Author Topic: News from WNW  (Read 14456 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: News from WNW
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 10:51:59 PM »
Well at least we can be pretty sure WNW won't mount the Vickers upside-down.

Maybe we can start speculating how many boxings of the Camel there will be. I'm not expert enough to know what the demarcations might be, except Comic and I suppose the various powerplants?

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 11:01:43 PM »
i am not sure if i will even buy a wnw camel. maybe i would i would have to flip thru the instructions and check out the decals schemes and decide. a while back one of our forum members i cant remember who said they wouldnt get a dfw c.v cuz it looked just like a rumpler. i disagreed but when i look at a camel it looks alot like my wnw pup. more so than a rumpler and a dfw to me. guess it just that i am a diehard central powers fan.my opinion is the german and a/h stuff is just so much neater looking,so many intersting color schemes and patterned fabrics . granted there are a handful of french and a couple brit planes i really like but with the fact that they (mainly brit) are all the same color with slightly diff markings i cant see building multiples of same or similar types.

I think you make a fair point.  Some folks will buy every WNW kit come what may - others pick and choose.  Unless there is a specific reason such as completing a collection, favourite type etc I will get a model of something that catches my eye.  Many of the WNW releases over the last 2 years or so haven't interested me, despite the obvious quality.

Would I buy a Camel?  Maybe, as it is an iconic type - as is the Dr1..

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 11:31:07 PM »
i would also buy a dr.1 although i personally have gone on record as saying i think the roden kit is sufficient . would the wnw be better yeah, and due to the fact that there are like a hundred diff schemes sure why not. but i didnt buy a wnw se5a for the longest cuz i had already gotten the encore kit and didnt see the need in having 2 1/32 se5a kits, cuz they all basically look the same.i came across a guy locally last year who flipped me a wnw se5a for $40 so i said why not.as far as the former i have 4 1/32 dr.1 kits unbuilt and 1 built. and yes i would buy a wnw one although i wish they would do many of the craft that have no kit in 1/32 before they start doing things like that. ok the hobbycraft old tool and academy need some real work and replacement guns. the later hobbycrafts not as much but are fairly accurate in profile and i have seen some really nicely done ones. so to me why even do a camel anytime in the near future? we need so many neat craft kitted why rehash something else. i know some guys want the latest and greatest and i understand it would be nicer. but i truly dont mind doing some actual old school sand test fit sand test fit. to me its more fun to have to find creative solutions to problems, i enjoy scratch building parts that are missing or not quite right in an older kit . its just what each person likes and everyone has a right to that. some guys like to concentrate on the painting and do a quick easy build its all about whats fun for each individual.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 12:18:30 AM »

Maybe we can start speculating how many boxings of the Camel there will be. I'm not expert enough to know what the demarcations might be, except Comic and I suppose the various powerplants?

I will bite on this one! My speculation is we will see:
1.RFC boxing
2. RNAS boxing
3. A 2F1 boxing
4. Duelist( Perhaps with one of the OOP German fighters, or my wish, a DR1  8)
5. Longshot for a Comic boxing
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline boggie

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 12:46:42 AM »
Your speculation sounds pretty much spot on to me RAGs.
I seem to recall Airfix did a duellists Camel and DRI.
I think the Camel was the first WWI model I built.
No doubt it wasn't too classy as I was about 8yrs old, but I recall it, along with the albatros
and others, hanging proudly from my bedroom ceiling.   
Ah! Nostalgia.  :)
Probably why I would buy all Camel versions WNW produce.  ;D
Of course that doesn't say much for my maturity, but it does make me a good customer Hahaha.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 02:26:03 AM »
WNW always has a June/July release, so I'm sure we'll have a surprise in store soon.  I recently read a list of Pup kills and a large percentage of those were Halberstadt D.II's.  I wouldn't be surprised if our friends in Wellington were to sneak one of those in on us.  I'm betting on this December as the Camel release date.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline James

News from WNW
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 02:34:54 AM »
A camel would be cool, but I'm holding out for a surprise, a Friedrichshafen G.III
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 02:46:47 AM »
Will someone please explain what a COMIC is? At least in terms of Sopwith A.C.

(Yes, the potential for humor is great.) (But I will resist.)

