Author Topic: Decals and details for Rudenberg's Pfalz  (Read 5829 times)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Decals and details for Rudenberg's Pfalz
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 05:56:20 AM »
.....Re the RLM colours, not a silly idea. I'm sure someone out there has done the research to show one way or the other..

Steady, Zac! Someone once suggested in an online forum that RLM 02 was the same in WWI and all grey-green of that period was, in fact, RLM02. The poor bugger has been villified ever since!

All I would suggest is that the British army painted their equipment Khaki, the French, Bleu d'horizon and the Germans used Feldgrau for the same purposes. As far as I know there were no standardised colours for any of these basic shades during WWI, just generalised descriptions which were probably met equally vaguely by different manufacturers - the phrase "close enough for government work" has to have arisen somewhere! Standardisation and mass production were very new concepts during this time and nowhere near as widespread as in WWII, for instance.

So let me get this straight, Rowan. Are you suggesting for one moment that the yellow on my DIII could actually be correct? That's motions to War, my friend!  ;D

Von Savedfromrespray  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

mike in calif

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 09:24:40 AM »
Point taken, Rowen. In my plan for world domination, I'd use an RLM shade as a potential base for a WWI color. I did use RLM02 for a Fokker green, but lightened it up with a straight green IIRC.
KiwiZac, Modelmaster is enamel, but way up here they also have an acrylic line.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 08:41:35 AM »
there is a great article in windsock vol 5 no.4 by ian huntley titled "pc-10 "A" a brief history of the first khaki varnish" where he talks about the different doping methods. sometimes they did coats of clear shrinking dope then colored pigmented dope(mainly early on) other times it was pigmented shrinking dope.at least 5 different methods that have been discovered. the variety of methods and different mixing ratios is why pc-10 ranges from brownish green to chocolate brown. there were different varnishes as well some yellowed more giving different tones. amount of UV exposure plus different factories used different mixes and different methods. there was NO standardization whatsoever so anyone that argues that in ww1 this color was exactly this or that is most likely wrong. you can only use the suggestions as a guideline. my guideline is what looks good to me mixed with what people i respect say it was similar too.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 10:12:03 AM »
Apologies all, I didn't mean for my flippant, off-hand comment to start something different to discussion of my chosen Pfalzes!

Thanks for the tip Mike!
Zac in NZ

mike in calif

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »
Zac, you're welcome. I'm curious how an RLM yellow would look compared to say, a US 1930's chrome yellow. In scale or, for scale effect might it be more suitable?
Albie, WWI Aero #137/August '92 had a similar article; pretty interesting.

Offline davecww1

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 09:53:52 AM »
Hi Zac,
I'm an enamels guy myself, but acrylics work the same, use basic colors you have, yellow and red, then mix them together until you get a light orange color that matches the chrome yellow color chip.  And don't forget, the Jasta 10 chrome yellow was not a color supplied by the German army, it was by no means a standard color so it was probably mixed in the field, so much red added to that can of yellow until it looked like Herr Voss's cowl... you get the picture!
Dave

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »
Thanks Dave, I don't know why I automatically thought Chrome Yellow was a standard colour.
Zac in NZ

WarrenD

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 03:00:38 AM »
so much red added to that can of yellow until it looked like Herr Voss's cowl... you get the picture!

Wow!  You mean you can add enough red to the yellow to make it olive?  Neato-mosquito!  ;) ;) ;) :) ;D :D

Warren
Sorry, couldn't resist guys.

Offline davecww1

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 03:13:46 AM »
Just a joke Warren!  You probably remember the debates about that at the Aerodrome, I for one used olive for MY F1.  But since Jasta 10 was the only Jasta to use the Chrome yellow that photographed black I'm thinking they mixed their own or got it locally. Of course that was using ortho but so did most of the cameras used back then which is a completely different subject.  To get back to the topic here is one you might like, from around 1990 using the old Aurora kit...

WarrenD

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »
I was kidding too Dave!  Everyone knows that Voss' cowling was plaid.

Warren

mike in calif

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »
Nice work Dave.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2022, 08:24:30 AM »
Bumped as I fixed my photo links (thanks, Photobucket). And now I'm thinking 1/48 might be better for this project...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 08:34:38 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2022, 10:05:10 PM »
Depending on which kit you have it might be possible to patch together the serial from the availble? The rest seems to be generic crosses/stencils or can be painted. I did that for this very machine, but with a 1/72 Roden :)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2022, 04:35:00 AM »
I'm still yet to get a kit for this project but always happy to gather information and advice - a very good call, thank you!
Zac in NZ