Author Topic: 1/48 Eduard: Morane Saulnier type L Jean Navarre april of 1915  (Read 32249 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: 1/48 Eduard: Morane Saulnier type L Jean Navarre april of 1915
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2014, 01:05:22 AM »
Very nice job on the pit , will follow along as you make progress .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline xan

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2014, 08:10:03 AM »
The cutting of the wood fuselage is quite strange and complicated.

you were absolutly right Philippe , so I simplified it:

I had no information about what the upper fuselage looks like..

Just that pic:

there is a big wood piece beside the observer. First I thought it was for the machine gun , and mine had not any machine gun
I had a loook for other Morane Saulnier planes, (aircraft manufacturers often repeat the same system fronm a plane to the other)
the type H in the musée de l'arméee in Paris and the "echarpe blanche" team's replica have this wooden part too.

http://ms-h-garros.blogspot.com.es/2013/06/une-visite-au-musee-de-lair-et-de.html

http://www.lecharpeblanche.fr/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Morane-Type-H-F-AZMS-0058.jpg

The type H is quite close to type L , so I decide to represent it...

in the front, i add a piece of plastic card too (I love to do my models in 3D  ;))

well, fuselage have a better look than some days ago, it surely means that we are on the right way  ;)

Xan
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:14:51 AM by xan »
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline xan

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »
Hello the fuselage is nearly prepared.
I had a lock at the wing.

1) the ringging

Of course in this case of plane it's a central question wich require all the care...

Two years ago I did a morane saulnier type N

Of course it was a Jean navarre 's plane the next I got after the one I'm doing know

I took the kit in Lyon for a model show. There I met Philippe (Sodium) who was just starting his bullet project...
He told me my mount was not bad but it had a defect the way I represent the ringging:

I knew he was wright
the eyelets are double and not single has I represented them...

Same thing in this type H replic:

here is what it looks like in th type N:

I had to answer that I knew that, but I didn't knew how to represent it.... :-[
Seriosly we spent a very good week-end speaking two days about WWI planes!

Well, the problem was that the type L has the same type of ringging , and this years I will return to Lyon...
My modeler honor was engaged...
I was trying to find I way to represent it but I didn't find anything , just because I was traying to fand a way to represent the ring in twa parts : the boucle in the wing and the ring .
At least II fond a way , and it was quite simple: the same wire will represent all, I used a swab stretched.
Quite logical but it took me a lot of time to find it!
a lot of time to do it so! I will have to do it 24 times! But I find a way and its OK  :)

[/URL]

2) the ribs

in the Musée de l'air's  type G, wing seems to  have wodden rods to reforce and protect the sewing in the ribs:

http://www.mincbergr.net/index.php?page=morane-saulnier-h

the same kind of rods seems to appear in the type N

and in the type L too (there is not a lot of pics who shows type L's upside of the wings)

http://pages14-18.mesdiscussions.net/pages1418/aviation-1914-1918/garros-versus-gilbert-sujet_2352_1.htm

it seems there is a light fabric strip upside the wooden rod isn't it

Sir Sodium, du you confirm the presence of those wooden rods? just upside or in the both sides ?

in the "musée de l'air" they painted them in black. I'm thinking about to do the same thing.
Does it make sense in your point of you? (I know I carefull you are with paints interpretations)

those question are either for anybody wha have any idea about this question of course  ;)

Xan

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:27:34 PM by xan »
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »
Xan,
I think your solution to the turnbuckles is perfect, especially for the scale! Your wood panel around the cockpit will look terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline radio

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »
Very great work Xan.
Martin

Offline sodium

• SPA48 chante et combat
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 12:40:32 AM »
Hello xan
Very quick and good work. I prefer the new cockpit area.
I have no specific informations about type L. Probably an H family ressemblance.
For the upper side of fuselage, a panel for a luggage compartment I suppose and a fuel tank would be good. You can notice there’s a pump if there’s a tank.
For ringing, I suppose it’s only an "épissure" splice ? . Your model looks good. To represent “attache des haubans” the pressure is now on me  ;)
You will find joncs on the both side in natural brown varnish or black paint if you prefer.
amicalement
philippe

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 07:23:40 AM »
In Josef Scott's Eindecker Compendia he discusses the use of split bamboo rods to cover the rib tapes. Maybe the same?
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline xan

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »
it's no so strange:
wikipedia:
The Eindecker was based on Fokker's unarmed Fokker M.5K scout (military designation Fokker A.III) itself following very closely the design of the French Morane-Saulnier H shoulder-wing monoplane, but using chrome-molybdenum steel tubing for the basic fuselage structure instead of wooden components.

Xan
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline xan

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »
Hello,
it doesn't mean a thing but a I spend many days trying to make disappeared the line between the two half fuselage. when surfacer dried, it appears agian.
Well at last i won:

Anyway I found a beautyfull Guynemer pic in "gallica " website who show a lot of things. I think I'm gone completed my pilot place...

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b69455912/f1.zoom.r=Morane%20Saulnier.langFR

Xan
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:35:18 AM by xan »
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline xan

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 10:10:59 AM »
Happy new year to everybody!

the luggage compartment door behind the observer is in its place.
I add in the interior the document holders in black as an oil level nivel that no one will see (to deep , too small... :()

and the landing gear are in place.
Here's what they look like:

the  "Musée de l'air" type H's landing gears:

http://www.mincbergr.net/uploads/images/museums/musee-de-lair-de-bourget/morane-saulnier-h-06.jpg

the result:

Xan

Barbusse.
Remarque.

WarrenD

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »
Xan, this is a really great build. I have a soft spot for French a/c & pilots of the Great War.

Warren

Online RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2015, 11:20:26 AM »
Your fuselage has turned out to be awesome to say the least! I also admire the rebuild of the gear! Just outstanding work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
Hello to all,
What a work !!! Excellent !
Friendly.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.

Offline radio

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2015, 03:08:07 AM »
Xan it is a absolut gret work of very difficult early  Eduard kit.
Martin

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2015, 03:11:55 AM »
Outstanding work on a challenging kit, Xan!  She'll be a real beauty when finished.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence