Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1:32 Roland C.IIa (Early) Feldflieger-Abteilung (A)292b  (Read 29993 times)

Offline FarEast

Yes I know it says 'Late; on the box, but before you post that Wingnut Wings doesn't make a 'Early' adaptation of the Roland C.IIa technically they do!  The guys and gals were kind enough to include absolutely everything you need to build all variants of the Roland C.II and C.IIa aircraft in both of the kits.

So with everything I need to build one hopefully if all goes well this build log will help others to who want to build an early versions of this aircraft.

Hmmmmm lots and lots of spures!

But....... I don't need this one (sprue I) as it contains all the 'Late' Additions to the internal and external modifications!

Bye-Bye!

Offline FarEast

Re: Wingnut Wings 1:32 Roland C.IIa (Early) Feldflieger-Abteilung (A)292b
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 10:47:40 PM »
Now the easiest way to build the 'Early' version of the C.IIa is to use the C.II instructions, if you don't have the kit don't worry as you can download it from the Wingnut Wings website for free. :D

So with the PDF open on my desktop it was time to go to work!

First up the nice leather armchair:

Flat black primer followed by a grey primer
Orange brown and wood grain base coat
Orange highlights applying several layers to build up the depth
Dark Sand highlighting on the edges and worn areas
Wood grain washes (I did two)
Mr. Weathering Brown wash
Mr. Weathering Ground Brown Wash
Mr. Weathering Multi Black wash.

base was done with all the preshading on all parts done first, followed by the layering of the floor sections - I taped this off and then did the greens - once dried washes applied. The seat belts are the PE parts that come with the kit, positioned and shaped before anything was painted and then painted separately and added once the chair was finished with another wash to create shadow where it rested.

The rib and auxiliary fuel tank were done in the same manner.

The small floor details were painted in and then everything glued in to place.

Next up the older type control column. I wanted to add some field modifications so having seen others wrap the wheel I decided to do the same.

Parts assembled and base coats down I had to call it a day, not bad for an afternoons work!

One to finish on:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:54:19 PM by FarEast »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 11:40:08 PM »
Really well done cockpit! Your weathering looks excellent as does your work on the stick! and wheel!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 07:40:48 AM »
You did a superb job with the seat, looks very realistic, and the control column turned out very well.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline radio

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:32:19 AM »
Wonderful work.
Cheers
Martin

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
Brilliant start, James!  Another masterpiece in the works.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline FarEast

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »
Nice start, but make sure you remove that big fingerprint off the cockpit floor before you go too much further. I only mention it because it will be very visible later on.  :)

Thanks for the heads up, I spotted it as well but I when I went back to check it was gone so I think it was a water print having just washed my hands after cleaning up.

Offline FarEast

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 10:34:08 AM »
So in between my sons sports day and the traditional Yakiniku party with friends afterwards I managed to get page 1 of the build finished.

Working out the correct decals to use on the radio was a bit of a headache but fortunately as I have both kits I was able to compare the two sheets and select the right ones for the 125W-Tonfunken-Sender/Empfänger AFS35 (Type C Wireless) I was a little disappointed by the lack of information on this part and on the C.IIa Late the radio is tucked away and given very little attention in the instructions, the C.II booklet is almost as bad so I was luck to find several images one very nice one showed a rather worn radio unit with the brass coming through the interior green paint in places as well as the brass backing plate to the dial selections and I decided to place my attempts somewhere between the factory fresh shown below and the rather battered and used one (Sadly I don't think I can share it due to copyright issues)

Next up was to get all the other little parts finished and in place ready for today's attentions and I hope to get all of the interior done. However the wife has other plans and I've already cut down a barren olive tree, transplanted a lemon tree to a better location and cut down more foliage than the Amazon Rain Forest, all before 9am! I just need to clean up the mess then its back to the work bench!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 10:45:21 AM »
Excellent work on the radio James, the fuselage interior details are looking really good.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 12:41:45 PM »
Outstanding work James! The radio looks real!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FarEast

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 10:45:51 PM »
A pretty good session on the work bench today after finishing up in the garden.

There aren't that many aftermarket parts for the Roland - I love the HGW Super Detail sets and I've used them on both the Eindecker and DH.2. Sadly however there just isn't one for the the C.II and C.IIa, so I went about using the stock parts.

First up was the 'Spark Advance lever' I just used a series of drills in decreasing size for the holes and then a scalpel blade to remove the flash within the frame.

Next up was the 'Starting Magneto' while rooting about for brass rod I suddenly realised that I had the fantastic Taurus Models German Magneto Set that he had so kindly given me for my Birthday - so after breaking out the x20 magnifying lenses I assembled the kit. (You'll need the glasses for the screws!)

From there I continued to assemble the kit as instructed.

On the console I made switches out of brass rod although for some reason the camera did a poor job of picking up the detail.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 10:52:42 PM »
The cockpit is coming along very nicely, James! That radio is a work of art!

George

Offline radio

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 02:17:24 AM »
Very great work, James.
Cheers
Martin

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 07:37:19 AM »
Hi James!!!

Once again - great work!!! And great pictures and great tutorial(s)!! ;) Thanks for those, I will sure be using them... ;) Looking forward to see more progress on this beauty!!!!

Cheerio
Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline FarEast

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 11:40:53 AM »
Hi James!!!

Once again - great work!!! And great pictures and great tutorial(s)!! ;) Thanks for those, I will sure be using them... ;) Looking forward to see more progress on this beauty!!!!

Cheerio
Lukas

Lukas, thank you for your kind words, comments are always very much appreciated and help keep me motivated to push things..... when I grow up I want to be like you and Bo Monroe! :D

So last night I did a little work that I wanted to get finished on the weekend but ran out of time.

The first job was to drill out the early floor plate so that the magazine could be fitted. Now again this is where great planning by the guys and gals at Wingnut Wings comes in to play as they have already marked where the hole needs to be drilled making the job much more easier!

I then removed the small amount of burring by running a fine brush with Tamiya polystyrene cement around it. This also liquefied the paint again which flowed over the freshly cut plastic. I then finished off the area with a multi-black wash. (not seen)

The next step was to clean up the  injection marks on the firewall that the magazine attaches to. These were rather pronounced so need attention.

This will then allow the magazine to fit flush - after dry fitting the piece I used a pencil to mark the location as this will act as a guide for the preshading as I prefer to paint these two pieces separately as I'm thinking of messing around with the magazine.

I also took the time to get you all a much better picture of the cockpit console and it's switches.

Right time to look for some 1:32 scale German Ammo belts!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:45:48 AM by FarEast »