Author Topic: Albatros D-III Oeffag early series 153 / Roden 1/72  (Read 8947 times)

Offline vincentm

Albatros D-III Oeffag early series 153 / Roden 1/72
« on: February 18, 2016, 12:02:43 PM »
I've been "away" building WW2 birds for a while, but I was eager to taste wood and wire again.

I love the streamlined engine fairings of the austro-hungarian Albatroses, which give them a kind of "Steampunk" look. Those machines could well have been foreseen by Jules Verne.

In Austria, rather than shifting licence-production of Albatroses from D-III to D-V, Oeffag made the choice to strengthen the D-III airframe and upgrade engine-power. It resulted in three production batches named 53,153 and 253, featuring various changes from the original design, including buried Schwarloze guns, fully enclosed Austro-Daimler engine, and strengthened wing structures to prevent the failures occuring on german-built D-III's and D-V's.

This very bird is an early-built 153, which still had a prop spinner that was deleted on later aircraft. It was austrian ace Georg von Kenzian's mount, on the southern front (Südtyrol) in late 1917. A document of the time, from squadron leader Jozsef von Maier, states that these machines were painted dark blue-green upper and light blue on the underside, and that Kenzian's pennant (which I guess was his family's coat of arms) was light blue and white. The s/n 153-27 confirms an early-built 153.

Once again I will start from a Roden kit, their range of Albatroses at 1/72 featuring accurate and crisp molding. Several sprues are common to all Roden Albies, but the Mercedes engine is replaced with a detailed Austro-Daimler.

First thing to do: scribe the fuselage panel lines. The available plans do not seem to agree on their location, so I had to look for close-ups of real machines and found out that rivet lines and panel lines are apparently often mistaken. 
This drawing shows the actual revetment panel lines:

Lines are scribed after being drawn with a pen:

Next step: wood effect inside. A Tamiya XF59 undercoat is covered with slightly brushed "Sienna earth" oil to create veins. Same thing on the prop:

While this was drying up, I printed a small decal sheet, because Kenzian's insignia was printed in red and white by Roden, the digits were not correctly shaped, and I needed a few Oeffag and prop logos, and dashboard gauges:

Painting details: burnt metal and a wash of Humbrol 70 for the exhaust pipes, Humbrol 98 on the seat which has received Eduard belts and a cushion made from Milliput. The stick and rudder pedals still had to be painted:

Walls are added in front and behind the cockpit, the front one with the ammo boxes. A few details are scratchbuilt on the cockpit sidewalls, and the typical Oeffag dashboard is attached to the upper cowling.

Although it won't be visible, you need to build the engine as it will be required for fitting the prop and exhaust pipes. I just built it from the box and painted the top details which might be seen through the exhaust troughs.

Once the fuselage is assembled, the engine and front ring are added, then metal rods for the seat are glued:

to be continued...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Albatros D-III Oeffag early series 153 / Roden 1/72
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 02:04:56 PM »
You have made a great start with this kit, the interior painting and detailing is very well done as is the engine.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline vincentm

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 09:13:05 PM »
Thanks Des.
I was fearing that the separate fuselage top part would require adjustments, but in fact it makes cockpit building easier as you can do that after the fuselage is closed.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 12:29:52 AM »
Looks like a fine build Vincent!  Great subject. :D 

You mentioned printing some new decals.  Can you please explain how you do that?  Thanks.

Regards,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 12:37:34 AM »
Outstanding work! Lovely wood tones and the extra details are very well done! Terrific work on your decals and I would also like an explanation of the process?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline radio

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 02:32:35 AM »
Great beginning Vincent.
Cheers
Martin

Offline vincentm

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:16:54 AM »
Thanks all.
To make it simple with the decals, the best way to get them printed at the required scale, is scanning the original sheet. Then you can re-work it in a paint program, and print them on raw decal.
As an alternative, you may also scan a scale plan, pick up the markings you need from color profiles, flightsim model "skins" or online marking databases, and resize them above the plan until they fit. Then delete the plan and print the decals.
One thing you need to keep in mind is that the image you print must have the same resolution in dpi (dots per inch) than the one you used as a scale template. Hope this helps. 

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 02:31:33 AM »
Brilliant start, Vincent!  I look forward to following this one.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 02:25:04 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one Vincent.

Warren

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 03:32:02 AM »
Very good start, Vincent.  With your talents, we are in for a
treat.  Onward and upward, my friend. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline IanB

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 08:02:58 AM »
Coming along nicely, and a useful bit of background info too!

Ian

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 09:31:34 AM »
Very nice work and hard to believe it's in that scale.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline vincentm

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 09:48:18 AM »
Thank you all. I'm in fact building two at the same time, the second one being for an article for a french modelling magazine. Which means I'm not allowed to post pics of the latter. I can just tell you it will be Jozsef Kiss's mount, that's the reason why I've also printed the "K" on a red disc. These are my fourth and fifth Roden Albatroses, so I'm now aware of the traps to avoid...

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 09:30:39 PM »
Great looking work! My last one was the Series 253, also with winter cowl. I used the Encore boxing with PE bulkheads, which, combined with the engine made fitting the upper deck quite easy. The nose needed some help and like you posted missed the small grilles and also the vertical dividing line.
I found the winter cowl the poorest fit, but managed to get it on anyway. Looking at your build I'm sure it won't be much of a problem for you :)

I really like those little Roden kits (well most them -the Fokker DVII isn't really my favourite!)

Offline vincentm

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 10:13:46 AM »
I too love those Roden kits, I've already built 3 Albatroses, and still have one left, a D-II. IMO they're the best WWI models at 1:72 scale.

The fuselage top was glued in place, then the fin and rudder. The rounded seam at its base was made from Milliput putty.

The engine winter fairing was added. The part was incorrect and required the addition of plasticard, and a bit of sanding to fit:

The lower wing attachment was also strengthened by addition of metal pins. Holes were drilled for the wire hooks: