Author Topic: Encore/Roden Fokker Dr.I 1/32  (Read 3388 times)

Offline petrov27

Encore/Roden Fokker Dr.I 1/32
« on: March 01, 2015, 04:11:21 AM »
Actually well underway with the interior on this one but here are the box shots. I will be doing a Dr.I not the F.I; probably in the markings of MvRs final triplane. I know that is somewhat cliche but I thought about it and realized I had never built a mount of MvR (other than maybe as a child) so what the heck. Was hoping to do this as a "quick build" prior to the group build subject but not sure that is possible :)

Probably well known, but the Encore is the Roden kit with additional resin details, a figure of Voss and etched parts (pretty much the Eduard set that was released for the Roden some years ago. Not sure how much of the resin or etch I will use but we will see!

-Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Encore/Roden Fokker Dr.I 1/32
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you start this build Petrov.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:15:26 AM »
We all have to do the red triplane someday!  Good choice Petrov. :D

Regards,

Bob

Offline petrov27

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:18:57 AM »
Thanks guys - also have the Cutting Edge MvR decals, AVIATTIC cowling and will probably use Gaspatch guns on it
-Patrick

WarrenD

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 07:59:09 AM »
Looking forward to see what you do with this Petrov. Who cares if it's cliche', in the words of Monty Python: "It's only a model". :)  I'd love to build a 1/32nd Tripe one day. If I get a hold of one of those decal sets, I just might.

Warren

Offline zavod44

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:13:02 AM »
Is the resin replacement cowling that comes in the kit, no good? 

Offline petrov27

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 11:56:17 AM »
The Encore resin cowl is not bad - the rivet detail is very fine to the point where it may be lost under paint but otherwise it is a good improvement over the Roden plastic (which has no detail at all - perfectly smooth)

The Encore part is more designed for the F.I though with the rear lip/flange that was unique to the F.I - you could certainly carve it away easy enough for a Dr.I though.

I feel the AVIATTIC cowl captures the front lip bend better than the Encore and has better rivet detail but it is a close thing.

Encore is the beige resin, Aviattic is darker:
-Patrick

Offline Naimbs

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 06:27:15 PM »
Hi Petrov,

Visibly, a very nice model. I have never seen before.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 06:39:18 PM »
I am looking forward to this one! I have this kit in line to be built soon, hopefully this year! As for the cowlings the Aviattic is certainly better for the "bend" as you say. Are you doing an F1? If so you will need to blend in the PE which has the representation of the drip pan as seen on the bottom of the Encore cowl, or scratch one ... but you probably knew that  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 06:49:54 PM »
This is a kit I have had on my "must buy" list for some time, I will be watching your build very closely.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Derrick

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:23:32 PM »
I would like to get a Fokker F.I someday but not sure whether to go with the Encore or Roden, same with their Pfalz III. From what I have seen there seems to be better aftermarket stuff available, so maybe easier to just go with the Roden kit.

On the Amazon site, the Kagero book still shows it to not to be available . I looked at getting it from the Kagero site but with shipping the book would cost $60 Canadian which is a bit steep when I only paid $20 for the Fokker VII book (the soft cover one).

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 04:27:27 PM »
Derrick

I agree with Justin I've the Encore in the stash and have built Roden's, with the Encore you get corrected parts plus an Engine of better quality from the outset. By the time you've paid for the Rodn & the available aftermarket stuff and a set of decent decals you may find it more expensive and still have to rework the tail etc.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Derrick

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 12:26:25 AM »
Ok, thanks for the info, will keep an eye on Ebay.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 02:13:27 AM »
Question regarding the pilot harness/belts; I am using a HGW set for this:

1. the cross shoulder strap - the instructions have this going above the adjustment buckles, but I believe in another discussion here (maybe one of the Red Baron's builds?) it has been said that the cross strap should be below the buckles? I am finding it difficult to find a picture of the DrI belts showing the cross strap though... From what I recall, most of the etched belts (WNW, Eduard) have the cross strap above the buckles. With that in mind, with the pilot buckled into the seat, would the cross strap go across the pilot's chest then? Or be behind his shoulders?
2. On the color of the belts, I am thinking they are not the tan that the HGW set has them in; in the very few pics I can find of DrI where a belt is shown, they do not look that light in color. Any thoughts on what color might be accurate? Maybe khaki green would be good?
-Patrick

Offline zavod44

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 04:56:32 AM »
The only thing that's stopped me from building this kit, is getting the streaked cammo down, right.  I haven't seen anything I am thrilled with, I like the streaked cammo from WNW on their Fokker D VII, but I think the F1 was different?  I need to look into it deeper.....that scheme is very tricky.