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 02:59:40 AM »
All jokes aside, Michael, this might give you some idea.
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2680.msg44321#msg44321
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 03:00:47 AM »
This is what is referred to as a Sopwith Comic;

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 03:02:48 AM »
Certainly some interesting replies to Wingnut Wings's Camel announcement. Having failed years ago to adequately assemble and paint an Eduard Camel F.1 (although I do have another of those in the box, just in case I want to try again), I am looking forward to a Wingnut Wings version. I believe everything is going to fit, be more than reasonably accurate, well engineered for assembly and be supported by a plethora of source images. I expect an enjoyable and historically relevant modeling experience that will result in an important addition to my little collection.

Yes, it's "iconic", been done before, yet another Camel and put down as ordinary and passé by many people. Some modelers already have Camels done by other makers, as I do, yet none promise to be the drop-dead amazingly well done effort that I expect from Wingnut Wings. I will keep my Eduard Camel since we still have a grudge match to fight in the distant future, but if I had Encores, and other large scale Camel kits, I'd dump them as fast as possible and buy some Wingnut Wings Camel kits. Just as I would any Dr.1 or F.1 Wingnut Wings kits.

I suppose some modelers prefer to attempt the "silk purse from the sow's ear" projects, but I'm not one of them. I like to add bits and bobs, lines, hoses, and a few other do-dads to spruce up an engine or cockpit now and then, but really, I am not interested in scratch building entire assemblies or correcting design, accuracy or production mistakes just to get a reasonable kit. Each to his own, however.

I hope that we see another kit or two before Wingnut Wings releases the Camel. So, to that end, I cast my votes for the Dr.1/F.1 and  1903 Wright Flyer.

Might as well dream big.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 03:18:03 AM »
All jokes aside, Michael, this might give you some idea.
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2680.msg44321#msg44321
Cheers,
Bud

Wonderful work on that Comic Bud, don't know how I missed it !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 05:44:13 AM »

I will bite on this one! My speculation is we will see:
1.RFC boxing
2. RNAS boxing
3. A 2F1 boxing
4. Duelist( Perhaps with one of the OOP German fighters, or my wish, a DR1  8)
5. Longshot for a Comic boxing
RAGIII

Matches my thoughts and desires on the topic exactly. I'd buy 4 out of 5 and perhaps a "Duelist" set as well if the German Type really appealed. (A new DR.1 or and OAW D.VII for eg.)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 08:08:50 AM »
I'm not a Camel fan - even after seeing Sir Peter's Gnome-powered replica fly a dozen or so times since 2004, I can't explain it but I prefer the Pup - but it's great to see this is coming. I may even get one! There's ample options for decals and boxings in my view. If they do end up doing a Dr.I then you can guarantee a Brown v MvR Duellists kit would be a major best-seller.

I also hope to see a BE2 series - TVAL has to be sharing information on their real F and numerous reproductions with WNW for this to happen! If we're taking wishlist orders then I'd like a C and F.

I like that some of the decal sheets from their kits are now being offered separately, and at reasonable prices. Imagine if they did an Eduard Overtrees type deal, offering certain kits for sale as sprues-only without decals or instructions...

I must say I like the new catalogue, with photos of built-up kits included. A great motivator for prospective buyers like myself. How long have the late Ninak and Brisfit been in "development"? I'm not likely to buy either but I'm curious.

As for what I'd like to see next? (If I'm out of line for posting this please let me know.)
BE2 and BE12 series (TVAL have/have built half-a-dozen or so)
Airco DH.4 (TVAL have a Liberty-engined flying repro and a static original Boeing mailplane)
Avro 504K (TVAL have flying original and repro)
Curtiss JN-4
Standard J-1
Fokker E.V/D.VIII (TVAL have two flying repros)
Sopwith Tabloid/Schneider/Baby series
Vickers Vimy
Vickers Gunbus

And regarding the Wicker Seat Debate, the TVAL-built SE.5a I crawled over in 2007 didn't seem to have a wicker one:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:25:20 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 08:15:08 AM »
Here are some thoughts on Markings options for the RFC Camel:
1.Woolets 43 sq. Camel with the White? blotches on the upper wings.
2. Cobbys' Camel
3. McClarens Camel
4. A night fighter,(but not a comic), from the 1st pursuit  groups 185th Aero Sq., AEF.
 ;D

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler