Author Topic: A Takom 1/35 Mörser  (Read 5934 times)

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
A Takom 1/35 Mörser
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:30:27 AM »

A bit of a diversion from constructing WW1 "bird-cages".

This is the recently released Takom 21cm Mörser in 1/35 scale.

The paints were from the Mig Ammo set recommended in the paint chart and light weathering was applied with Mig pigments and washes.

There is some discussion over the accuracy of the dimensions particularly with regards to the tail of the gun on the "landships" forum. Note that they are now saying that the dimensions are accurate afterall, so top marks to Takom again.

At the end of the day, this was built mostly out of the box and just something a bit different.

Really would like to build another, the next one in the autumn colours of a surviving example in the Army Museum, Brussels.

Toodle-pip!

Dave :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:15:45 AM by Dave in Dubai »

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: A Takom 1/35 Morser
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 02:42:27 AM »
Very nice! I can't wait to build mine, but I have to have some discipline and finish my current builds. :)

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 06:26:44 AM »
Beautiful Dave, this is a very impressive model and one that I hope to build soon.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
She's beautiful Dave, great kit and stunning camo.  I also love the Takom artillery kits, seeing yours finished like this is great inspiration.

Cheers
Otto
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

WarrenD

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 08:38:39 AM »
Love it Dave, thanks for posting.

Warren

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 02:47:39 PM »

Thanks for the comments chaps.

I didn't take too many construction photos, but here are a few to show the various stages.

Hope they are of some interest? :)

The only thing I wish Takom had done was if they could have made the wheel pads moveable....ie click on to the wheel rims.
Unfortunately they must be glued onto the wheels, but I suppose they could be drilled and pinned with thin brass wire if one really wanted to acheive this. When placed on display or in a diorama, it won't matter much in any case.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 03:37:54 PM »
Thanks for posting the in progress pics, Dave. They are very helpful. :)

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 05:27:46 PM »
Thanks for the additional photos Dave.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 07:11:08 PM »
Nice one, Dave  ;)
I like the look of that.

Cheers,
B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Edo

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 09:30:37 PM »
Hey Dave!
Great build!
I have that too in my stash and I plan to start building early next year.
One question: how did you paint the thin black lines?
thank you for the info

ciao
Edo

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 12:59:27 AM »
 Dave,
Outstanding my old friend.Very impressive camouflage too. How did you do it?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 01:16:23 AM »
Hi Edo, and Gregory,

The Paintwork:

I deliberated over this paint scheme for a while purely because I wondered if I could paint the black lines!

In the end , I used a thin 000 brush, some matt black paint, thinned to the consistency of ink, and handpainted around the colour shapes. The colour shapes were painted freehand :, the green base airbrushed first, then the yellow and clay brown patches by brush.

It was slow work, and I could only do twenty minutes at a time. Don't try to do too much too quickly.

I tried to copy the paint chart supplied with the kit - the artwork has been done by Mig Jiminez of Mig Ammo.
His artwork looks great but the side elevations and top do not match up the colour shapes so you pretty much have to use a bit of artistic license to get everything to join up.

There are quite a few surviving Morsers around the world, if you take a look on google, it will show up a lot of images with different paint finishes.

The gun in Brussels is in it's original paint, although somewhat blackened. There are also images of this morser on the net if you do a search.

Lastly, the small support brackets , parts c21, and c22 are really fragile. Despite my best efforts, I still managed to break one.
I decided to use the lower mounting brackets of these parts, glue them onto the gun carriage, and then replaced the thin struts with short lengths of brass 0.5 mm wire,,superglued into small holes drilled into the mounting brackets moulded onto D7 and D8.

One last tip: I would recommend glueing the inside support struts parts C28, C29, onto the inside of the gunshield first.
You can then paint the whole caboodle off the gun, and then glue it on last, rather than risk misaligning the struts or accidentally breaking them, if you glue them onto the sides of the gun as the instructions suggest.

Anyway good luck with your builds everyone, it will be good to see some other interpretations of the morser on the site soon.

Steven- these Morser spoked wheels are somewhat more agricultural than the magical model micro-engineering you were producing!😉

Dave :)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:24:18 AM by Dave in Dubai »

Offline Edo

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 01:59:14 AM »
knowing that you did it all by hand painting makes the final result even more amazing!
I was thinking of a series of masks as I don't think I'll acheive such a smooth and continous line as yours...

As a side note I also jave the 305 mm Skoda gun in my stash, but I am not quite sure if it could be related to WWI.
I mean, the gun was produced between 1911-1916 but was modified and used also in WWII.
All the pictures I saw of a 305 during WWI show a very different gun from Takom's offer, but I also saw a nice build of that gun in a WWI setting in a site dedicated to Austo-Hungary army during WWI (unfortunately the site was in german and they did not reply to my mail...).
Sure if one has to modify the gut to bring it back to 1916 one has a lot of scratch building to do...

Offline jknaus

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 08:43:22 AM »
Really nice work. Eventually I'll get to mine. Love the paint work on yours.
James

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks again guys!

Here is the link to the Morser on display in Brussels.

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/Canons/Eng_AfficheCanonGET.php?IdCanonAffiche=162