Author Topic: Encore/Roden Fokker Dr.I 1/32  (Read 3387 times)

Offline petrov27

Re: Encore/Roden Fokker Dr.I 1/32
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 05:26:52 AM »
Agreed - I have never been happy with my attempts at streaking camo - I will probably do 425/17 in all red for this "quick" build :)

Maybe we will see another decal manufacturer come out with Fokker streaking decals in 1/32? :)
-Patrick

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 05:27:27 AM »
Looking forward to see you progress on this one Petrov. Good luck!

Kind regards
Patrick

WarrenD

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »
2. On the color of the belts, I am thinking they are not the tan that the HGW set has them in; in the very few pics I can find of DrI where a belt is shown, they do not look that light in color. Any thoughts on what color might be accurate? Maybe khaki green would be good?

Good observation, I've noticed this too. However, I wonder if we might be seeing a "darkening" from the use of orthochromatic film?  Yellow tend to go towards black, then it would seem logical to me that a tan/khaki color would perform similarly. Does this make sense?

Just thinking out loud.

Warren

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 04:06:16 PM »
I tend to favour khaki greenish tones for my seat belts mostly but a tan would be equally viable.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline petrov27

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 08:29:27 AM »
first paint is drying on many AEG interior bits so jumped back to this one.

Wheels are modified - using spare WNW DVII fronts slightly modified with HGW etched inspection patches on the backs:

Also have wings cleaned up (lots of flash on these) and assembled

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:09:48 AM by petrov27 »
-Patrick

Offline petrov27

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 08:37:02 AM »
Resin thoughts:

Encore supplies a new multi part engine. From what I see, the cylinders detail is very similar to the Roden and not much advantage

The crankcase is different, smaller in diameter

Resin rudder is slightly different (brown line on resin is where the Roden is different). Neither Roden nor Encore match the Datafile plans exactly

Top front decking is included, with additional gun blast plate details and different fuel gauge fairing shape plus second hole for fuel cap is present (I have drilled the Roden part for this.) The size of the Encore part in my set is slightly smaller than the original Roden part and does not fit as well

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:06:47 AM by petrov27 »
-Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 09:02:08 AM »
Very interesting comparison between the Roden and Encore parts.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 09:29:25 AM »
As Des said, interesting comparison. However, and this is nothing against the DF plans, but ALL plans are suspect in some way because you're trying to take a 3D object, and reduce it to 2D. Also, there are no Dr.I's to truly measure against.

My point?  Had you not drawn that line, no one would have noticed. Your pursuit of realism is very admirable, but in this case, I'd say you're chasing a phantom.

Warren

Offline petrov27

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 09:37:34 AM »
My point?  Had you not drawn that line, no one would have noticed. Your pursuit of realism is very admirable, but in this case, I'd say you're chasing a phantom.

Warren

yes - just was providing an observation on where the resin differed from the original plastic part (the brown line is from placing the plastic over the resin and tracing the difference with the brown pencil :)
-Patrick

WarrenD

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »
Ja! It is interesting the different interpretations each manufacturer had on this kit.

Warren

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 02:31:04 AM »
Nice work on cleaning up the wings. Like you I ended up using the original Roden upper decking and modifying the part as needed. As for the rudder, If I recall correctly,"Most" researchers agreed that the F1 rudder had a different shape and I think that is what the resin part represents. I also used the original Roden engine but might try the resin one on my next build, along with the Aviattic cowling. I am looking forward to your next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler