of you who have dropped by and left such complimentary remarks - they really are appreciated. This is as far as I have managed to get in the past few days, but there may be a delay before the next one as once again life is taking over! The next stage also requires a lot of painting and photos of paint drying are not the most exciting.

First I attached the wings - one at a time using my (non-patented) jig: some pieces of plastic card and an old tin lid which I use to mix paints in.

You can also get an idea of how much filler I had to use on the top of the fuselage. After there wings were dry I primed all of the filled areas and fixed the tail unit. The struts were shaped from 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip. The engine mount was also made from Evergreen strip: the holes in the horizontal brackets were drilled out using different bits. Getting the 4 uprights the correct length and angles was easier than I thought it would be - just mark the angle from the drawing with a line on a piece of thin card and align each strut with the line on the card. It worked!

Incidentally the rest of the background in the first image is my modelling space - no special room or shed for me - just an old tray which my mother gave me when I started making kits about 5 1/2 decades ago. The paper is replaced at intervals when it gets torn or too dirty. It is just large enough to make a mess on and hold what I am doing, and is easy to put to one side on my desk when I am doing other things - like all aspects of my modelling, it is pretty minimal. Paints, glues, card, etc are stored in a drawer and kept out of the way.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:38:55 PM by lone modeller »

Offline IanB

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 05:28:43 AM »
Very nice, even more impressive now that I see the space you work in!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 06:13:39 AM »
Your flying boat is looking beautiful! I manage to fill up an entire room with junk and you do this gorgeous work in a tray  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 07:47:01 AM »
Really starting to look the part now Stephen, very nice work to date.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 01:38:21 PM »
It is really starting to come together; lovely work.

By the way... I like the modeling tray and the history you've shared with it.  A great reminder that it is the craftsman, not the tools that matter.

Chris

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2016, 11:05:39 PM »
It is really starting to come together; lovely work.

By the way... I like the modeling tray and the history you've shared with it.  A great reminder that it is the craftsman, not the tools that matter.

Chris

I couldn't agree more with Chris.  It is quite something to see such magical things
coming out of such a humble but priceless "work place".  Thanks for the great
update, Stephen!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2016, 11:28:46 PM »
Stephen,
    She's really coming together now with the wings and engine mount assembled, looking great! I am really impressed with your presentation of "Show Me Your Workspace" here; I have an old roll top desk and could easily fit six or more of your trays onto it's work surface, and I whine and complain constantly......... As Chris has said "It is the craftsman" that matters!
   Lovely work, and keep those updates coming.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 04:01:04 AM »
Truly remarkable work all 'round, Stephen!  She's bound to be a one of a kind show stopper.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 07:42:29 AM »
Truly remarkable work all 'round, Stephen!  She's bound to be a one of a kind show stopper.
Cheers,
Bud

So says Amigo #2.
Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline xmald

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 07:36:32 AM »
It`s starting to shape up very nicely! Keep up the good work!
Best regards
Filip

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 04:37:17 AM »
Evening All,

My sincere thanks for the complimentary remarks that many of you have left - they are greatly appreciated. I am pleased that you like my little tray - I have to admit that sometimes I am envious of those who have access to more sophisticated equipment and have skills in media other than plastic and wood that I lack, but I model for fun first and foremost, like all of us. I hope that my efforts will act as an encouragement to others like me who model on a limited budget and with limited space - it can be done!

Most of the recent progress has been painting and adding markings. The wing and fuselage crosses were printed on my home printer, the nose cross was hand painted as I could not find any suitable cross to copy because of its odd shape. The numerals were also printed using type faces on my computer which provided the closest match. The fuselage was painted with oils and varnished with Revell clear orange acrylic (hence the high gloss - I will add a dull varnish coat later), the remainder are enamels. I fitted the engine too so that now I am ready to start cutting the struts and making a jig to hold the top wing in place while I fit them.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:40:18 PM by lone modeller »

Offline radio

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 07:07:41 AM »
It comes out fantastic, Stephen.
Cheers
Martin