Author Topic: WnW Roland C.IIa Late - Otto Burgermeister  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Mark

WnW Roland C.IIa Late - Otto Burgermeister
« on: January 06, 2015, 12:49:09 PM »

And so it begins again . . .  :)

After much deliberation and perusing of my stash (all nine kits worth) I've decided to actually begin WnW's Roland C.IIa Late. Why? Well, it's a streamlined whale, it's a two-seater, it has a bomb rack and bombs (!), and, who could pass up a bip flown by Herr Burgermeister??? All kinds of catchy titles for vignettes come to mind.

Those of you who followed my Fokker D.VII F build know that I'm anything but a speedy builder. However, taking the lessons learned from that build I don't see this one taking that long.

I've decided to paint as many of the parts as possible while they're still on the sprues and to that end I washed enough parts today to have a good start on the interior and engine. With any luck, paint will start flying tomorrow!

As usual, any comments are welcomed!

Mark G.

Said parts drying:

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
Re: WnW Roland C.IIa Late - Otto Burgermeister
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 12:56:55 PM »
Good choice. I'm into my C.II early kit. It will be fun and instructive to compare build notes.

One difference I've noted is that I gave up washing the plastic. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Looking forward to seeing more posts..
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Mark

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »
eindecker, just looked at the photos of your C.II--wow--great job on the cockpit, especially brush-painted! I like the colors, too. Not sure if it's the difference between the Early and Late models, but my instructions call for a light grey for most of the ribs, flooring, etc. with the rest being a darker grey (where you have the green-grey). Must say, I like the green-grey much better!

When painting my D.VII I experienced paint beading on some of the surfaces, so I thought that pre-washing the parts might mitigate some of that. Guess I'll see!

Thanks for the comments!

Mark G

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »
Looking forward to following along with your build Mark, I have the kit in my stash so I will be taking notes.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »

Hello to all,
I follow this adventure.  ;)
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:15:01 PM »
Good choice of subject (apart from the catchy titles with Herr Bürgermeister). I will be watching closely, and stealing ideas for my own build.

Stefan

Offline Royston

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »
I have a 1/48th version, so will be watching this closely.
Main issue I have with mine is the colour of the interior, instructions say wood effect but i'm not sure if they were painted grey.

Roy

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 12:54:11 AM »

One difference I've noted is that I gave up washing the plastic. Didn't seem to make any difference

I have always done the wash thing and forgot on my present Build  >:(, have had some paint lifting when removing masking tape which is a first. My theory is it's caused by some sort of residue and I should have washed the sprues? It seems an easy step and little added time.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 03:45:39 AM »
I would say it's been about ten years since I stopped washing all of the parts out of the box. I have occasionally had bits of paint life under masking tape too, but I attribute that to all of the handling those parts undergo during construction. I will sometimes clean off the model with Plastic Prep before painting, but not always.

On balance, I'd say it is not a bad idea to wash parts out of the box, but also, one should clean all surfaces immediately prior to painting. I guess my question would be, if I'm going to keep to cleaning before painting, why would I want to clean before construction? No big deal, just curious. And, I'm reminding myself to be more rigorous in my clean-before-paint process.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »
Washing the Mold release off is an accepted process that I have happily skipped forever  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline drdave

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 09:31:12 PM »
I've never done it either. I dont prime either, just spray a light coat of acrylic to start, then build it up.

I do sometimes wipe a model with isopropyl after building if it looks greasy fingered!

Offline Royston

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:27 PM »
The Datafile has a good photo of the interior that shows an even mid tone over most surfaces - painted.

Ok that's great, cheers

Roy

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 02:49:56 AM »
Really looking forward to this one, Mark.  I love that 3 color scheme.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Mark

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 05:15:27 AM »
Way past time for an update. I've painted and assembled the interior at this point. Here are some shots of the interior before the ribbing was added. I still need to clean up some of the painting miscues and add shading to some of the parts, especially the seatbelts. All will be done before I post the next shots which should be soon  :)

Mark G

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 07:00:12 AM »
Very nice, Mark!  Brilliant cockpit work.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence