Author Topic: 1/72 Phoenix Type A flying boat  (Read 7258 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: 1/72 Phoenix Type A flying boat
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2016, 07:20:42 AM »
oooooh I like that!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2016, 08:40:31 PM »
Gorgeous work Stephen! Yppur wood fuselage and the markings are terrific. I am looking forward to seeing the upper wing mounted!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:11 PM »
Terrific progress, Stephen!  Well done with the markings.
Looking forward to the Phoenix becoming a biplane. ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline IanB

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2016, 11:45:41 PM »
Very nice, Stephen. That nose cross had to pretty tricky but it looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing it in biplane mode very soon.

Ian

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2016, 08:16:33 AM »
Very nicely done Stephen, the fuselage colour and the markings are excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline malaula

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 02:00:46 AM »
Simply gorgeous,Stephen!I can't believe you turn out those little masterpieces on such a small working place!
cheers
Matz

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 06:12:26 AM »
Stephen

Your progress to date on this project is outstanding.   You've really nailed that wood effect painting using artist oils resulting in a lovely wood tone.

Look forward to seeing this one in the flesh.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 02:48:28 AM »
I definitely love it Stephen!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2016, 06:38:41 AM »
Evening All

Once again I must thank all of you who have dropped by and left such positive remarks, I really do get a boost from such comments.

Well Ian you can now see that the spare wing is in place at last - once again I had to revert to a home made jig to get it on but it worked in the end. The problem with fitting the top wing to this aircraft is that the main struts are angled outwards. The cabane struts are also angled outwards and form an N so they cannot be fitted without some form of support. I know that some modellers cut out slots in card and slide the wings into them so that they are supported while the struts are put into place, but I would find the cutting difficult and I am not sure that I would get it right, so I reverted to a method I once used when building the Vimy. I cut two small jigs from card and placed them on the lower wings, one each side, and then placed the top wing on to these. The top wing is able to move about but it enabled me to measure each strut accurately and cut it to size. Then I gently lifted the top wing on one side and slipped the two struts into place and allowed them to dry for about 10 minutes, i.e. long enough to hold fast but weak enough to be flexible while I repeated the operation on the other side.

When the two pairs of struts were in place I held the wing alignment with the usual jigs - i.e. paint pots!

After this had dried out overnight I was able to add the cabanes to the engine supports and wing and the model is now almost complete except for final details and rigging which will follow shortly.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:45:32 PM by lone modeller »

Offline IanB

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2016, 07:51:09 AM »
Great update Stephen, she's looking gorgeous! One of these just came up on evilbay at a ridiculous price!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2016, 05:48:00 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks for the kind remarks Ian - I know what you mean about evil bay and the price of kits. They always seem to be low when it is me who is selling, and high when it is me who is the buyer! For that and other reasons I have decided to sell all of my kits and simply scratch build instead: that only leaves the markings and even then most can now be printed at home if necessary.

Well what I though was going to be a quick dash to the finish line with this one turned out to be a slow crawl, but it is now finished. It is rigged with 40SWG copper wire and the prop was carved from laminated wood veneer, suitably varnished. The windscreen was cut from a piece of bubble pack from an old Airfix kit and the trolley and trestle were scratch built from Evergreen strip and card. The one thing missing is the badge on the tail - I have not been able to find one and copying it to print on my own computer has proved to be beyond my very limited IT skills. Extra photos are in the completed models section, together with some history of the type.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:46:25 PM by lone modeller »

Offline IanB

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 06:45:30 AM »
Beautifully done Stephen,
 The e-bay kit did surprise me as it was posted with a starting price of  $50, yet it's still available brand-new from Hannants for $13 and change!

PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of tail badges, I have the Pegasus decal sheet. Sizes (base of the shield to the top of the crown, and shield width) are (in mm): 8x4, 9x3, 9.5x4, 10x3.5, 11x5, 13x4.5, 14x6, 16x5.5, 17x8

Ian

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 10:11:27 PM »
Brilliant job, Stephen! A very interesting model and up to your exacting
standards.  Your wood colours and the rigging are particularly good!  Do
you have any trouble keeping the rigging wire taunt?  This has been a
real treat and I look forward to the completed pictures, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2016, 02:57:53 AM »
Thanks Ian and Ernie for your kind remarks.

Stephen.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »
Wow, Stephen!  This looks just awesome.  No wonder you need some rudder decals.  I'll keep rumaging around and contact the fellow I got decals from again.  Perhaps my email got lost in the ether....

This look just great.  Sorry I haven't seen it sooner.

Dan