Author Topic: "Fee" Colour Question  (Read 1531 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
"Fee" Colour Question
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:53:44 AM »
   I'm presently building the Wingnut Wings FE2b in their Colour Scheme "E", A5650 "Jess" of 100 Sqn. The profile in the Plans Booklet matches all the colour notes in the Albatros Pubs references I have, black overall including the lattice tail booms normally applied to Night Bomber Fee's. I just noted the TVAL repro of the aircraft in KiwiZac's photos from the TVAL Flying weekend and it has natural wood booms.........  Does anyone know if that's more correct then the WNW recommendations or why the discrepancy? The colour notes in the Data File state the booms were normally clear varnished except for the night bombers where they were "frequently" painted lamp black to match the rest of the airframe. Matter of interpretation or is there some definitive reference I've missed??
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: "Fee" Colour Question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:59:17 AM »
You have probably already seen this but just in case here is the link to photos Jamo took of the "Night Fee" over at TVAL.

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2602.0

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:01:48 AM »
Lance I can't answer definitively but I was looking for the same answer.

I don't have any published material but an after quite some internet searching I came to the conclusion that the booms were probably usually painted - I didn't find any pictorial evidence that some remained varnished though that does not mean of course that they weren't.

Must admit it would give a nice contrast but then if it's not faithful no matter how good it looks it's not faithful  ::)

Regards - Tug

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:41:40 AM »
Tug,
   I agree with your conclusion, but wanted to seek a bit of outside expertise since TVAL and Wingnuts seem rarely, if at all, to differ in their representations. Included in the Datafile "RAF FE2b at War" is reference to RAF Secret Operations Order #34 which apparently doesn't include information on the booms. It does refer to a mostly black over paint however it also says the nacelle is to be painted dark grey which Wingnuts and TVAL have not done on "Jess". Wingnuts scheme "D" and the profile of B1877 in the Datafile show the metal portion of the aft nacelle in dark grey however.
   I'm guessing it's like the "real" colour of PC10, the only thing we can be sure of..................is were not sure! I appreciate your info, I'll probably go with the painted booms unless someone comes up with more information.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:23:24 PM »
I was wondering about all this when I built my 72nd scale night bomber. In the end I went with the unpainted booms, as on the Fee in the RAF museum at Hendon. I know it's a reproduction using orginal parts but I guess the chaps at the RAF museum know a thing or two and would have access to far more research material than most people...

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 12:23:24 AM »
Squiffy,
    Thanks for this. I was thinking that the TVAL team had the same approach as those at Hendon but the WNW crowd are pretty reliable as well. I think I'll send a quick EMail to Wingnut Wings and ask the question, will let you Guys know the results.
Cheers,
Lance

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:28:31 AM »
You have probably already seen this but just in case here is the link to photos Jamo took of the "Night Fee" over at TVAL.

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2602.0

Des.

Des,
   Sorry I didn't reply, thanks for this. Jamo's photo spreads are generally my favourite references, invaluable for the very fine details hard to pull out of the period photos available.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline tcraftpilot

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 01:15:51 AM »
If I recall the datafile Fe2B at war makes note that the booms/struts were almost always black but the team at Hendon left them natural wood for asthetic looks and to emphasize to visitors that they were constructed of wood.  Most photos look black to my eye.
Ryan Newell

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 03:31:48 AM »
If I recall the datafile Fe2B at war makes note that the booms/struts were almost always black but the team at Hendon left them natural wood for asthetic looks and to emphasize to visitors that they were constructed of wood.  Most photos look black to my eye.

Eureka!! Thank you kind Sir, just what I was looking for! I have the book in my hands and had previously missed the very clear statement you refer to. The source, being the RAFM, is more then good enough for me. Thanks for taking the time to find the answer and for passing it on. :) :) :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline tcraftpilot

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 04:53:34 AM »
 ;D
Ryan Newell