Author Topic: Joystick 1/72 Albatros C.1  (Read 25453 times)

Offline Danh4

Joystick 1/72 Albatros C.1
« on: March 20, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
Thought I'd better stop collecting vac kits and actually build one of them so this has made it's way to the bench. 

It's going to provide a few challenges, the biggest being the fact that it is my first vac biplane.  Seems like a nice kit though, so far I've just cut out the fuselage halves and have been cleaning them up and planning how to handle the cockpits.  I'm also looking for photos and drawings of what's in there, not finding much yet.

I'm going to fit a Mercedes engine from a Roden Fokker DVII.  I think it will be a fun project!

-Dan

Offline IanB

Re: Joystick 1/72 Albatros C.1
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 11:08:19 AM »
Nice choice.
 I'm in a similar boat, in having many vacs in my stash (including this one) but never having built one, so I'll be following this build to see how a first-timer handles it!

Ian

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »
Looking forward to your build  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Danh4

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 02:32:21 AM »
Nice choice.
 I'm in a similar boat, in having many vacs in my stash (including this one) but never having built one, so I'll be following this build to see how a first-timer handles it!

Ian

Better yet, pull it out and get working on it!  It would be fun to have somebody to bounce ideas off of.

-Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 08:06:40 AM »
Nice subject choice Dan, I have never built a vac form kit so I will be keeping a close watch on how you approach this build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Danh4

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 03:22:52 AM »
Nice subject choice Dan, I have never built a vac form kit so I will be keeping a close watch on how you approach this build.

Des.

It's only my third vac and like I said, my first biplane vac so I'm a little worried about that.  The split upper wing of the Albatros is setting off a few warning bells already but I'll deal with it when I get there and I'm sure there are more than a few folks here who can help if I get in trouble!

-Dan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 03:38:30 AM »
I've gotten most of the basic structures done in the cockpits,  almost all of it is based on drawings found on the 'Net.  I used the kit's floor but the rest is made from plastic card.  The fuel tank that the pilot sits on is made from a chunk of resin pour stub (I knew there was a reason I was saving that stuff). 

The C.III had four vertical tubes in the front of the gunner's compartment that held bombs and I'm pretty sure the C.I had something similar but I'm not sure of the number of tubes, does anyone know?  There is also a trailing aerial reel, ammo storage and other stuff that needs to go back there and I'll probably "imagineer" it all. 

-Dan

Online NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 09:16:40 AM »
I like that interior.  It's very convincing.  Painting will really make this think look awesome.

Nice start so far...and more life breathed into the vac site!!!!!!!!  ;D ;) ;) ;D

Dan^2

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 12:16:48 AM »
Looking great! Nice work on the interior!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 05:19:29 AM »
Nice job on the details .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
Interesting subject for 72nd. I suppose it's the only kit available and that nothing is produced in injection-moulded plastic? I've never attempted a vacform, so I'll watch your progress. Putting the fuselage halves together appears to be relatively straightforward but I'm particularly interested in how the wings go together...

Offline IanB

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 03:44:17 AM »
I'd love, to Dan, but I have enough on my bench right now so I'd better exercise a little restraint....

Ian

Offline Danh4

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 08:04:47 AM »
I like that interior.  It's very convincing.  Painting will really make this think look awesome.

Nice start so far...and more life breathed into the vac site!!!!!!!!  ;D ;) ;) ;D

Dan^2

Thanks Dan!  I'm really looking forward to getting the interior painted, I'm just about at that point now.  When I get this one done I've got Joystick's Rumpler to build and I see they made a few others I'd like to get so we should be able to add to things here for quite a while.

Interesting subject for 72nd. I suppose it's the only kit available and that nothing is produced in injection-moulded plastic? I've never attempted a vacform, so I'll watch your progress. Putting the fuselage halves together appears to be relatively straightforward but I'm particularly interested in how the wings go together...

I'm sure there's probably a resin kit or two but nothing injected that I'm aware of.  Vacs seem to get under your skin pretty quickly somehow so I'm sure I'd be building this even if Tamiya came out with a kit of it.  I might not be saying that after trying to join the wings though, the lowers are so thin that I doubt I can drill into the ends for wire pins, they might end up being butt-joints to the fuselage.  As for the split upper wing- I refuse to worry about that until I get there.

I'd love, to Dan, but I have enough on my bench right now so I'd better exercise a little restraint....

Ian

I hear ya!  It's good to be busy though.

Thanks also to Terri and RAGIII!

-Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 08:37:07 AM »
I really like what you have done to the interior so far, painting will make all the difference.

Des
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Danh4

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 11:32:13 AM »
I spent an enjoyable couple of hours painting the interior tonight.  I sprayed everything with Tamiya Buff to start with and then tinted, washed and drybrushed with various JoSonja craft acrylic colors.

I've still got to add some belts to the pilot's seat and then I plan to paint the engine so that it can be installed.  After that, I can close up the fuselage!

-Dan