Author Topic: Sopwith 1A2 No 6 of Sgt Gabriel Herbert and Adj Charles Borzecki, N62, 1916  (Read 14324 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
She's coming together really well Bud, your interior colours are excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
  As Des has remarked she's really coming together nicely, Bud. I had this Kit in my stash some time ago when still modelling in 1:48 Scale, I think this is the first build I've seen and it's a great one! Keep at it, very nice work to this point.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline davecww1

Interesting scheme, Bud.  I think when I get around to doing Strutters I will be doing this version in Collishaw's markings, and a French bomber in aluminum dope.  but yours will look nice in the French camouflage scheme.  Looking at the photo I would recommend you get one of the Gaspatch RNAS type Lewis guns as it looks like the gun in the photo, completely stripped with no cooling fins or jacket.
Dave

Offline dr 1 ace

Well you are at it again, looking good Amigo !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Online RAGIII

I seemed to have missed your latest update until now Amigo. You are doing your usual outstanding work! Lovely panel and interior! Your spacer to spread out the fuselage halves is a simple but effective fix. Looking forward to the next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline radio

Great interior and update Bud.
Cheers
Martin

Offline Monty

A very nice build, Bud, with some great added detail. I think you are very brave to use so much photo-etch! Your modelling is very neat with lovely paintwork on the internals,

Regards,

Marc

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Thanks, guys!  Progress has been slow, but progress nevertheless.
I need a little help here, my friends.  For those of you who have Osprey's Reconnaissance and Bomber Aces of World War 1, if you turn to page 13 at the top of the page you will see the aircraft I'm building.  The blue on the rudder appears to be a bit darker than the blue of the fuselage roundel or maybe it's the lighting or just my imagination.  At any rate, I'd like a consensus on what shade of blue I should use.  This is not an Hanriot built aircraft, but Sopwith built.  The caption states that the British roundels were over-painted in French colors prior to delivery to the French.  My thinking is that the rudder might still be in British colors since the blue-white-red order of colors was the same for both services, while the blue of the roundels would be the lighter French horizon blue.  What do you think?

Meanwhile, I've almost completed the engine and cowling.  I went with the Vector Clerget knowing full well that I would have to thin the inside of the kit cowling significantly.  I didn't realize how much or how scary it would be.  It is literally eggshell thin, making handling for painting a very tricky proposition.  I'm glad to say that it is finished and the engine fits nicely without modification.  Still need to add the remaining push rods and ignition wiring.

Uschi decals on the decking,

with an oil paint filter.

There's more, but Photoshitbucket is giving me grief at the moment.  Later.
Thank you for looking in.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Borsos

What a great finish! It's going to be another masterpiece, Bud!
A joy to follow your postings!
best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
 Bud,
Now that's one awesome update my old friend. Outstanding work on her cowl finishing.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline davecww1

Hi Bud,
Here's my take on the rudder and cockades.  The aircraft was built by Sopwith so would normally be painted in British colors.  So the rudder is definitely darker.  The question being is whether the cockades were painted French by sopwith or once it arrived in France.  From the profile I would say the cockades would have the British blue centers, even in the photo on page 13 the cockade center seems fairly darker than the French Horizon blue photographs, check the Breguet rudders on Page 18 + 19, they are almost white.  I would go with the darker British blue, and as we have discovered French factories used many different shades of blue, with the 1916 Nieuport colors being a darker blue than the Horizon blue seen on most other French aircraft of this period.
Dave

Online RAGIII

Hi Bud,
Here's my take on the rudder and cockades.  The aircraft was built by Sopwith so would normally be painted in British colors.  So the rudder is definitely darker.  The question being is whether the cockades were painted French by sopwith or once it arrived in France.  From the profile I would say the cockades would have the British blue centers, even in the photo on page 13 the cockade center seems fairly darker than the French Horizon blue photographs, check the Breguet rudders on Page 18 + 19, they are almost white.  I would go with the darker British blue, and as we have discovered French factories used many different shades of blue, with the 1916 Nieuport colors being a darker blue than the Horizon blue seen on most other French aircraft of this period.
Dave
Bud,
We know how knowledgeable  Dave is on French subjects so hard to dispute his opinion. Of course I am going to say that being said  8) , If You are seeing variations in blue shades that can not be related to lighting/sun glare etc. then I would go with your gut feeling!  ;D
RAGIII

PS: Outstanding finish on the cowling Amigo!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:07:12 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

Looking really good budrow.will be an excellent strutter

Offline radio

Great work until now, Bud.
Cheers
Martin

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
wow Bud, what an impressing work so far!
How did you achieve such a realistic effect on the cowling?
:-O