Author Topic: Hannover CL.II 9338/17  (Read 4369 times)

Offline jknaus

Hannover CL.II 9338/17
« on: January 26, 2015, 01:46:55 PM »
So starting a Hannover CL.II 9338/17, Schlasta 24b, Sgt Zitzelsberger & Vzfw. Müller, Erchin, March 1918. Hopefully this will be it.

After more info from Rowan I will use the blue 2 because this is a Bavarian unit as far as I know and so the blue 2 will match the Bavarian blue band on the fuselage. Having a heck of a time finding more info though.

Okay a little work done. Engine block together and piston cylinders together. They don't tell you about the optional half cylinder bank without rods. Now I know I will do this more often. Added .05mm rods. As the cylinders are not attached to the block yet I have the opportunity to clean up the rods and paint the block and cylinders separately. I have measured out some .o5mm rod and marked off the ignition outlets. Then glued them to a cloths pin. Tomorrow at lunch I hope to get time to drill out the marks. I did dimple them with a great tool by trimaster. Its a scribe but very pointy. I will also add ignition leads and drill out the alternator lugs . Then its a simple job to debond the ignition tubes and clean before installing on the cylinders. I also started making some switches. I'll clean them up and cut to size and replace the molded on switches in the cockpit. Most of my day today has been researching.

James

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Hannover CL.II 9338/17
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
Great to see another of these brilliant kits being built, looking forward to seeing you make progress with this build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »
thumbs up james

Offline Matt Parvis

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:50:52 PM »
I'll certainly be following along.  I've not got this kit yet, but, it is definitely on my list to pick up. 

Matt
We won't bring the muskets, we won't cause the pain,
But we're good for some headaches, and tough to clean stains.

Offline gcn

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:06:59 PM »
It is good to see these being built but they are pain in the backside.

Do you intend painting the underlying lozenge. I'm doing it on my build and it's time consuming and repetitive, what with also applying Aviattic loz on the wings with all the rib tapes separately applied there's a lot of work before you see any reward.

but they do look good when complete.

Just for information I too used brass tube for the harness (as I screwed up drilling the kit part) but I used .8mm, maybe that extra .3mm will make it slightly easier to drill. I like your idea of gluing to a peg, I guess it will just burn off when you are done. I stuck mine in a pin vise that worked but they weren't as in line as your efforts.

You will find the engine looks much better with the rods you've installed and the preinstalled spark plugs and valve springs are well moulded on this engine too.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:49:52 PM »
Very nice start on the engine! I am looking forward to your build.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jknaus

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 12:56:26 AM »
Thanks guys. GCN, Bo taught me the trick of glueing the tubing to work on. Works great. I got out some Taurus spark plugs but the ones on the kit looked good enough so I kept them. Wondered about doing the springs but I think I will be happy just to build this and maybe even get it finished. Thanks for the heads up, I havent decided on lozenges and the cam looks like it caovers all. Will know bettter when I get the decals and see. Aviattic decals are a must for me and an order will be going in shortly.
James

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 02:19:36 AM »
Great start James, and I really like the colour scheme you've chosen. I have this Kit "in the wings" so I'll be following your progress.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline radio

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:10:31 PM »
Very good start James.
Martin

Offline jknaus

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 02:14:35 AM »
Hope to have some pics up tonight. Have started painting the engine. Almost got tempted to put this away for a couple of months, but nope am going to stay the course.
James

Offline jknaus

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »
Well took me a couple of days but got this far. Forgot to take a pic with some paint on though. So later this week when it looks like I have done something I'll do another update.

James

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 03:28:58 PM »
Hello gentlemen,
Good beginning.
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 06:03:47 PM »
Great start on the Hannover, James.  I have been wondering
what kind of drill bit you used to drill out the holes in the .5mm
tube?  I am following your build with interest as the CL.II is
well up on my want list. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline jknaus

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 01:48:02 AM »
Thanks guys. Ernie I use the Carbide Drill Bits. My first ones I got from ebay, but since coming here I have bought a bunch from Drill Bit City after reading this thread by Des. http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3303.0
James

Offline radio

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 06:23:32 AM »
Very good start James.
Martin