Author Topic: Roden 1:32 Siemens Schuckert D.III  (Read 42777 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Roden 1:32 Siemens Schuckert D.III
« Reply #210 on: December 12, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »
Wonderful job on the prop Lance  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #211 on: December 12, 2015, 12:35:48 PM »
That prop will be the pièce de résistance on this build, LC.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #212 on: December 12, 2015, 01:29:55 PM »
Hello Lance,
My hat is off to you for the work you did on those propellers - wow! So very impressive.

Also you are a brave man to tape over the lozenge decals, to get that weathered effect on the wing ribs. I could guarantee that my luck would have that tape peeling off the decal ending up in some sort of chaotic un-fixable mess!

You are making some great progress.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: December 12, 2015, 02:51:38 PM »
von B, Terri and Bo, thank you much for the compliments on the prop. It can be a delicate little operation but this one was extremely forgiving! And you as well Gary. As for the taping I did lose two rib tapes which I had to replace. The old "tape on forehead and wrists for body oil trick" worked quite well. I think that technique came from Bo in my case. You just have to make sure you do a mirror check before you answer the door bell! :-[
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #214 on: December 15, 2015, 03:17:57 AM »
Hello Lance,

I can't but agree with everyone. Wonderful work on the lozenge and weathering and the prop, well I think that you master this so very well. How about starting a little prop factory? I think you would have a long client list!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #215 on: December 15, 2015, 03:37:31 AM »
With a superb carving ability like that Lance you're not an ex rubber power free-flight aero-modeller by any chance are you  ;) Lovely work on that prop indeed.
Those lozenge decals certainly look the business too - that's a very realistic finish you've achieved  - every post is taking us ever closer to one very impressive model

Regards - Tug

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #216 on: December 15, 2015, 06:03:31 AM »
Your post shading and weathering are superb, Lance, and that prop is AWESOME!  This is shaping up to be a real show stopper.
Cheers,
Bud

I couldn't agree more with my Amigo ! Superb work on the Lozenge shading and the Prop!
RAGIII

Another ditto from the 3rd Amigo !

ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: December 15, 2015, 10:06:39 AM »
Thanks so much, Patrick, Tug, and Ed. Your compliments are not lost on this Modeller, they are indeed appreciated.
Patrick, I'm afraid that at the pace I produce props my cliental would have to be very limited!
Tug, takes one to notice one I suppose. Yes, I spent several happy years immersed in rubber power and hand launched gliders many years ago. We had a Shop Teacher who was an avid Aero Modeller, he did it all including Control Line and some basic RC Modelling. He allowed us to use Shop Class time on flying models and awarded our grades on them; doesn't get any better for an 11-12 year old boy with a desire to fly!!! What a great teacher he was!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #218 on: January 06, 2016, 04:55:06 AM »
    It's time for a very long overdue update on this Build. It's almost complete so I thought it would be a good time to get the Log up to date.
    First the rigging was attached at all it's lower terminals. I used Gas Patch 1:48 Turnbuckles on these lower fittings with 1.0 mm Bob's Buckles to complete the joins. The structural rigging wire is Maxima Chamelion .12 mm (2 # test) with Mr. Metal Colour "Stainless" #213.

Next step was the cabanes which, like all of the struts, were drilled and "pinned" with stainless steel guitar wire. They were mounted with CA using a simple spacing and alignment jig. I managed to snap off both Spandau barrels and one ring sight during this step but got lucky, found both barrels and had a PE spare of the ring sight, and saved them for re-installation later.

Next step was mounting the top wing which I neglected getting photos of. It was mounted on the cabanes first however the main struts didn't fit at all. I had to carefully break the wing off and the bottom connections of the main bay struts, ended up trimming about 2 MM off each aft strut of the latter, and then the assembly went quite well although there is a very minor bend in one when closely examined. With that done the upper rigging attachments were completed.

I also did the cabane cross bracing using Modelkasten's 1:48 elastic thread for both the fore and aft positions. This view also shows the windscreen scratched out of a thicker clear stock then the Kit supplied version.

The elevator control cables were done with 0.11 mm mono and 1mm Bob's Buckles. The black over paint "glob" has since been touched up.

Next came the landing gear assembly, again facilitated with a simple jig and a level was used to ensure proper alignment.

The kit didn't provide any representation of the bungee suspension on the axle so lead wire was installed and painted with Tamiya's Deck Tan.

I then installed the tail skid and added a bracket from scrap PE at the rear connection.

Last, the gun barrels were re-installed and paint touch ups done followed by mounting the Kit's engine and the cowling, then completing the last rigging wire to the cowling.

The final steps will be adding some oil and a bit of "dirt" and a final touch up. Hopefully she'll be completed by tomorrow!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:19:24 AM by lcarroll »

Offline radio

« Reply #219 on: January 06, 2016, 05:31:03 AM »
Brilliant update Lance.
Cheers
Martin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2016, 06:11:43 AM »
Just absolutely perfect work Lance! The rigging is awesome!! A beautiful build all around from inside out. My friend Mac had one of these up for Auction and your build tempted me but I managed to resist  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2016, 06:27:31 AM »
   Thanks for the nice comments Rick and Martin.
   Rick, you should have grabbed it, it builds up fairly well and the aircraft stands out as something a little different then most German Single Seaters.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #222 on: January 06, 2016, 06:39:34 AM »
Beautiful! Your rigging is looking great, Lance! :)

George

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #223 on: January 06, 2016, 06:58:09 AM »
Hi Lance!!!

Somehow I completely lost track about this build but went through it once again proved to be brilliant - engines look fantastic, I love that prop, I want to eventually try it myself and rigging is just sublime and all together looks so clean!!! :) Always pleasure to re-discover these builds ;)

Cheerio
Lukas

"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2016, 07:16:45 AM »
This is looking absolutely incredible Lance, the rigging is excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com