Author Topic: Port Victoria P.V.8 (Eastchurch kitten)  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Port Victoria P.V.8 (Eastchurch kitten)
« on: November 29, 2014, 03:03:41 AM »
As if I haven't enough on with building a Zeppelin Staaken, I am going to have a go at scratch-building!  :o

I've never scratched an aeroplane before so I'm going for something small and simple; something that you can't buy a kit of too (as far as I'm aware).

Behold! The Eastchurch kitten...
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/resources/images/2895258/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Victoria_P.V.8

It would be useful to have a drawing with the dimensions on, or one scaled to 1:72 but I suppose I can try and work it out from the dimensions given in the Wiki page.

Now I've just got to work out how to build it...

Offline lone modeller

Re: Port Victoria P.V.8 (Eastchurch kitten)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 03:26:26 AM »
Really looking forward to seeing this one being built.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 04:20:28 AM »
Well Done Squiffy
I will look forward to this one, especially since it has the ABC Gnat engine and a 'possible future build' of mine has that engine. I am guessing this is a very small plane (especially compared to the Staaken)
Cheers, Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 06:20:59 AM »
I've made a start. It's all a bit experimental, so let's see if this works...

I wanted to have a go at making a wing first as this, to me, seems like it could be the most difficult thing to get right.

Having scaled the drawing to very approximately 1:72 I took the sheet of 80 thou. plasticard that I used for making the airfield office on my diorama...

...and then made cuts in it...

I then took a sheet of 10 thou. plasticard and cut a sliver off it. The sliver was cut into lengths and fixed on using M.E.K. solvent to represent the ribs.

The ribs were trimmed and the leading and trailing edges of the wing sanded down. The corners were also sanded.

And then a coat of paint applied, just so I can see how it looks.

The ribs look rather prominent but no more than on some old Airfix kits. I may have another go but if I do I will have to buy some strip, instead of cutting a sliver of 10 thou. plasticard as one length isn't enough to do one wing and cutting a second sliver to the same exact width is almost impossible.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 07:21:29 AM »
Great!
It is a nice little kit.
Also revell triplane wings were adapt to reproduce that thiny wings.
All the best
Er me

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 07:25:28 AM »
The ribs look quite realistic to me :)

How wide are the ribs?  Our friend Bob of the Buckles variety makes masking strips with thin tape down to 0.5mm wide, could work too?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 07:34:10 AM »
Great choice for a scratch build Squiffy but in 1:72 scale it will be very small, in reality it was a tiny aircraft but quite attractive. I have used Bob's "strippers" on several of my scratch builds and they work a treat, at present I am applying the 0.75mm strips to the wings of my Curtiss Hydro.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline radio

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »
Very well beginning.
Martin

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 10:27:12 AM »
Hey spiffy great start. I am in deep of my first scratch build too. You will do great. So far I am happy with my 1/72 LVG C.VI scratch. I wish I could post my picks but my galaxy 4 phone won't let me.
You will learn a lot doing a scratchbuild. I know I have! I admire all your projects an look forward to this one!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »
Great start Squiffy. I find the ribs on wings the most difficult part of a scratch-build and I agree about using tape as it is consistent, but it has its own problems too. If you want to use plastic strip try Evergreen strip - that is consistent even though it is too big - lots of rubbing down required.

I shall be watching this with great interest - scratch building has become the way forward for me.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 01:40:28 AM »
Nice start Squiffy! The wing is looking excellent!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 07:36:24 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, chaps.

I've made the lower wing now but with a scrap piece of micro strip. It was thicker than the plasticard so has taken more sanding but at least the thickness of the ribs is consistent.

I've also made a start on the fuselage.

I started by cutting the paper outline from the drawing and sticking it to 80 thou. plasticard with white glue, which simply peels off later.

The underside and side.

Top. The front only goes as far as just aft of the engine as the shape changes at that point and I thought it better to make that seperately.

The white plastic bar is to give it some strength and to provide a base for the rudder etc. and cabane struts. The top rear will be skinned with 10 thou. plasticard and the front and cockpit opening... well, I have to give that some thought.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 03:41:06 AM »
That is coming on very well and quickly too. I try to build the cockpit detail before assembling the fuselage as fitting is easier. However a basic seat, control column and instrument panel would not be difficult to add at this stage - would much be visible anyway?

Offline radio

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 05:23:33 AM »
Very good work.
Martin

Kai

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 05:43:34 AM »
Many, many years ago Scaleplanes did an incredibly basic PV-8 in 1/72 vacfrom.