Author Topic: Show us your - Sopwith Camel  (Read 27456 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Show us your - Sopwith Camel
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 05:21:16 AM »
Very nice Brez

Ive had Wonga Bonga under partial construction for months and months. I may need to get the box out and start work on it again! 

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 05:26:47 AM »
Brez,
Nicely done Camel! The overall look is great! I really like the comic! You have done excellent work on the conversion!!
RAGIII
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 05:34:50 AM »
Brez,
Nicely done Camel! The overall look is great! I really like the comic! You have done excellent work on the conversion!!
RAGIII
RAGIII

Ditto my Amigo's comments !
Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 10:36:13 AM »
Lovely pair of Camels, Brez. The Comic is particularly eye catching, very nicely done and something a little different.
Nice to see some of your work.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2014, 05:50:47 PM »
Beautiful pair of Camels, Brez.  As one that has failed miserably on the Eduard version,
I admire even more your superb model.  Well done!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2014, 08:36:20 PM »
Extremely nice Camels Brez. I like the engine cowling and weathering very much. Congratulations.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Brez

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 12:11:50 AM »
  As one that has failed miserably on the Eduard version,

I have to admit Ernie, I did too. My first attempt on the Eduard Camel was just horrible. Nothing fitted, it seemed like I was trying to cram more and more into too small a space and in the end I binned it. Never got round to the rigging. "Wonga Bonga", the second attempt, was like building a different kit. I guess I was aware of the pitfalls but it went together so much easier.
Cheers,
Tony.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 04:57:08 AM »
When I discovered that I had missed so many of these gorgeous Camels, I decided that I'd better wait till I had a day off to properly respond to what I consider 5 equally stunning models.

Brad, this little beauty is one of the finest Camels I had ever seen, proving beyond a doubt that you were meant to build in this genre.

Mark, like Des, you took this old nag of a kit and made her look like a thoroughbred.  Truly remarkable work, buddy.

Prez, as always, you make 1/72 scale look easy.  Your wood grain and overall finish is spectacular.  This looks like what a WNW Camel would look like.

Tony, last but not least, you know how I feel about your Comic, mate.  So glad you finally posted her here.  Truly incredible work, from the Holt flares to the NIVO scheme.  I'm getting close to finishing mine and I can only hope that she turns out half as fine.  As for Wonga Bonga, she's perfect in every way.  I love the comparison between the F.1 and the Comic.  I think the Comic has more of a brutal look to her.

Thank you all for posting these lovely kites.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »
I am Posting some images for Ed Boll ( DR1 Ace) of his beautiful 1/28th Revelle Camel:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:55:16 AM by RAGIII »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 01:30:25 AM »
Gorgeous work as always Amigo!
Were the decals the ones offered at an IPMS convention YEARS ago?
RAGIII

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 03:15:43 AM »
Absolutely stunning, Amigo!  This is one I haven't seen yet.  A perfect stable mate for your amazing scratch-built Tripe.  Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »

Many Thanks to my 2 Amigos, Rick for posting and both your and Bud's kind compliments.

YES, it is the decal that was offered to the entire membership as a Special Product, till the supply ran out. (SCALEMASTER Limited Run) They
sometimes appear on e-bay. There are 1/28 markings for Cobby's Camel, Von Wedel's Dr-I and Guynemer's SPAD XIII;
plus stenciling.

The instruments, Petro tank (gravity & pressure) stenciling, prop/ machine gun warning instructions on the cowl are photo reductions of originals on Ciba-chrome paper .
The Charlie Chaplin figure decal is applied per the original- painted on a pieces of tin and applied to the fuselage sides along with 2 signs that he liberated from English Trains of " Caution it is dangerous to lean out the windows" on the  port side and  "Do Not Spit" on the starboard side above the figures. Also there were 3 sights , an Aldis( you can see the end in the middle picture) with a small  ring and bead sight  atop the Aldis and a larger ring and bead above the Right gun(bottom picture)

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 09:39:37 PM »
Hi Ed,

Absolutely fabulous build. If I may lift of one of the many splendid things : the propeller is gorgeous.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline mgunns

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 04:55:14 AM »
More Great Camels:

Thanks Bud for your kind words, duly appreciated. 

Prez:  Again, your work in 1/72nd truly amazing.  I just marvel at it.

DRI Ace:  It is neat to see the old Revell bird all dressed up so nicely.  Outstanding workmanship.

Brez:  Great pair of Camels.  The "Comic" looks loaded for bear, like a real warrior, of course Wonga Bonga looks the part as well.  I have never built an Eduard kit, but it sounds like these are a bit of a struggle.  Outstanding work.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »
Hi Ed,

Absolutely fabulous build. If I may lift of one of the many splendid things : the propeller is gorgeous.

Kind regards
Patrick

Thank you Patrick.  I did carve it, bolts and nuts are added one at a time.