Author Topic: What's your set of wheels.  (Read 8912 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
What's your set of wheels.
« on: May 17, 2015, 09:10:30 PM »
Similar to our topic on What's Your Work Bench like I would like to start this new topic, What's your set of Wheels. This is purely a fun topic to allow members to post images of their mode of transport, their everyday wheels or their going out vehicle. It may be a sedan, a ute, a pick-up, a truck, a motorbike or even a bicycle, whatever you call your "wheels". Many of us have more than one vehicle so the more images the better, lets have a bit of fun.

I will start the ball rolling with images of my car. I only have the one vehicle so I try to take good care if it. It is a 2000 S-Type Jaguar, V6 3L, 6 speed auto, full leather interior, I have had this car for 8 years and it is my pride and joy, it is a dream to drive.

Des.

This is a car I fully restored many years ago. It is a 1971 XY Ford Falcon GTHO Phase two, at the time was the worlds fastest four door production sedan. I had an enormous amount of fun driving this awesome beast, best sounding V8 I have ever heard. Sadly, I had to sell the car for a more family friendy vehicle, these days the same Falcon GTHO is fetching well over $100,000, if only I knew....

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:58:05 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Russell

Re: What's your set of wheels.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:43:14 PM »
A coincidence Des,

Here's my S Type which I've had for getting on for 4 years now

No I don't keep it in the house  ;) the photo is saved from the dealers website.

Yes they are nice.

Here's dark scan of a photo of a former steed (Caterham 1700 Super Sprint + mods) which I had for 7 years & was my only car for a year or so - never drove it with the roof up (only put it up once in the driveway - not worth the effort). Actually it does almost qualify to be in the forum on it's own right as I did become airborne over with a former rally co-driver in the passenger seat - happy landing though  :)

Prior to that were Lotue Elans

Regards
Russell

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:45:54 PM »
Nice Des,

Funnily enough, I bought this at the weekend..hopefully as an investment, but to enjoy too  ;)

1985 Porsche 928 S2  ;D

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Russell

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 10:51:56 PM »
A friend had the same model 1961 SS Alfa for many years. The SS is a glorious shape.

Regards
Russell

Offline ondra

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »
Very impressive, Bo, Giulietta Spider is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced.

My 2 cent - unfortunately I do not have this car any more, but I really loved it. Mitsubishi Pajero 2,5 TDI, I bought it when it was 22 years old but the previous owner really took care of her. The red colour was not a lucky choice as it turned rather sort of pink after all those years and so it looked very gay. :) But that does not change anything on the fact that it always brought me to the final destination in whatever weather (and trust me the winters in the highland are pretty tough).

As one of my friends once said, there is no chance that a factory that produced Mitsubishi Zero would make a bad car. :)

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Vickers

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 01:51:21 AM »
Wow, you guys have some very nice and classic rides! Here's the oldest car I've ever owned, bought with cash. It was a '63 Beetle that I had for several years, then sold to a co-worker Bug fanatic for the same amount. It was a pretty groovy car.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 01:56:14 AM »
Love those split window beetles...

Offline Vickers

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 02:00:54 AM »
And here's the wheels I scored about three years ago- the "Master Chief" front plate retired on the same day that I did and has since been replaced with an Arizona State Flag (like the background of the original Copper State Models logo).

Offline Vickers

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 02:04:19 AM »

If I ever find another I may make a grab for it, Bo. It was a really great car- and I had this nifty hippie cartoon book called "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive"- full of maintenance methodology and inexpensive little tricks that worked very well.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 02:08:19 AM »

If I ever find another I may make a grab for it, Bo. It was a really great car- and I had this nifty hippie cartoon book called "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive"- full of maintenance methodology and inexpensive little tricks that worked very well.

Yes, that book was my bible when I was 16. My first car was a '67 Karmann Ghia convertible; I rebuilt (and later souped up) the engine by following that book. The drawings were fantastic.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 02:15:34 AM »
Example illustrations from HTKYVWAFTCI

Offline Vickers

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 03:26:47 AM »
Thanks for the reminder on the book, Bo! It was so easy to read and very humorous- some of the drawings were drawings were downright hilarious. I've never been schooled on mechanics, but that book had me doing stuff like a pro- all new electrical harness, all kinds of new stuff for the ignition system, etc. I don't suppose that Albatros publications will ever hire a stoner cartoonist for an upcoming volume in the "Building the WNW _______" series.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 04:34:41 AM »
Almost afraid to show my set of wheels, but here they are!
offcourse a dutchman would ride one of these....

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 04:38:14 PM »
I ride a big powerful German motorcycle. Her name is, Ankerlier  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 06:04:36 PM »
Nothing really special here. But, well - a two-years-old Opel Astra Sedan, B 1.6 XER, 115 HP, 5-speed manual gear box. And we like it very much  :)

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.