Author Topic: What's your set of wheels.  (Read 8915 times)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: What's your set of wheels.
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2015, 10:45:32 PM »
I take it Squiffy, the Jag won't be getting the same
paint job as the Land Rover? ;) ;D ;D
"Jennifer" really is a beaut, by the way. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline macsporran

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 12:06:52 AM »
Here's my current Rotte!
X555NDY is the everyday wheels - a BMW530D. 0-60 in 5.9secs but still returns 40mpg. Previous wheels were a Volvo S80 (Comfortable but stodgy), M-B E-Class (unreliable) and an XF Jaguar (OK). The Beamer knocks them all into a cocked hat though with a marvellous blend of effortless performance and quiet comfort. Top Gear voted it best exec saloon and I heartily concur. It even parallel parks itself. Hilarious watching other drivers when you lift your hands in the air as the car steers itself into a space.

The fun car, Y555NDY, is a Porsche 987. Previous roadsters were an MX-5 (great but underpowered), Audi TT (thirsty) and a new-shape BMW Z4 (disastrous. I'd wanted one as soon as the new model was released - but what a turkey!) The Boxster is in a class of its own for handling and chassis feedback. Like a precision instrument. Wonderful.

(I tried to get DVLA to sell me registrations ending 54NDY but they would only sell me 55NDY!)
Sandy

Offline petrov27

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2015, 12:37:48 AM »
Wow folks have some really nice rides!

My current is a Volvo C30R

-Patrick

Offline dtomko

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2015, 04:32:24 AM »
Something a little different: I'm all electric now.  2013 Honda Fit EV.  I usually get 70 to 90 miles on a charge, except in the winter. The range really suffers in the extreme cold.  It's perfect for my 35 mile commute to work, which also has a charging station.  It's great fun to drive, very fast if need be, although flooring it really drains the battery. 

Drew

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 10:18:37 PM »
Hello guys...

Here is my set of wheels and reason why I cant carry on with my models for next few months :D

Cheerio
Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline ermeio

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2015, 03:37:14 AM »
Lukas, I bet that you are the only one among us  ready to bring back home the WNW zeppelin LZ 10 airship in 1/32.... As soon as it will be released.
Bo will ask you to change his fiat for your bus. :-)))

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2015, 03:27:46 PM »
Yeah... The only Bentley you have was from Taurus Models (but I doubt you even have one of those). ::)

G

Offline macsporran

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »
Can I suggest a more classy picture of a Roller would be not in front of the Museum of Sex!
S

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2015, 02:58:40 AM »
Can I suggest a more classy picture of a Roller would be not in front of the Museum of Sex!
S
Well, that's where Big Mike likes to hang out, literally, so....
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
What's your set of wheels - My 1976 Triumph TR6
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 08:29:51 AM »
Certainly not my daily driver, not in these Nebraska winters!  Bought 20 years ago still has original British Racing a Green paint, original interior, motor etc.  74k miles.  Not perfect, a few dings but I'm of the school it's only original once.  Other two cars are Prius' as we put a lot of Mike's on visiting the grand kids in Kansas and Missouri.   

By 1976 the U.S. emissions  laws forced Tirumph to tweak the carbs so it's only 104 horsepower but on the other hand it's made to run on unleaded gas.  My 1962 TR4 was a faster car but how it got away is another story. 

Charlie
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:38:17 AM by cduckworth »
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline macsporran

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 09:10:22 AM »
Nice car, Charlie.
Jeez, when I was young the roads were full of these beautiful TRs, along with Elans, Alpines, MGBs, E-types, Sprites, Spitfires, Healeys. You could buy them for a song. Now they are as rare as hen`s teeth and twice as dear.
What happened to the great (affordable) British Sports Car!
S

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »
What I read was the U.S. emissions laws and safety regulations did the British sports cars in and then Datsun imported the 280Z (what it doesn't leak oil?). 

I read that a larger percentage of  British sport cars were exported to the U.S. than were sold in GB, not that many here in Nebraska but when we lived in St. Louis there was four good sized British car clubs MG, Triumph, Jaguar and Austin-Healeys.   There's only two mechanics here that work on British cars one is in his 70's. 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:06:59 PM by cduckworth »
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »
Here's my one favourite possessions resting against another one.  This is a Mercian custom that I had built for me in 2005 with a Rohloff gear hub.  It's my primary mode of transport.  I work from home, so my car only gets used for far distances or for transporting or buying things that are too big for this to carry.

And I have a folding bicycle too for travel.  It folds into a Samsonite suitcase that can be trailed behind the bicycle (not pictured here).  Here it is at some point during a trip through Thailand, about 10 miles or so from Railay Beach.

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2017, 06:09:41 AM »
Very nice bike!

Not too late to register for this little jaunt on it - organised by a couple of pals:

https://www.marrakech-atlas-etape.com/

and in a great cause:

http://www.efamorocco.org/

There's a very nice, but slightly unhinged chap who has done it on a Brompton folding bike for the last two years, so........
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2017, 12:06:24 PM »
Thanks Rowan!  Those look like magnificent rides.  I'd very seriously consider joining one of them, but this is the worst year possible since I'm about to buy a house in Washington State, USA, which will consume my funds and time through the middle part of this year and surely a bit beyond.  Thank you for sharing though!