Author Topic: 1/72nd Fokker D.VII: Roden or MAC?  (Read 1691 times)

WarrenD

1/72nd Fokker D.VII: Roden or MAC?
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:20:01 PM »
I'm years behind in my kit building, but it never hurts to dream ahead, does it?  :-\  If I can distract some folks long enough from slathering at the mouth at the recent WNW announcements,  ;) ;) I have a question I'd like to pose to the learned forumites.
     I got inspired some time back by a modeler on the 72nd Aircraft Forum and would like to do a "batch build"* of several (6-8)1/72nd Fokker D.VII's (most of which will be Albatros-produced a/c) for a special project. I have two choices:

- The Roden kit with the Loon Models correction set (wing & landing gear), or
- the MAC kit

When you add the Loon Models correction set to the Roden kit it the price comes out with a few dollars of the MAC kit, although the latter might be a bit cheaper.
Can y'all recommend one over the other?

Warren

*A modeler known as "InchHigh" (Jeff) over at the 72nd Aircraft Forum has done a number of "batch builds" of various fighters. IMHO, it seems a great, economical way to get some kits off of the shelf of doom and into the display case.
http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=2669&st=0&hl=
http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=5797

Online RAGIII

Re: 1/72nd Fokker D.VII: Roden or MAC?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:27:13 AM »
Warren,
As I am sure you know I am not a 1/72nd builder so my comment will be sort of generic. I personally would go the route that offers the least resistance. IIRC the Mac kit has pretty thick trailing edges? If so and they require sanding and replacing ribs/tapes then it seems the Roden kit/Loon would be easier. If the Mac kit doesn't require that much work then go with that option. This is, like I said, an opinion based on NO BUILDING experience with either kit! Hopefully someone who has built one or the other will chime in.JMHO
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 01:28:07 AM »
I am in the middle of building the MAC kit for the D.VII GB and I wouldn't recommend it.

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3811.0

The engine and Spandaus are terrible, I replaced mine with Roden ones, and the wing trailing edges are way too thick. However the decals look to be excellent - I haven't tried them yet though..... I have no experience with the Roden kit, but all their other kits that I have are far better than this one.

Ian

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:43:27 AM »
Thanks Rick and Ian!  I guess I'll go the Roden/Loon route. I had forgotten about the MAC reputation for thick trailing edges. I shouldn't have as I have a MAC SPAD VII build stalled because I had to sand down the thick trailing edge, dropped the top wing, and the now thin trailing edge shattered.
I'm going to use AM decals anyway, so the kit decals are non-players in this decision.

Thanks for jogging my brain and helping me out!

Warren
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:40:39 AM by WarrenD »

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 04:37:36 AM »
Interesting info here, that's for sure. I'll grab a few Roden D.VII's I guess.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:43:24 AM »
I've just run across the old ESCI Fokker D.VII kit, anyone know what that's like?
Kevin

WarrenD

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:14:03 AM »
I could very well be wrong, but I *think* that the ESCI D.VII is like the old Revell. Now, if you can get the old Rosemont D.VII correction sets for the Revell kit (and they do come up on evil-bay from time to time) you can build a very repsectable a/c from what I've seen.

Warren

PS: Man, do I miss Rosemont. Too bad all of those resin masters, vac, etc. are gone forever.

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:40:43 AM »
Why, what happened to them?
Kevin

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:23:22 AM »
I dunno. For whatever, and I'm sure varied, reasons Barry (the proprietor) decided to pack it up, and sold the shop. The new owners didn't care about his old customer base, and tried to run it like a garden variety hobby shop, and failed. It's gone.

For years Rosemont was the "go to" place for 1/72nd scale aviation geeks like us. He had cool stuff like:

- A resin set with corrected top wing, tailplane, and cowling to convert the Eduard Fokker Tripe to an F.I
- A resin fuselage and cowling for a Nie.11 and instructions on how to alter the wings of the old Revell Nie.17 to make an accurate model.
- Resin conversion sets to alter the old Revell D.VII to any one of the three manufacturers
- Vacuform observation balloons with rigging diagrams/instructions. I saw one of the Drachen vacs go for $150+ on evil-bay not too long ago.
- Vacuform lighter for RNAS Sopwith a/c
- and other assorted goodies.

We've all pined for the masters, and most of us I think agreed that the new owners threw them in the dumpster. Too bad, he certainly filled a void.

Warren

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 09:54:45 AM »
I recall that I had a set of Rosemont Fokker D.VII engine cowls at one time; I have no idea whatever happened to them .
Kevin

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 10:01:03 AM »
Buried somewhere, like most of my stuff.  :)

Warren

Online RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »
Warren,
You fgailed to mention the Roseplane Vacs and also that Rosemont was the Mecca for all WW1 Modelers and scales. I still have some Nieuport cowlings for the Academy kit in 1/32nd and he did a bunch for the Testors 1/48th kit. Really Miss those days!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

WarrenD

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »
Warren,
You fgailed to mention the Roseplane Vacs and also that Rosemont was the Mecca for all WW1 Modelers and scales.

No I didn't. I mentioned at least two vacs in my list and "other assorted goodies". However, mea culpa on the scales, I wasn't aware there were any other scales aside from 1/72nd. How quaint.  ::) ::) ;) ;) ;)

Warren