Author Topic: who is overpaying for wnw on ebay?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

who is overpaying for wnw on ebay?
« on: August 19, 2015, 02:30:21 PM »
i have seen on several occaisions guys selling in production wnw kits for more than retail plus shipping. and they are selling. recently i saw a guy sell a pfalz d.iiia and a roland d.via each (which can be had for $69 direct from wnw and delivered in a week mind you) at $99.00 plus 12.95 shipping. who on gods green earth would pay $43 extra dollars for still available wnw kits???????????????????? i am literally speechless and thats odd.

i get paying higher prices for oop kits can no longer be gotten except here and there if someone decides to get off one. its worth what someone would pay. but this is a matter of ordering a used kit(previously purchased at the least) for more money. i am thouroughly perplexed???????

this happens regularly. who are these guys who wish to pay 60% more than retail for a new kit???????

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: who is overpaying for wnw on ebay?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »
Yeah, Scott.  I'm with you.  Don't get it.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »
I agree with you Scott, can't understand people paying such high prices for a kit that can be purchased from Wingnuts, I guess these people just don't know of the existence of the Wingnut Wings website.

I saw on US Ebay yestersday that an OOP Wingnuts RE.8 sold at auction for $215US ($292AUD), the guy was offering free post US only and restricted his auction to US only, this is a pretty good price for an OOP kit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 04:22:39 PM »
It's not only ebay - why should I buy via hannants or one of the German retailers, as they are much more expensive when compared with ordering directly (even including the time I have to waste traveling to the next custom's office and wading through the necessary bureaucracy...)?

I simply don't get it. But maybe I'm just dumb.

S.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 06:07:26 PM »
Stephan, you're not the dumb one, it's the people paying too much. But as the saying goes, "There's a sucker born every minute."

I have a good stash of "still in production" WNWs kits if anyone's interested!   8) ::)

George

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 08:49:16 PM »
It does seem ridiculous and it's not just limited to WNW products. One can often see Windsock Datafiles on EBay which, despite still being in print and available from Ray, are advertised at prices which exceed the cost bought from new.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 09:05:27 PM »
I think some internet shoppers don't really take the time to compare prices. They see a kit is available at what they perceive is a reasonable price and they just buy it. I also think that they may be buying for a relative or friend as a gift and are not familiar with what's in high demand and what's not.

I'm not a WNW's builder as I keep to 1/48 scale, but I see that the HB w-29 usually go for some big bucks. Shoppers may see this and think that all WNW kits demand these higher prices.

And last but not least, some folks just don't think like us.  ::)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 11:17:40 PM »
It's not only ebay - why should I buy via hannants or one of the German retailers, as they are much more expensive when compared with ordering directly (even including the time I have to waste traveling to the next custom's office and wading through the necessary bureaucracy...)?

I simply don't get it. But maybe I'm just dumb.

S.

You certainly are not dumb. On the other hand I think I recall some of our members from England saying that buying from Hannants is cheaper and quicker considering VAT and time spent in Customs.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jamieg

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 01:20:45 AM »
If I did not pay attention to forums like this, I might not be aware of Wingnutwings as a company. Then, I'm toodling through ebay looking at all of the World War I aircraft kits and I suddenly stumble on the plane of my dreams. I've been paying over US $150 for the latest Tamiya 1/32 WWII single seat fighter, so $99 for a Wingnut Albatros may seem a real bargoon. After I get my overpriced kit, I realise that there is a website, that the kits are much lower priced and that shipping is free. I never speak of this again. At least that is how I imagine it goes.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 01:39:11 AM »
Reminds me of the "Stupid Rich" commercials for a certain cellular provider here in the states.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sHq4RpTH2E
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 04:01:02 PM »
i guess i just figured if you were going to spend that kinda coin on a model you know what your buying.i didnt think that maybe a relative is buying it as a gift and has gotten deals on ebay and searches wingnut wings.when they see a kit going for high prices maybe they dont realise whats oop. so like mentioned above $99 for a pfalz seems fair when you see a re8 for $225.

manytimes i see something on ebay that seems a reasonable price like a book lets say. first thing i do is google it. then i check a few site that come up and see what they go for. in the case of books i find amazon generally has lower prices than ebay.i just have seen to many overpriced things on ebay to ever trust the 1st time i see something. that said i have gotten great deals their to.

i think also some guys that sell dont keep up with the release of new stuff. for instance the 1/48 aeroclub pup vacform used to fetch high prices as it used to be the most accurate 1/48 pup out there. since aeroclub released the injection pups this makes the vacs obsolete yet they are still asking $89.99 for a damn 30 year old vac. just cuz its rare doesnt mean its good is the point. i see old crappy kits all the time requesting high prices even though new versions are out. the new eduard ssw d.iii comes to mind. to me this makes the old eduard ssw d.iii worth $10 since you can get a new tool profipack for $30. yet theres still guys asking $49 for that old beast of a kit.

glad i am in the loop. it makes reality very clear.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 06:44:57 PM »
There is a guy on Australian Ebay asking ridiculous prices for 1:32 scale Roden WW1 aircraft kits but what makes it worse is that he advertises them as being rare, all the kits he advertises are freely available direct from the Roden website for a fraction of his asking price. So it is not just Wingnut kits, it is a case of buyer beware, Ebay is by no means the cheapest place to buy a product.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »
Used to love Ebay when it was more of an online "yard sale" where individuals sold off things they did'nt want any more. Now not so much.

Steve

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 06:28:21 AM »

i think also some guys that sell dont keep up with the release of new stuff. for instance the 1/48 aeroclub pup vacform used to fetch high prices as it used to be the most accurate 1/48 pup out there. since aeroclub released the injection pups this makes the vacs obsolete yet they are still asking $89.99 for a damn 30 year old vac. just cuz its rare doesnt mean its good is the point. i see old crappy kits all the time requesting high prices even though new versions are out. the new eduard ssw d.iii comes to mind. to me this makes the old eduard ssw d.iii worth $10 since you can get a new tool profipack for $30. yet theres still guys asking $49 for that old beast of a kit.

glad i am in the loop. it makes reality very clear.

Agree with you 100%, but I guess the guy is hoping for those "Collectors" who want an "Original" preferably in a "virgin Box" etc.  Sort of like the prices for the Revell "S" kit boxes-- not my cup of tea, I gladly sell off an oldie-but baddie for a new kit if it is indeed better
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 06:15:06 AM »
 I think that when it comes to E-Bay the old statement "Let the Buyer Beware" applies perfectly. I seldom  buy anything on EB anymore unless I personally know the seller. Bought too many of the ancient Aurora kits only to find the box was original but the kits wasn't,or a Smer kit.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"