Author Topic: Special Hobby MS Type AI  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Special Hobby MS Type AI
« on: August 30, 2014, 10:51:04 AM »
Has any of you guy's ever built this kit and can give me the low down on pit falls ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Jacek

Re: Special Hobby MS Type AI
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 03:37:20 AM »
I built it, a lot of you need to do yourself.
Here you have a link to the workshop:  http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2512.0
Good luck !
Jacek

Offline davecww1

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »
Also Terri, beware the engine, looking at Jacek's excellent build the crankcase looks to be much too large for a LeRhone 9J or else the cylinders are way too small, something looks strange to me.
Dave C

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:31:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply's guy's .

Jacek , you did one beautiful job on your build  :)

Dave , thanks for the heads up on the engine . The kit one isn't all that great and will source one from the parts bin .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline davecww1

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »
Hi Terri,
There are not many good ones to be found in the parts box probably, the one in Eduard's revised Nieuport 17 is actually the LeRhone 9C from the Nieuport 11 kit, this is nice for anything powered by the 80hp engine, but for a N.16, 17, MS AI, etc you need the 110hp version, which has the intake tubes reversed and on the back side of the engine, and the pushrods are also on the back side.  The best one I have seen in 1/48 scale is the Oberusel in the DML Fokker Dr.1.  This has the pushrods on the back side and the intake tubes on the back in the correct direction.  If you want to spend a little bit, the best aftermarket one I have seen is from our friend Lukasz, who has unfortunately switched from his beginnings to the more profitable 1/32 scale giants.
http://www.modelimex.com/1-48-le-rhone-9j-engine-resin-pe-set

Dave C