Author Topic: Otto Doppeldekker 1/72  (Read 11638 times)

Offline lone modeller

Otto Doppeldekker 1/72
« on: October 11, 2015, 04:51:27 AM »
Evening All,

I have been suffering from pusher withdrawal symptoms recently, so thought that perhaps I should build another one to satisfy the craving. It happens that a couple of years ago I found some references to the Otto Doppeldekker and that a vacuform kit was released by Formaplane in the 1990's which can be found sometimes. Then I found the IPMS WW1 SIG site and via this Steve Cox who has built a couple of the Formaplane models. However I wanted to scratch-build one because I happen to think that by the time I have cut out and sanded down all of the parts for a vacuform I might as well make the parts myself. The engine would have to be scratch-built in any case and as this is probably the most difficult part, I could see no reason for not giving this one a try. I needed some plans and Steve Cox very kindly sent me a copy of drawings that had originally appeared in the German magazine Flugsport: these are probably as good as any as this type seems to have passed through innumerable variations. It would seem that about 180 of these machines were built and Otto was obviously experimenting with the design. In any event I intend to use the Flugsport drawings and such photographic evidence as I can find. I suspect that the model will not be 100% accurate, but I defy anyone to tell me exactly what is wrong when it is finished.

I started as usual by making a mould for the fuselage nacelle and made the fuselage halves using the standard push-mould technique. The next step will be to add the interior details including the fuel tank which was in the rear of the nacelle behind the pilot.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:15:35 AM by lone modeller »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Otto Doppeldekker 1/72
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 05:11:05 AM »
The Otto is such an interesting subject, I've been tempted to try my hand at this one myself, but, alas, I'm too lazy.  I'll savor it vicariously through you, Stephen.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline radio

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 05:54:35 AM »
Stephen that will be the next great build from you. I will watch this thread.
Cheers
Martin

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 06:45:17 AM »
Here's a link to some photos Stephen, I don't know if it is the same as the one you are building but it may give you some hints and tips to help you with your build.

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=4325.0

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Old Man

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 08:04:57 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you put this one together, Sir!

Great choice.

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 08:15:48 AM »
I'll be following this one, that's for sure! I finally got hold of the vac one recently so I'll be looking for tips. Any chance you could email me those plans?

Ian

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
The Otto is such an interesting subject, I've been tempted to try my hand at this one myself, but, alas, I'm too lazy.  I'll savor it vicariously through you, Stephen.
Cheers,
Bud

Bud,
Go for it man! I remember well your Koster Hanover,no doubts about it you can handle any vacuform kit no matter the scale my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »
 Stephen,
I am so looking forward to following this latest pusher project my old friend. Keep up the outstanding progress.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 04:55:29 PM »
i like this plane, a german pusher is a paradox as well.i have got some plans from cross and cockade i think and want to someday try one myself. will enjoy watching you.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 02:28:09 AM »
Thanks to all who dropped by and left such encouraging comments. They are all greatly appreciated.

Des: thanks for the links to Gunther's photos. I am aware of this version but I intend to go for a simpler one with a single rudder and a more conventional undercarriage with two wheels. Those interested should note the amount of steel tube in the structure, including the struts. Another replica that I have found has all of the fuselage framing in steel tube - I suspect that the two replicas were built from different plans/types. It certainly seems to have been a complex group of aircraft rather than a single type.

Jamo: one flew in East Africa (what is today Tanzania and south Kenya) between 1914 and 1916 in support of von Lettow Vorbeck and his army. Apparently the machine had been sent to South Africa (or more likely German South West Africa - now Namibia), to a private customer, but on the outbreak of war was transferred to the east and given to the army. There is at least one photograph of it which was taken during the war period - I will try to find a reference to it and post it.

IanB: if you send me an e-mail address I will try to send you a copy of the plans.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 04:25:27 AM »
Here you go, Sir....

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 01:52:51 AM »
Very many thanks Old Man - that is the photo that i was thinking of. I am not sure when or where it was taken except that it was post August 1914.

Stephen

Offline pustota

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 04:58:18 AM »
My fifteen cents...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 07:04:28 AM »
Thanks very much Pustota for all of these wonderful images, I'm sure that they will come in very useful to Stephen during his build. It is great to see an engine fitted to the museum aircraft, the photos I had showed the aircraft without an engine.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 08:08:54 AM »
Thank you SO much for those! That Argus is the same engine fitted to the Ilya Muromets so those pics will be very useful!

Ian