Author Topic: Why I get No Models Done  (Read 4007 times)

Offline RAGIII

Why I get No Models Done
« on: December 12, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »
Just looked at my stats. No wonder I haven't finished anything this year  ;D To be honest though I wouldn't have it any other way. I really enjoy all of the interaction with my fellow members. I live in a rural area and there really is no one here to talk and share models with. The Forum fills a void that replaces my former club membership and Managing a Hobby Shop way back when. I will however finish more next year!

RAGIII

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=12
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Why I get No Models Done
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »
I am very much like you Rick, I also live in a rural area, a very small coastal town where I think I am the only one who builds models. Like you, my interaction with the forum members is a great release, I have formed so many friendships some of whom I phone on a regular basis. I owned and ran a hobby way back and had a great relationship with a lot of my customers, but those days are long gone.

Your stats speak volumes as to your participation with the forum and its members, we would all be far worse off if your were not here.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »
Even though I'm in The Los Angeles area which is far from being a rural, I only know one other modeler personally who has built a WnW kit. He's who infected... err, introduced me to them a few years ago.

@Rick, your story is the same as mine. This forum is the "model club" in virtual form that connects us hardcore fans of a very specific subculture who would probably never meet otherwise.

And I know my stats. I haven't finished anything either, although I'm less than a week away on my latest build! Finally!! Before the end of 2015. That counts, right! ;D

@Red Baron, I've noticed that stigma too. What's the problem people have with this hobby? Is drinking a bunch of beer while watching sweaty guys run after a ball on a field a more noble pursuit? :o

George

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 12:32:15 PM »
OK, I'll chime in too.

<raises hand> I too live in a rural area (in the county seat which has a population of maybe 2,000), so yeah, no one here builds models. I only got started back up in the hobby when my work started to take more and more of a bite out of my time to the point that I haven't completed anything in a long time. Family health issues, work issues, etc. has meant no time at the bench. I promised myself this year I'd make some time for "me", but it just didn't float. (Just learned at work this week that our workload will increase as well. Oh joy.)  Due to more "real life" I requested Des remove me from the French Group Build. It's my sincere hope that circumstances will permit me to rejoin.

In any event, this forum and one other are the only modeling forums I frequent. I greatly value being able to see what others are doing, how they're doing it, and just get some positive mojo from the populace here.

I guess more time spent at the workbench and less time here might let me get something done.  ??? ::)

Warren

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »
Cape Cod in winter is pretty damn rural too...but since my job just went west - my company just closed its doors, without even telling us - I should have time enough to get the Short, MoS and Muromets finished....sigh...

Ian

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »
So sorry to hear that Ian. Been there fairly recently. No fun.

Warren

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »
I find I have X hours of psychic energy per week to put into model building. Like maybe 10 at most. Usually more like 2- 5. The rest is consumed by the two (real) jobs I have, side jobs, vagaries of life, parenting, etc. OTOH, checking in in here keeps me connected, something I can do @ work or when I am chilling...

WarrenD

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »
We need a "like" button for this thread.  8)

Warren

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 02:54:15 PM »
My stats are much like yours, Rick, and my reasons for spending so much time here are similar.  However, I'm semi-retired, working only 16 hrs/wk and my lap-top sits right on my work bench, so I can check in here while I wait for glue to set, decals and paint to dry (like now), etc.
I've considered posting less and building more, but I just can't stay away.  Y'all are just so damned entertaining.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
Reading your post Rick made me realise I'm not alone with my abbysmal lack of finished kits any year.  I'm glad to see so many of us owning up to being much the same.
I live rurally too and don't know of anyone in my immediate area that builds. I'm sure there must be and a couple of forum members are reasonably local.

For a number of reasons my mojo comes and goes and I build a lot of varied subjects though WWI aviation remains my favourite.

My posts on the forum echo my ups and downs like my modelling but every day I check in and read and keep an eye on whats happening in the forum even if I don't post so much. Saying that I found my memory card for my camera so might get the Junkers Blog started this week.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »
So much of this rings true for me too. I live deep in the heart of rural France, have yet to meet a local modeller, let alone one who is into the Great War ans this forum is very important to me. Thanks for starting a great thread Rick.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 12:46:23 AM »
   I don't get as much done as I'd like being a very slow builder and spending more time then I realised here on the Forum. Being retired and now slowed down a bit by some health issues the hobby and this Forum are often the bulk of my daily activity. I hadn't realised that the "stats" existed until I saw Rick's here and checked out my own,  :o :o :o!! Despite the shock of just how much time I spend here It's all good, like you say Rick I thoroughly enjoy the interaction with my fellow members. There is so much knowledge and experience within our membership and I learn something new here every time I log in. As for the "stigma" associated with Model Building we've all dealt with it over our experiences but it's a special interest type of activity; means a great deal to us but matters not a bit to the outsider! Thanks to Des we have a place where we can associate with people of like interests and values, and be better people for the experience!
   This past summer I had the experience of travelling to meet with four other of our members and spend several days in their company at a major show and several excellent venues of the museum variety. No surprises there, within minutes of meeting we were all completely comfortable with one another and an observer would regard the group as lifelong buddies. Friendships are often based on common interests and our Hobby is no exception. For that reason this Forum has fast become my favourite "happy place"! That all being said, it's time to get going on the latest bench project before I start to think I never really finish anything!

Cheers All!
Lance

Offline James

Why I get No Models Done
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 01:44:59 AM »
I only recently, maybe six years or so ago, got into World War I aviation, big time. I havent built a model in about 20 years. I need to, but it seems that I spend the majority of my time, when not at work, reading, buying books, researching, or picking up a Wingnut kit and spending most of my time here on this forum. I live in a big city, San Antonio, but I do not know anyone here who builds models. Never had the "stigma" so to speak, about building models. The "stigma" I always get,  being a metal head in that I must worship satan and do drugs and anything else  associated with listening to heavy metal.

I too feel like we are all one big family here and like Lance said, thst if we all were to meet, after about a minute we'd be really comfortable with each other and then have a beer or two, and people would think we were lifetime friends. I bet if our wives were to go and they hung out together, it would be the same for them. Only difference, we would be talking about models and wishing that someone would make such and such, while our wives would be talking about why we buy so many and wishing we would quit buying so many. 

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 02:08:07 AM »

while our wives would be talking about why we buy so many and wishing we would quit buying so many. 

James

So true, James! I've actually had this happen at model shows. The wives can't meet! They'll plot against us. We can't win that battle!! ;) ;D ;D

George

Offline James

Why I get No Models Done
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 02:49:44 AM »

while our wives would be talking about why we buy so many and wishing we would quit buying so many. 

James

So true, James! I've actually had this happen at model shows. The wives can't meet! They'll plot against us. We can't win that battle!! ;) ;D ;D

George

Very true George, very true.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash