Author Topic: Morane Saulnier MoS.30.E1 Special Hobby 1/48  (Read 12809 times)

Offline Jacek

Morane Saulnier MoS.30.E1 Special Hobby 1/48
« on: October 26, 2013, 01:20:55 AM »
Time to start another model, this time I chose the MoS. 30E1.
I want to do it in an interesting paint scheme, with a flight school in Bydgoszcz.
Aircraft not fully repainted on the lower surface of the wing has not painted over French cockades.

Kit includes resin detailed engine, tires and propellers:

Polish markings and two photo- etched plates....

and two frames:

I never made a model of the Special Hobby kit, but I think I can do it  :D

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: Morane Saulnier MoS.30.E1 Special Hobby 1/48
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 01:45:16 AM »
Jacek, my friend, I have no doubts that you will make a spectacular model!
I look forward to following this build. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 02:40:15 AM »
I'm glad to see you taking on this one, Jacek.  I have this kit in my stash, so I'll be using your build as a guide.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »
Jacek,
Very good choice! The Morane is a beautiful aircraft and I am looking forward to seeing you make another Gem of a Model!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:56:27 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jacek

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 01:51:07 AM »
Very good addition to the set is resin engine.

The cockpit is not the best designed  :'(   As early second night thinking about how to improve it.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:33:52 AM »
Great looking engine, Jacek!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 03:20:57 AM »
Hello Jacek,

Lovely engine. I will follow your build as I like the Morane Saulnier pretty much. Good luck!

Kind regards

Patrick

Offline xmald

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 06:00:29 AM »
Jacek the engine looks really good! Are you going to add the sparkplugs and the electric cables?
Best regards
Filip

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 07:23:13 AM »
I recently built the Special Hobby Mos.29, AI that this kit appears to be based on. I can offer the following advice:

The cockpit parts will need to have their width reduced to fit inside of the fuselage. The instrument panel, in particular, is much wider than the interior of the fuselage and required considerable thinning of the insides of the upper fuselage halves to get a satisfactory fit.

The struts don't fit, being either too long or too short. I replaced some of the struts and modified the others. If I was to build the kit again, I would replace all of the struts as they are too thick and the strut binding locations too prominent. The cabane strut location points on the fuselage are not angled correctly and don't line up with the strut location holes on the underside of the wing

The stub axles on the landing gear cross member are too short and don't allow enough of the axle to protrude through the slots on the uprights to attach the wheels. Also, the central vee strut on the landing gear does not fit. The angle of the vee is too sharp to allow the upper attachment points to contact the fuselage in the proper place.

The tail skid fairing is molded off center, canted, and one sided is molded deeper than the other.

The vertical and horizontal tailplanes have weak attachments to fuselage and I recommend pinning them.

I'm sure none of the issues that I listed will pose insurmountable challenges for a gifted modeler such as yourself, but hopefully my experience will be of some benefit to you.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 07:40:43 AM »
The fit sounds like the only Special Hobby kit I have built(Mostly) to date. The SPAD VII has similar issues to contend with! Your engine looks terrific by the way!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 07:46:42 AM »
Beautiful job on the engine, Jacek.  You are off to a good start, my friend.
I look forward to your next updates.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »
Great progress so far Jacek, the engine looks superb, looking forward to seeing more.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jacek

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 04:22:30 PM »
I recently built the Special Hobby Mos.29, AI that this kit appears to be based on. I can offer the following advice:

The cockpit parts will need to have their width reduced to fit inside of the fuselage. The instrument panel, in particular, is much wider than the interior of the fuselage and required considerable thinning of the insides of the upper fuselage halves to get a satisfactory fit.

The struts don't fit, being either too long or too short. I replaced some of the struts and modified the others. If I was to build the kit again, I would replace all of the struts as they are too thick and the strut binding locations too prominent. The cabane strut location points on the fuselage are not angled correctly and don't line up with the strut location holes on the underside of the wing

The stub axles on the landing gear cross member are too short and don't allow enough of the axle to protrude through the slots on the uprights to attach the wheels. Also, the central vee strut on the landing gear does not fit. The angle of the vee is too sharp to allow the upper attachment points to contact the fuselage in the proper place.

The tail skid fairing is molded off center, canted, and one sided is molded deeper than the other.

The vertical and horizontal tailplanes have weak attachments to fuselage and I recommend pinning them.

I'm sure none of the issues that I listed will pose insurmountable challenges for a gifted modeler such as yourself, but hopefully my experience will be of some benefit to you.

Thanks Rob for your tips.
Much easier now I will make this model.

Are you going to add the sparkplugs and the electric cables?

I'm ashamed to admit, but I forgot about the spark plugs  :'(
I think it's too late, but I'll try come up with something

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:28:41 PM by Jacek »

Offline Zabu

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »
You did a great model choice Jacek, and you made quite a start too with that lovely engine.

Very nice .

Cheers

Offline Jacek

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 01:41:41 AM »
I worked on the cockpit, unfortunately Rob Hart was right, nothing not want fit in  :(
Roll up my sleeves shirt, I included "Hells Bells" AC/DC, and did something like this :)

The original detail:

Now it will be necessary it somehow fit in the fuselage  :D