Author Topic: Show us your ... Brandenburg W 12  (Read 9169 times)

Offline Der Phönix

Re: Show us your ... Brandenburg W 12
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 12:59:11 AM »
I couldn't have said it better myself, George.

Bertl, your friend is to be congratulated.

DP

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 02:06:08 AM »
Bud,
Your W12 is certainly a beauty! Another of your masterpieces in all aspects!
RAGIII

Bertl
Thanks for sharing this beautiful Prototype W12!
RAGIII
Thanks, Amigo!  Your support is always appreciated.

Bertl, thank you so much for posting our dear friend's remarkable W.12 Prototype.  Yes, the base is spectacular.  After all, he is a master woodworker.  But the work he did on the cowling and the other conversion bits are truly amazing.  So glad to see the final product.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 03:53:05 PM »
Yes, Michael's W.12 prototype is a real beauty. The woodwork is especially impressive.

S.

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 07:46:56 AM »
There have been quite a few W.12's built since this thread was started, so I think it's time for a reboot.  I just got back to work on my WNW W.12, but in the meantime, I'll kick things off with my rendition of the Copper State W.12.  This is the newer release with reworked masters and high quality resin.  Very nice kit, highly recommended.

So, let's get those W.12's back out and post 'em here, folks!
Cheers,
Bud

Bud
I have a question about the cockpit area; did you see need to drill out the bottom of the floor and replace with styrene?  and how about the cockpit walls did you thin these and if so what technique did you used?

Charlie
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 08:19:32 AM »
Hi, Charlie.  I tried to locate the build log for this model, but it seems to have been removed and I have no idea as to why.  Here are a few of the photos of the process.  Lots of drilling, cutting, grinding, filing and so on.

I hope these help.  It's really a great kit and loads of fun, in spite of all the work, or maybe because of it.   ;)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 09:33:18 AM »
She's a beauty, Steve!  You've done a remarkable job on her.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »
Bud
Thanks for posting the inprogress build; you'll find me at the drill press tomorrow with the W.12 fuselage.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 12:44:32 PM »
Bud
Thanks for posting the inprogress build; you'll find me at the drill press tomorrow with the W.12 fuselage.
Go slow and keep the holes small, Charlie, otherwise the resin could split or shatter.  If you have one of the later releases, you should have no problem, but if you have one that Eric cast, be very careful.
Bonne chance!
Cheers,
Bud

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 11:32:20 PM »
Bud
Where did you find the pattern for the interior wood bracing?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 11:32:49 PM »
Charlie and Steve,
Outstanding W12s by both of you! Thanks for adding and starting the thread again!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 01:14:08 AM »

Go slow and keep the holes small, Charlie, otherwise the resin could split or shatter.  I
Cheers,
Bud

I bought the W.12 from France for $30 plus shipping so not a lot invested in it.  It must be an earlier release as the resin does split.  Don't ask how I know but the damage is easily repairable.    ;)

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 03:39:28 AM »
Steve and Bud
Thanks for the tips and construction photos.  I drilled out the large areas with a small drill bit and then switched over to a Dremel wood rasp and managed to carve out all the areas where I could switch to a hand file so have the cockpit completed at this stage.  Productive morning.....

Charlie 

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 03:57:45 AM »
Bud
Where did you find the pattern for the interior wood bracing?
I used my WNW W.12 as a pattern, but if you don't have that, just go to the WNW website and click on instructions.  Dimensions won't be perfect, but close enough.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 04:42:24 AM »
Bud
Thanks for the reminder (about the W.12 construction book) just borrowed the screen shots of the cockpit framing. 

Charlie

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 05:24:01 AM »
Have you started a build log on this one yet, Charlie?  I'd like to see it.
Cheers,
Bud