Author Topic: Why I get No Models Done  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Rob

Re: Why I get No Models Done
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 07:29:18 AM »
I live in the Seattle area. There are quite a few modelers here, several clubs and a great hobby shop (Skyway). With that said, I don't have the time to devote to a club and only chat with other "live"modelers when I'm in the hobby shop. Very few are interested in WW1 aviation. Both my adult sons enjoy coming out to "Dad's workshop" and appreciate and admire what I've done. My wife has no interest whatsoever in seeing what I'm doing but having said that she has no problem with the fact that I build and encourages me to get the kits I want. I guess that makes me a pretty lucky guy. This forum fills that void for me of like-minded individuals. I learn something new every time I come here. I recently began my first online build and I'm still working out how much to post, getting good photos, etc. It's a lot different than just building the darn thing, setting it on a shelf and moving on tho the next one! My boys always ask why I have so many unbuilt models sitting around. I tell them that the fun (for me) is in the building not necessarily the finishing.
v/r,
Rob
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:59:50 AM by Rob »

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 08:18:19 AM »
Hi folks,

I really am well off the bench just now - I have probably had literally one 3 hour modelling evening in precisely 6 months.  I miss it, but life gets in the way and getting started again is proving difficult.  Haven't been on here either - but I like being able to dip in and out and still find friendly folks around.

I even missed the latest round of WNW releases!

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 06:32:55 AM »
Well as Rick has stated, I'm in the same boat of nothing WW I completed this year (but at least 1 OOB and a trip to the IPMS NATS) , life just got in the way this year. But likewise, the time spent here keeps the juices flowing. And 2016 can be back to normal.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 08:55:35 AM »
Thanks for all of the responses guys! It is interesting how many of us are in the same situation  8) Ian, sorry to hear about your job! I am sure you will bounce back with something better!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ollie

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 01:46:48 PM »
I don't visit here as much as I use to but am now coming back with some vigor. Like 99% of you I haven't built squat, made several attempts, many shelfs of doom. I could say life got in the way but it was all me. When I started modeling back in the 70's (the decade not my age) I started in WW II aircraft and thought that was the bees knees. But after several decades I think I finally have come to grips that I've lost interest in the WW II era and now have a big interest in WW I and am truly thankful for Des and all of you to thanks for that. Additionally like most of you I'm in a small city in the Pacific Northwest (less than 15,000) and thought no one here would be interested in what I modeled. Only lately to find out that at least two of you live near by, so I now can say that I have some lads near by with the same interests as myself. That's my two cents worth. Now it's time to getting back to building something.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 12:07:16 AM »
Just thought I would pop in and say hello.

I have barely touched a model in the last 12 months.  About 6 months ago I almost completed the pre-war German tram I was building, but wasn't happy with the quality of the assembly.  I have disassembled it (carefully) but am yet to fix the build..

No WWI stuff for ages.  I have had a really busy time with work this year and loads of stuff going on at home.  There has been occasional time for modelling but I can't get started..

Will try soon!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 02:03:32 AM »
These days just two things seem to count: Speed (everything has to happen faster and faster and faster....) and making money out of everything (I mean the usability of everything and everyone). In my opinion modelling is a kind of philosophical countermovement against these so-called "values". I love modelling because I can spend as much time as I want for building something and no time pressure exists. no one tells me "you have to finish that until XXX!" And I create something that has no obvious worth - economocally speaking (actually a well built model has its worth, of course, no doubt, but just for the Connaisseur!)
So what do I want to say with that: If you need two weeks or two decades to finish a model, what does it matter, if you have pure modelling fun with it?  :)

BTW: Rick, I think you would finish a model faster, if you would start just one project and no double or triple builds any more  ;)
Best wishes to you all
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 11:11:04 AM »
I see a lot of my current situation reflected in many of these comments. I live outside of a big city, San Diego, and have been active in two clubs, putting on two shows a year, and at the end of this year, I'll stop all of that. I've been running around too much. I want to do some building, and just enjoy that. Coming to this forum actually helps keep me grounded(no pun intended!) as to what the better qualities in a modeling community are.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 12:29:41 AM »

BTW: Rick, I think you would finish a model faster, if you would start just one project and no double or triple builds any more  ;)
Best wishes to you all
Borsos

No dual builds? Where would the fun be in that  ::) Seriously When I finally finish a dual build it is usually about twice as long as one would have taken. My current tri build may be better because the two Tri planes  were easy to do because of the similar assemblies. I also have spent more time at the bench in spite of my completely enjoyable time here!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 09:01:29 AM »
I can't seem to finish a model because I'm usually spending what little hobby time I have working on another model. The cycle is vicious. Work requires me to be out of town 3 or 4 days a week and that puts serious limits on long modeling sessions. A cantankerous computer makes posting a real time suck, but I do manage to check out this forum and I thoroughly enjoy seeing all the great craftsmanship and good fellowship here.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline fruibal

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
I live in Vancouver, BC and from time to time usually go to the IPMS Vancouver club, however this site has always kept my interest alive  in WWI  aircraft modeling. Fulltime job and family prevents me to post any finished models. I will discipline myself next time to finish and post my final reveal of a 1/48 Breguet XIV diorama, which I currently working on .  Hope to do it for 2017, its a promise . I don't discredit the  wonderful job  and time from Des in setting up this website for WWI modeling lovers, but it would be interesting to see those magnificent  WWI build logs posted in Youtube. There's a guy with a channel called "Scale a Ton", which has some superb WNW building logs. Love seeing someday some  of these WWI builds in Youtube. My gratitude goes to all you guys for showing the building progress. Thanks to this  I have improved my WWI building techniques, from the dreaded rigging to the wood propeller painting technique. Gracias amigos!!

Offline timpivonka

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »
I have made one of my 2017 New Years resolutions to finish the models I have started.  I got a little bit of an early start and finished an Eduard Albatros D-III and Siemens Schuckert.  I also completed a Peanut Scale Nieuport-11, rubber powered.  The biggest reason I don't finish is I learn something, or see a new technique or product to try on my next project, and move on to it before I finish my current projects.  Right now I have two 1/48th Camels, A Fokker D-7 and an Oeffag Albatros D-3.  In 1/32nd I have a WNW Se5a, HB W-29 and a Sopwith Tripe.  All except the Tripe are very nearly finished.   Hope to have them done soon after the new year.

Tim Pivonka

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 04:44:44 PM »
...while our wives would be talking about why we buy so many and wishing we would quit buying so many. 

James
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D that's true!
I'm as well far from finish any model from months, but luckily I know some fellow modellers between schoolmates and collegues even if none of them shows interest in WWI subjects, but we can talk about historic planes and modelling. Lack of time,mainly because of work being the main issue in unfinishing or not starting projects, but it's not the only one. What I can see with few known exceptions is that boxes exceed built models by many times, but still I feel a builder rather then a boxed kit collector and I believe it is the same for all of us. It is part of the hobby, after all.
Cheers, Giuseppe