Author Topic: Making linen color  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Jas32596

Making linen color
« on: October 11, 2022, 10:22:35 AM »
Good evening all,
This is my first post as I've just joined this forum. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks on how to get a linen color or close to one. I'm currently building a Roden Spad VII

Offline Rob Hart

Re: Making linen color
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 10:50:35 AM »
My formula is 9 x Tamiya White acrylic X2 (or XF2 if you prefer flat paint) and 1x Tamiya Acrylic Dark Yellow XF88. See Nieuport 10 in "Completed Models" for results.

I also recommend perusing the kit instruction sheets on the Wingnut Wings website for other recommendations.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 05:36:58 PM »
Lots of variations in colour so you'll have a fair bit of leeway for whatever you use. The wingnut site gives lots of references and is a good shout by Rob

NB - It's worth noting that the French started mixing silver dope to their covering dope at some point (I can't remember the date off the top of my head) This gave a slightly different hue to 'normal' doped linen; more a biscuit/pale coffee/cream colour.

Whatever colour you use make sure you mix enough for touch ups later on  ;)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 08:16:52 PM »
I used to use various mixes of colours, but due to what above poster mentioned about touch-ups, I just went and bought all linen-like colours of the paint line I use (Vallejo model air) to make touch ups easier. As mentioned, the actual shade varied quite a bit so there is no need to get too nerdy about it - I use different shades on different models (and often several on the same model) to get some variation.

The creamy colour on the SPAD 7 is a bit different from the ”natural” linen though.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 04:34:26 AM »
I too like to refer to Wingnut Wings instructions as a "bible" of sorts. I use Tamiya acrylics (eg XF-55 for RFC clear-doped linen) which makes following their lead easier.
Zac in NZ

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 04:55:14 AM »
I use tea to stain white primer,no milk or sugar ;)

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 06:44:52 AM »

That's interesting. I made need to investigate. Any particular tea?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 07:21:10 AM »
I used to use various mixes of colours, but due to what above poster mentioned about touch-ups, I just went and bought all linen-like colours of the paint line I use (Vallejo model air) to make touch ups easier. As mentioned, the actual shade varied quite a bit so there is no need to get too nerdy about it - I use different shades on different models (and often several on the same model) to get some variation.

The creamy colour on the SPAD 7 is a bit different from the ”natural” linen though.

Yep, I agree totally! The "Yellow Period" is certainly different from the "CDL" birds. As for SPAD VII aircraft there are examples of both. Early ones like Guynemer were most likely CDL but I am not sure. I am including a link to One of My SPAD builds. There is another link inside this thread  8) IHTH,
RAGIII
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13205.0
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 09:36:48 AM »

Yorkshire strong brew will give you a good colour.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 10:44:20 AM »
As a brush painter I use Citadel paints Flayed One Flesh for CDL. Depending on the aircraft it can be darkened or lightened but the base paint is a good basic clear doped linen.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Allan31

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2022, 04:20:51 AM »
Awhile ago, I found on the www some FS code for CDL, FS 33695, this is available from Vallejo as there 71.074 Beige.

hope this helps....

« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 03:06:29 AM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Online enathan

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 09:33:22 AM »

- Don't use Earl Grey  ;D  ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 10:27:31 AM by enathan »