Author Topic: Joystick 1/72 Albatros C.1  (Read 25749 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Joystick 1/72 Albatros C.1
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »
That is one seriously awesome cockpit, Dan, especially for a vac, especially for 1/72 scale.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 11:41:40 AM »
You have done a superb job with the interior painting Dan, really brings everything to life.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 10:04:30 PM »
Super job on the pit Dan ! Very nice wood tones  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 12:57:50 PM »
Super job, Dan!

Now that my Do-17 is done and the Stirling is waiting, I'll finish up the Staaken vac transport...then start on another vac.  Like I told you (I think) probably an AEG!

Dan^2

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
your interior looks great,nice scratch building and paint work. i like vacs,have a bunch in the stash.
i have started a few vacs but have yet to complete one. i like the albatros c.i its a pretty 2 seater. looks cooler than the c.iii to me due to the pointy tailplane as opposed to the c.iii has that rounded heart shaped thing. there are no 1/48 kits for this plane so i think i wil either get a 1/72 or convert an old eduard c.iii.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »
That is one seriously awesome cockpit, Dan, especially for a vac, especially for 1/72 scale.
Cheers,
Bud

I agree with my Amigo! truly AWESOME interior!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Danh4

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 12:34:19 AM »
Super job, Dan!

Now that my Do-17 is done and the Stirling is waiting, I'll finish up the Staaken vac transport...then start on another vac.  Like I told you (I think) probably an AEG!

Dan^2
Thanks Dan!  Nice choice on the AEG, I've been keeping an eye out for one of those myself.  I've got Joystick's Rumpler and I see they have a few other 2 seaters that I'd like to get.  This is getting addicting!

-Dan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 12:41:05 AM »
Thank you all for the nice comments!  I'm pretty happy with it so far.  Started working on the engine last night, added what I think is a header tank that sits above the cylinders and am starting to figure out how I'm going to make the exhaust.

I'm curious about the best way to attach the lower wings, they are so thin that I know it will be difficult to drill into them for any substantial size wire pins.  Is it the usual practice to just butt-join them to the fuselage sides?

-Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 07:08:19 AM »
I have made 8 scratch builds Dan and some of them have extremely thin wings, but I always manage to get two pins into each wing, some are only 0.5mm but for these I use drill bits, straight and strong and long enough to give substantial strength, any pin is better than no pin. Looking forward to seeing how you manage to mount the wings.

Des.

Offline Danh4

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 10:32:08 AM »
I have made 8 scratch builds Dan and some of them have extremely thin wings, but I always manage to get two pins into each wing, some are only 0.5mm but for these I use drill bits, straight and strong and long enough to give substantial strength, any pin is better than no pin. Looking forward to seeing how you manage to mount the wings.

Des.

Thanks for that Des, I know I'll feel better about having two pins in each wing, just like you said.  If I read your post correctly, you use old drill bits for pins when they're that small?  That's a great idea and I keep all my broken bits for when I need something stiffer than brass, this will be a good use for them.

-Dan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 10:50:11 AM »
Last night I worked on making the tubular apparatus that sits above the engine's cylinders, I assume it's a header tank of some sort for the cooling system?  I still need to add a few little details to that. 

Tonight I tackled the exhaust which got off to a rough start when I tried to find photos showing the same type that is shown on the drawings included with the kit, as well as other drawings I've found on the 'Net.  I couldn't find any period photos showing that style of exhaust!  I know  two different models of the Mercedes engine were fitted and it looks like a variety of exhaust were used so I decided to follow the drawings and get on with it.

The exhaust is made from a couple chunks of sprue that was stretched, whittled or carved to shape.  I used Albion Alloys brass tube for the pipes but I've left them overlong and will trim them after the cabane struts are in place because I think there's going to be some interference there and I want to make sure I have enough length on the pipes, they can always be shortened.  I like using brass tube for stuff like that because I can glue lengths of wire into them that will mate up with holes in the cylinder heads when the time comes.

Thanks for looking!

-Dan

Offline IanB

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »
Very nice work on those engine and exhaust details, this is getting interesting.....

Ian

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »
Great work on the engine, Dan.  Nice scratching.  :D

As far as the bottom wing is concerned, I have had some success just butt joining if things are thin and light enough and my rigging functional but a couple of pins is probably better.  I always have trouble getting things lined up properly so I also do something else...

I make the lower wings one piece and cut the shape out of the lower fuselage and attach it that way.  There is some filling, but it's strong and no worries about lining up pins.

Just an alternative.  Looking forward to more progress on this one!

Dan (P.S. I've got that "Aces High March" stuck in my head thanks to Larry over on HS! It could go equally well with your build  ;))

Offline Danh4

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 08:26:55 AM »
Great work on the engine, Dan.  Nice scratching.  :D

As far as the bottom wing is concerned, I have had some success just butt joining if things are thin and light enough and my rigging functional but a couple of pins is probably better.  I always have trouble getting things lined up properly so I also do something else...

I make the lower wings one piece and cut the shape out of the lower fuselage and attach it that way.  There is some filling, but it's strong and no worries about lining up pins.

Just an alternative.  Looking forward to more progress on this one!

Dan (P.S. I've got that "Aces High March" stuck in my head thanks to Larry over on HS! It could go equally well with your build  ;))

Hi Dan,

If Josytick had molded the lower wings with a "carry through" connecting them, I definitely would have cut into the fuselage to keep them in one piece.  But,  they molded them as two separate wings so I'll be drilling and pinning veeeerrrry carefully.

That "Aces High March" and your Do-17 have put me in the mood to watch "Battle of Britain" yet again.   Not a bad way to spend a snowy evening I guess, it will probably have me fondling my own Do-17 and Blenheim kits though!

-Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 08:32:30 AM »
Great work on the engine and the exhaust Dan.

The broken or worn out small drill bits have a myriad of uses, even though only small they are really strong.

Des.