Author Topic: !/48 Eduard Fokker D-VII. Fokker, OAW and Albatros differences  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Brian James Riedel

!/48 Eduard Fokker D-VII. Fokker, OAW and Albatros differences
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
Howdy,

I've started to build my first of many Eduard Fokker D-VII's ( a Fokker built late) and have a couple questions.

1. Part C 16 (hood for fuel gauge), is this used on all types or, as shown in the Datafiles, only for the Albatros built?

2. Also indicated in the Datafile plans is a hatch or something underneath the fuselage between the landing gear on the Fokker and OAW builds, but not the Albatros.  What is this thing called exactly and why didn't Eduard include it in the kit?

Thanks for looking,

Brian Riedel

Offline radio

Re: !/48 Eduard Fokker D-VII. Fokker, OAW and Albatros differences
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:16:16 AM »
Hello Brian
it gives three different kits and so you become the different fuselages.
Martin

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »
its there on the eduard kit as a rectangular raised area, half on one fuselage half and half on the other. its some sort of access hatch i assume. the royal class gives it to you as a photoetch part as its almost impossible to not sand this off when you clean up the seams. the roden d.vii is superior on this detail as it represents it better and the part is the bottom chin panel which the seams fall of the corners.

Offline Brian James Riedel

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 01:21:52 AM »
Was this something they added to the molds at a later date?  I have the OAW, Fokker and Albatros boxings and it doesn't appear on any fuselage or metal frets.

I'm not woried about it, as I have made my own out of sheet plastic for one kit and have ordered a couple of Weekend Zooms which does have it.  Need the Zooms for the Roden kits, as they forgot to include a throttle lever!

Brian Riedel

Offline davecww1

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:15:59 AM »
Hi Brian, I just looked at my boxing of the OAW built one and it is not there... they should have made a photoetched panel I believe.  Well do like I did on my DML kit in the group build, cut two rectangles from .010 sheet styrene to the size of the drawings (inner and outer shape) and curve the corner with a sanding stick, center the smaller one inside the larger one and glue the larger one into position on the lower fuselage.

Dave C

Offline radio

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 03:26:49 AM »
The next will be the etch parts from Berman. They are the best for make a good model.
Martin

Offline davecww1

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:08:34 AM »
Yes in my photo you can see I did not sand the larger piece enough to make a uniform lip around the edge, a nice photoetched part would be better but this was a quick cost effective alternative.  And under a coat of yellow paint and some black diamond decals with setting solution it blended everything in to make it look like it was supposed to.
Dave

Offline John W

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 09:38:45 AM »
Brian,

The hatch is necessary to provide clearance for the oil pump on the bottom at the rear of the engine sump.
re the fuel gauge, all war time D VIIs use the same basic gauge system, direct reading from the top of the tank. All D VIIs that I have seen have variations of this fairing.

Regards
John