Author Topic: Rhinebeck NY Aerodrome  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Ken

Rhinebeck NY Aerodrome
« on: June 24, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
A visit to Rhinebeck is well worth the trip.   You can take a ride in the Pitcarin mail plane.  My son and I and a friend who took most of these photos. 

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Rhinebeck NY Aerodrome
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
Ken, Now that is impressive! Beautiful setting, better aircraft, and thank you for sharing the experience and the photos.
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:39:48 PM »
Nice to see that Rhinebeck is still going strong. I visited it in 1974 and got a souvenir pennant autographed by Cole Palen and Dave King, two of the founders. Still have the pennant, displayed in my modelling cave! Long time ago, but the memory is very clear.  8)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:31:46 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:25:46 AM »
Excellent pics .  :)
The Aerodrome is only about 50 miles up the Hudson from me and I plan on going up there in sept for their annual WW1/vintage  RC aircraft weekened in sept.

FWIW .......
The Jenny is the only airworthy,  all original Hisso powered Jenny in existance. It is beautiful! :)

On a sadder note, the Albie DV.a.......  although a repo, it is exceptional and was a quite dramatic sight in the air.
It was taken out of service about 3 years ago for a rebuild but nothing has been done yet .  It would be a shame  if its fate is to become a permanant  static display exhibit like the fate suffered by their  all original Morane Sauliner A-1  that used to fly at the Aerodrome .  :(

BTW, I see that  they now have the Marane Sauliner-N repainted/refurbished  and on display outside.  It was converted from another original  incomplete A-1 but it has never flown. It was in very poor cosmetic shape when it was in the "museum" but, it looks great now.  :)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:25:06 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 06:30:16 AM »
  Ken,
Wow wonderful photos my friend,thank you so much for posting these gems for us all to enjoy. What a beautiful sight it must be to see any of these kites airborne.

@ Joe,
Many thanks for the information you've shared. I' quite happy to hear there's still an all original Hisso powered Jenny airworthy. I'd really love to take some detail photos of that rare bird.

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GHE

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 06:18:40 AM »
Thank you very much for those beautiful photos!

Gunther
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 11:57:29 AM »
Joe, you must live very close to where I used to live in NY - Fishkill. I visited Old Rhinebeck only once, on a non-flying day as my days off unfortunately didn't coincide with flying days. I hope to get back there sometime to see these machines in flight.

Ian

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 10:11:43 AM »
Joe, you must live very close to where I used to live in NY - Fishkill. I visited Old Rhinebeck only once, on a non-flying day as my days off unfortunately didn't coincide with flying days. I hope to get back there sometime to see these machines in flight.

Ian

Actually, I live  in Middletown. :)

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 07:56:59 AM »
The Aerodrome has a great, completely  new,  much  expanded  web site in a new layout .....  plenty  of new pics of aircraft and engines plus  videos  ........ well worth checking  out.
Be sure to view the Colel Palen video.

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/ 

Also, the DVa is now in being restored

I  got to get up there again  soon. :) 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:28:59 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »
I had the pleasure of visiting Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in New York's Hudson River Valley last weekend, 45 years after my parents took me there in 1968.  What a great weekend!  Rhinebeck still has all of the mystique and charm that it has always had, even though Cole Palen and his original band are mostly gone.  The aircraft roster has changed a bit, but is in some ways even more interesting than n 1968.  The airshow is entertaining, informative and inspiring, and the ability to observe the planes up close in a natural setting is really quite unique and remarkable.  I took about 170 photos, which I will post under individual aircraft headings over the next couple of weeks.  I have good detail shots of the Bleriot XI and 1910 Hanriot Monoplane and Caudron G3, and shots of the Jenny, DeHaviland Tiger Moths, and others.

It was wonderful to hear the old engines unique roar and to see the Bleriot and Caudron make short hops off the runway.  The Fokker D.VII demonstration was particularly impressive.  It was amazing to see how the D.VII could almost hover in a nose up attitude, in a position and slow speed where most aircraft of that era would stall and go into a spin.  Its abilty to turn tightly was also pretty neat to see.   I also enjoyed the 'tween wars Tiger Moths. 

Another highlght was my first open cockpit ride, in a very slick New Standard D25, a 1928 barnstorming biplane.  What a beauty!

Here are some random shots:

It is nice to see this history being kept alive in a real and kinetic way, and even nicer knowing that some dedicated folks have been preserving this heritage for 50 years now.  If you have the chance, get to Rhinebeck. ;D  It really got my modeling juices flowing, too! ;) 

Cheers,

Bob

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 01:10:09 PM »
I gotta get there. Thanks for sharing.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 04:35:22 AM »
Thanks Bob for sharing your photo's from Rheinbeck.  The Fokker and SPAD look small in the photo's.  Are they 3/4 replicas or full size?

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 06:03:24 AM »
Hi Mark!  These aircraft appeared to be full-sized at the airshow, and I checked the specifications given on the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome website, and they match those I found for the original aircraft, so I guess they are full size reproductions.  I suppose we just have to remember that these fighters just weren't very big compared to later counterparts.  :D  You should check out the Rhinebeck website.  Look at the "Aircraft" collection tab and read more about the Fokker D.VII.  There's a pretty cool auto slide show that shows the original Mercedes DIIIa engine progressing through Cole Palen's build of the aircraft based on original plans and materials.  You'll particularly like the last shots, showing the current Seven Swabians paint scheme!  ;D

The airshow demonstration of the D.VII was very impressive, and I learned something new.  The D.VII could "hang" in a nose up attitude at relatively low speed without stalling!  Pretty neat to see.  It also had a riduculously tight turning radius, which is also impressive to see before you in the sky overhead.  I came away from the airshow with a new appreciation of the D.VII.  :D 

Regards,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 08:23:14 AM »
Thanks Bob for posting these wonderful photos of the wonderful aircraft, what a great collection of old planes.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »
Well, time to let the Mrs. know the bucket list has been adjusted.  Wow!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...