Author Topic: 1/72 Avro Type D Biplane 1911  (Read 11686 times)

Offline Cimmerian

Re: 1/72 Avro Type D Biplane 1911
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »
This is wonderful to watch, enjoying it a lot.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2015, 09:39:50 PM »
I'm loving this build too,great to see old timers on the building board.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2015, 04:07:02 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Cimmerman and Thumbs Up for for generous comments: I am pleased that this one is generating interest. I do try to select subjects which are less well known and frequently unavailable as kits in this scale.

Lance watch this space as I am about to demonstrate another of my "jigs" that I made-up-as-I-went-along earlier this week: this time for the undercarriage legs.  Before that though I had other things to do.

Having fixed the top wing to the centre section struts I added the second pair of inner struts and the the fuel tank which was carried on a cross strut on the starboard (right) side. The tank was made from sprue filed and sanded to shape. The two bands around the tank were made from stretched sprue. With this in place I could then fit and paint the remaining wing struts - straightforward as the holes had been drilled in the wings and all I had to do was trim the struts to size and gently push them into place after I had put a drop of glue into the holes. The structure was left to dry out overnight simply to allow it to be handled freely when I came to put the undercarriage on.

The undercarriage skids and legs were cut from 20 x 30 thou Evergreen strip. The skids were shaped by pinning them to a block of wood and immersing them in boiling water for 10 seconds and then plunging into cold water also for 10 seconds. Holes were drilled into the tops of the skids where the struts would be attached later. The front pair of struts which extend from the nose, and the rear vertical pair to the wing, were measured from the plan and cemented into place on one side only to hold one skid. Now I made a very simple "jig". In order to make sure that the skid was correctly aligned parallel with the fuselage I laid a piece of paper on the wing with the cut edge where the skid would need to be: alignment by Mk 1 eyeball ensured that the skid was in the correct place. However because the skid leans outwards it needed support or it would sag too far so I used two pieces of plastic card off-cut to hold the struts while they set a little. (The image shows this technique being used on the second skid assembly).

When the struts had set sufficiently the rest of the undercarriage could be accurately measured from the model using a pair of dividers, cut and shaped, and glued into place. Just so that you can see clearly, here is the port (left) side u/c complete:

The process was then repeated for the other side.The axles are held in place by two pieces of 20thou card with holes drilled to represent the metal brackets on the original machine. The radius rods were made from thin rod.. The wheels were made by cutting discs from 20 thou clear acetate sheet for the centres which were scribed with the point of a pair of dividers to represent the spokes. Lengths of 20 thou rod were wound tightly around a paintbrush handle to make a series of loops which could be cut to size and put around the discs to represent the tyres. I held the tyres on the wheel centres with super-glue. The piece of copper wire has been coiled to represent the feed pipe from the fuel tank to the engine: this will be fitted shortly.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen (von Jigmeister).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:55:43 AM by lone modeller »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2015, 05:04:09 AM »
 Stephen,
Outstanding progress to date my old friend. Man do I ever love these early aircraft. Keep up the above excellent works.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2015, 07:13:03 AM »
"Lance watch this space as I am about to demonstrate another of my "jigs" that I made-up-as-I-went-along earlier this week: this time for the undercarriage legs."

Waiting with bated breath, von Jigmeister! Those spoke inserts are magnificent BTW.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2015, 07:23:04 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me how you can do such precise work in 1:72 scale Stephen, the model is looking fantastic and your technique to make the wheels is brilliant, well done so far.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline radio

« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
Exellent update Stephen.
Cheers
Martin

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2015, 06:06:24 AM »
Evening All

Many thanks Gregory, Des, Lance and Martin for your kind comments which I truly appreciate.

I have now almost finished the construction of the model - i.e. I have added the tail surfaces which are cut and shaped from 20 thou card with 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip for the ribs, and put on the tail skid.

I have also finished the front end in terms of adding the radiator and water pipes from the engine, (how did the pilot see where he was going? On at least one machine the radiator was lowered and angled across the passenger seat in front of the pilot). I have also added the fuel pipe from the gravity tank and you can now see the latter properly. The wheels are on so now it only remains to complete the rigging and add final details.

The only problem now is that I have to be away (again) so there will be a delay before it is completed.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:58:00 AM by lone modeller »

Offline ermeio

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2015, 06:42:30 AM »
Excellent model and great solution for the spokes, Stephen!

Offline IanB

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2015, 07:19:21 AM »
Beautifully done Stephen. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Ian

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2015, 08:45:42 PM »
I really am in awe, Stephen.  The Avro is looking absolutely
wonderful and a testament to your modeling skill.  I am
very much looking forward to the finishing pictures.
Beautiful work, my friend. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2015, 11:55:46 PM »
   Like Des I never cease to be amazed by the detail and complexity you provide In 1:72 Scale, Stephen. That "nightmare" of landing gear was tamed in a heartbeat, a simple but very effective solution! Looking really impressive and not even finished yet! 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline radio

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2015, 01:14:03 AM »
Very wonderful work to make the rips.
Cheers
Martin

Online RAGIII

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2015, 04:04:47 AM »
Brilliant build all around Stephen!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2015, 08:56:37 AM »
You have made excellent progress with this build Stephen, it is really looking the part now and I look forward to seeing the rigging fitted.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com