Author Topic: Why spent ammo chutes under Albatross D5. I thought it went in hoper?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Allan

My photo references show 2 small vents which were described as spent ammo chutes  next to the larger rear engine access panel. I had thought ammo collected in a hopper inside plane.  Are they for emptying the hopper?

So questions. are these actually ammo chutes?
What are they connected to internally if anything?

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Why spent ammo chutes under Albatross D5. I thought it went in hoper?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:41:19 PM »
i thought the cloth belt was collected in the aluminum hopper and the shells went out the chutes as you called them via the collection tray thingy that you can buy as an aftermarket upgrade from aviattic. as here: http://www.aviattic.co.uk/aviattic.co.uk/WW1_Accessories.html#2

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »
Nice photo Allan   ;)

Yes Albatros 1234 is correct. It is well illustrated in the Wingnut Wings instructions
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Allan

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »
Thanks for that :)
Jamo thanks for access to your pics. Sorry not to give accreditation but I couldn't remember where I had got them from. Im new to WW1 stuff and rather stumbling around. Especially when it comes to references.
Im in Christchurch incidentally :) Im assuming you got pics at Omaka?  Very cool museum. Might be going back there next week :)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 05:22:03 AM »
No problem at all Allan. I save stuff down from the internet all the time. The TVAL Albatros is based at Hood Aerodrome in Masterton and they are open to the public every weekend over the summer. TVAL have built four that I am aware of:

ZK-DVA 1st Albatros DVa (Josef Mai's crescent) the one in the photo
The second was finished in the markings of Adolf Schreder, Jasta 17, and was sold to Kermit Weeks who owns the Fantasy of Flight collection in Florida
The third was finished in the markings of Ltn. Kurt Jentsch, Jasta 61, and was exported to the RAF Museum collection in the UK.
ZK-TVE Albatros DVa (Rumey's african head)

I expect there will be more since they have the ability to make new Mercedes D.III engines.

I am in Wellington by the way. Nice to meet another Kiwi here  :)
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »
i thought the cloth belt was collected in the aluminum hopper and the shells went out the chutes as you called them via the collection tray thingy that you can buy as an aftermarket upgrade from aviattic. as here: http://www.aviattic.co.uk/aviattic.co.uk/WW1_Accessories.html#2

Sorry, late to this...

Actually, the "collection tray thingy" is the Fokker solution for the spent casings, the Albatros D.V does not use them; rather the shells go directly into to the tubes (being expelled in the front of the gun under the barrel) and are ejected out of the aircraft under the fuselage.

The Fokker solution was to deflect the shells with the aforementioned "tray thingy" to the side of the aircraft where they would be ejected into the slipstream.

If you google around YouTube you can find many clips of LMG 08/15s being fired which show the shell ejection mechanism.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 02:15:32 AM »
Given the scarcity of materials, I am surprised the Germans discarded the brass.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 02:31:22 AM »
Given the scarcity of materials, I am surprised the Germans discarded the brass.

...And kept the canvas belts. I know, seems odd, but that's what they did. Maybe the spent casings were considered a fire hazard?

Offline Allan

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »
Ah now I really understand. the shells go down the extractor but Id forgot about canvas belts!!  So thats what the small hopper is for . It gets full of empty belt.  I coldnt understand why there was a  small third hopper. So used to discriminating links. Doh !

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »
I've yet to find evidence that this was a common Albatros D series practice but assume so, I havent up to now spotted the  ejection tubes in any earlier Albatros pics.

If anyone has evidence on one of the earlier marks for or against I'd love to see it.
(Currently collecting info and bits for a Roden Albie DIII Future Project)

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo