Author Topic: Gotha GL.VII, 1/72 by Bat Project  (Read 3469 times)

WarrenD

Gotha GL.VII, 1/72 by Bat Project
« on: February 05, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
Hey folks, check this out!  (I've never heard of Bat Project before, you?)
http://hobbyterra.com/product/gotha-gl-vii-w-maybach-engines-in-1-72-scale-bat-project-72003.html

Warren

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Gotha GL.VII, 1/72 by Bat Project
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
I've never heard of 'em, Warren, but that looks like a very cool bus.  Worth picking up, I would think.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
Thanks Warren for the heads-up on this kit, I have never heard of the Bat brand but it is a very interesting subject they have kitted.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »
The wiki entry on this a/c states that it was intended that it might take on a ground attack/support role. I can see a Henschel ground attack a/c in the profile. ;)

I hope they're successful with this, perhaps it will lead them to kit some other types in 1/72nd and 1/48th.

Warren

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 02:12:45 PM »
unless its 1/32 its neglected when it comes to ww1 aircraft

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »
The wiki entry on this a/c states that it was intended that it might take on a ground attack/support role.

Hmmm. The Herris Gotha book says the Idflieg GL designation was for high-altitude (6-7km), high performance bombers. Not necessarliy a contradiction though... ideas of what constituted ground support may have been fuzzier than what we think of now. Or he's wrong. Or Wiki's wrong. I dunno...

Anyway, interesting and cool looking machine.

WarrenD

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
Bo, I consider Wiki to be Satan incarnate. However, it's pretty good for pop culture or just info to strike up a conversation.

In any event, the Wiki entry stated that while designed as a high altitude bomber, bu the time it flew, the bombing program was gone, and ground attack/support was seen as a role.  At least I believe that's what it said. In any event, I can see it.

Warren

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »
Heh. I suppose I should have read the Wiki entry before commenting...

Satan incarnate? That's funny. More like a class of Fifth Graders ("I know! I know!")

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 05:40:47 AM »
I'm going to keep my eye out for this, I hope it's not long off.
I've been wondering if any of the smaller manufacturers would take the bait, ever since Colin Ower's Datafile appeared.
An interesting machine: even though it barely reached operations, there were enough around at the Armistice for them to be picked up by other countries. As well as the German and Ukrainian markings in the kit, you could slap on British roundels; convert it to a G.VIII, and Belgian markings come into play.
Thanks for the spot!

Mark

Offline malaula

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 08:25:40 PM »
Hope it's not gonna take them too long to get it done...still waiting for the Linke- Hoffmann RII and Siemens-Schuckert RI announced by Elf-models YEARS ago. Judging by the sprue-pics this one seems to be nicely done,appears like a reasonable thin fuselage as you can see the inner structure shining through.Not so convinced of the lozenge decals,though.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 09:09:21 PM »
Interesting. And maybe even tempting, something smaller for the time when I finish the huge Felix.
Malaula, the photos show the real sprues (I hope so) so the thing may be quite close.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 01:49:06 AM »
It is already available.
http://hobbyterra.com/product/gotha-gl-vii-w-maybach-engines-in-1-72-scale-bat-project-72003.html
However I think I will skip it. After all, not so interesting for me. And the Felixstowe is too much absorbing me right now.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

WarrenD

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »
As much as I love WWI a/c, I will too. My build rate is at zero right now, and so I'm having to really come to terms with clearing out the stash I have, determining what I will build, etc., and this isn't going to be one of them.
However, I thought some here might find it of interest.

Warren

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »
Bravo to BAT Project for doing a new 1/72 scale WW1 subject. Despite the so-called resurgence in WW1 due to Wingnut Wings, the reality is the range of WW1 kits- and scales- has suffered since WNW arrived on the scene. Their high quality has seen countless WW1 modellers change from 1/72 and 1/48th scale to 1/32 and of course attracted many non-WW1 modellers. Great for large scale WW1 modellers.

But all this has been at the expense of the smaller scale guys some of whom date back to the 50s with established WW1 collections in 1/72 and 1/48th scale. Sadly most kit makers have not only abandoned WW1 they have also walked away from smaller scales. This is very sad.

Not everyone wants to buy Wingnut Wings kits or 1/32 models, no matter how good they are. Space/ price issues come into play and I suspect quite a few people have established collections in 1/72 and 1/48th and would like to stay in those scales.

Bat Project is to be encouraged for giving the 72 scale guys some new products. Let's hope they sell well and produce many more WW1 kits.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Austraslia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 11:20:40 AM »
Dave,
        Well said sir, and I agree with your post 100%.

Warren